Wiki Posts
Search

Mazda Speed 6 Wing Question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Mazda Speed 6 Wing Question?

the wing on the speed 6 says to cut out the holes. did you guys leave it or cut it out. whats the difference if i cut it out or not in performance?

thanks
Old 09-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by s13evo
the wing on the speed 6 says to cut out the holes. did you guys leave it or cut it out. whats the difference if i cut it out or not in performance?

thanks
I assume your talking about the proline mazda speed 6 and not the tvr speed 6. The difference in cutting out the 4 slots in the lower part of the wing will be minimal, unless you're planning on going for record speed. In which case I'd recommend a different body. If you do decide to cut the slots out, and you use an exacto knife, be very careful as it can be easy to slice right through the supports that should be left intact. A rotary tool would probably be the best bet for removing the material, but you'll still need a steady hand. You might consider just blacking them out.
Good luck.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The protoform guy explained the handling changes by cutting them vs not cutting them but I cant remember the thread. It was in the onroad forum though.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

This is what Dale "the protoform guy" said about it;

"The slats in the wing have nothing to do with decreasing drag. They do however allow the boundry layer of air to "escape" thus bringing the "laminar flow" air to a lower level and better able to contact more of the surface area on the kicked-up part of the wing. The term Wing is a poorly chosen name that we all use. "Air deflector" describes it more accurately."

What this means in English is, that little kicked up section where the slots are to be cut (that section is actually called a slat, slots are the actual holes. his terminology is a bit off), pushes air up higher than the leading edge of the main part of the "air deflector" or wing. Theoretically this can actually create turbulent flow and a bit of a vacuum on the top side of the leading edge of the wing and doesn't allow the "laminar flow" to efficiently provide downforce over the full surface of the wing. The faster the car moves the higher the laminar flow is pushed (to a degree) and the more pronounced this effect becomes. Cutting slots in the slat eliminates most of this.

This makes for great theoretical discussion, but in a "real world" 1/10 scale situation the difference is so minimal you probably would never notice it. Don't get me wrong it's there but it's minimal. However, I'm sure if we wait long enough, someone will have a differing opinion.

I have noticed a lot of people are running those bodies and not cutting out the slots. You'll have to decide what you're comfortable with I guess.

Good luck.

Last edited by helibrian; 09-25-2008 at 04:45 PM.