Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
need help getting my first airbrush >

need help getting my first airbrush

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

need help getting my first airbrush

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default need help getting my first airbrush

well i am finally going to get my first airbrush and paint my own bodies.
i am not sure which one to get ubt i am getting it locally as i have a coupon.
i have 4 options to choose from
all are badgers priced highest to lowest
model 150-5
model 175-7http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX8163&P=7
model 155-7 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX8157
model 155-1http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX8155&P=7

i am not wanting to spend a whole bunch. i am kinda leaning towards the 175 model.

would i be ok with this or would the 155-1 be ok
i want to get the most/best for my money.
oh yeah i have never tried to paint before.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Careful with the coupons.
My first airbrush cost me more with a Michael's coupon than if I had gone to Coast Airbrushes website. Probably would have saved me buying the wrong one too... Not saved me buying the 2nd, 3rd or 4th but I'm an addict.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

check out this site
http://www.dixieart.com/Dixie_Art_Su...Main_Page.html
Old 12-11-2008, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

www.cfxpaintshops.com
Old 12-11-2008, 04:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlie_b
How could I forget about that .................DOUH
Old 12-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

yeah i will be carefull with the coupon. i went and looked at the prices and there would be no way in hell i would buy there with out the one i have. its 50% off. just makes it come out to about 10 bucks cheaper depending on the gun.
the main reason i want to buy local is if i really suck i can return it. lol.
i will be useing the faskolor paints as a friend gave me about 7 bottles for free.

which gun would be the best to get. if i am going to buy it was to be before sat as the coupon will not be good anymore.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Adept

Personally the only Badger I would look at is the new Renegades. I had a 150 that just didn't hold a candle to the Iwatas after I took my first airbrush class. The Renegages however have been getting so good press as of late.
If you do go with a Badger stick with a gravity feed model, you waste a lot less paint and they are much easier to clean.
Your mileage may vary, but probably not by much.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Regular

they dont have any of the gravity feed models just the ones i have listed.. atleast in dual action.

i am not going to be a serious painter at all. not atleast right now.
i am just going to paint 2 bodies for my boys and might get one for me to do on my slash.

i can get the 175 kit with coupon for 75.

are these models listed that bad?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:37 AM
Tech Adept

Will they shoot paint, Yes.
Will they achieve the detail and reliability of a good airbrush, no. Will they be anywhere as easy to maintain, not at all.

It really depends on what you really want in the long run. If you just want to tape off and shoot designs the entry level Badgers will get the job done. Much beyond basic fades and some light drop shadowing they will begin to fail you.

They also come with a rubber oring for the paint. This means lacquers and solvents will destroy it. Again, not a deal breaker for you it sounds like but something to keep in mind.

The thing is without a coupon the Badger 175 is $75.95 from Coast Airbrush, The Iwata Revolution Hp-Cr is $68.95. You can also get them from Horizon at that price,so your local hobby shop should be competitive. If you call Coast they will beat competitors prices so you should save a few bucks.

It's really a matter of would you tell someone to buy the Megatech car or your Slash...
Badger and Paschee for the most part are living off legacy and being in Michael's. There main airbrushes have been around since the 50's for the most part unchanged. I found the 150 I bought from them to be one of the most disapointing purchases I ever made, especially when I took an airbrush seminar and used an Iwata Hp-Cs the first time.

Iwata is constantly listening to artists and refining their designs, having met and talked with the people at Aset (Us distributor of Iwata) they care about the industry and the consumer. As an airbrush artist, I hate to see people start of on the wrong foot and continue supporting companies that just don't care.

That all being said, if your bent on using the coupon I think the differences between the Badger siphon feed models is pretty much just packaging and marketing. Buy the cheapest and go with it.
They don't list the measurement of the needle/nozzle sizes and I don't get having to change nozzles for different spray patterns, that's what moving the gun further back and the trigger are for.