Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Cheap paint

Alright, I'll confess that I'll blow a few hundred on a motor and ESC, a bill on new wheels/tires/hub adapters, and a few hundred more on lipos, but when it comes to paint, I'm pretty stingy. I'm only painting one, maybe two colors, but at $7 a pop for a can that will cover one shell, it just gets a little too expensive. Are there any hidden "magic bullets" out there in paint land? I know I may be a bit limited on colors, but even finding a good cheap black paint would be great.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!

I don't think there are any lexan specific paints that are availiable besides the pricy stuff, but one can can easilly do 3 bodies. If you are doing black you can likely do four bodies per can, which isn't all that much at about 1.75 per body.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Maybe I'm using too much paint, spraying at too far of a distance (8 inches). I do about 3 coats and I'm down to half of a 3 oz can, maybe less.

I don't want to have to deal with flaking and chipping beyond the exceptionally high wear areas, so I may just bite the bullet and buy another can.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by beatle
Maybe I'm using too much paint, spraying at too far of a distance (8 inches). I do about 3 coats and I'm down to half of a 3 oz can, maybe less.

I don't want to have to deal with flaking and chipping beyond the exceptionally high wear areas, so I may just bite the bullet and buy another can.
You may actually find that the lighter you apply the coats the better it may adhere to the lexan. Also, the paint doesn't have to be terribly thick either, especially if its black paint. As long as the paint isn't too transperant you should be fine with coverage and color.

Applications should be in light mists of paint untill there are no heavily transperant areas.

Also, what bodeis are these? I'm refrencing 1/10th TC bodies in everything i type.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Maybe size does matter... my most recent body was a Proline 1972 C10 longbed for my E-Revo.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by beatle
Maybe size does matter... my most recent body was a Proline 1972 C10 longbed for my E-Revo.

Very nice indeed, the truck shell is very simular in size to a TC shell.

Just remember, light coats, and only use what you need and you will be fine. Paint isn't cheap.

You could purchase some faskolor paint, then you can brush it on with a foam brush, but there are no garentees that it will look good or stick.