Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
How do I figure out masking layers? >

How do I figure out masking layers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do I figure out masking layers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default How do I figure out masking layers?

Hey folks,

I'm sure that this has been addressed/answered here before, but I guess I'm having a blonde moment and can't find anything I search for today.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to lay out the masking layers in the more complicated designs. I know that you have work backwards from the lexan out, but some designs just totally confuse me and I have NO idea how they were accomplished. Are there some rules of thumb on laying out the different layers? I've watched videos that Charlie of CFX did, and they are awesome, but what I'm trying to do is to figure out how to 'Deconstruct' as it were, a paint job and figure out how to incorporate some of the techniques and effects into designs for my own cars. Not at all trying to steal someone's ideas, but just to figure out how to create similar effects. Is there computer software that will help?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kris
Old 01-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Generally, most people mask in one layer. The overlapping that you see in complicated desings is simply an effect of clever cutting out of this mask. dunno how much better i can do to explain it, so yeah...