R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography

Old 07-25-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default How do you cut in your designs?

I have been using masking tape and it is a pain to get it right and having to cut it while on the body makes it even harder.Was wondering if there are some tricks to the trade?
sm1nts2escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

One of the very best ways is to buy a vnyl cutter like a craft robbo or something like it. Then you design it on the computer, the cutter cuts the design on the vnyl and bang, perfect design without cutting on the body. The downside is thay cost over $200 for a small one so unless your doing bodies for profit its too pricey.

Myself I use LM either the stuff from Parma or Divelys, it takes some practice to get good cuts without heavily scoring the body but works better than tape for me.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:59 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

Talking cutting bodies

hey, would any of us be able to tell me or shoe me a link which shows me how to cut air hole in the car body. i hate always taking of the cover just to pour fuel in. If you know a video which shows how to do this it will be great
Thanks,
fpvgtking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

liquid mask is the way to go. easy to cut through, you can draw your design on the outside of the body since the lm dries a clear blue color. if you can lm is even better when you spray it through the right airbrush. did my first body the other day with it and it's been my best body yet.

fpvgtking: most guys that i see racing either have a hole cut in the windshield or the side window...... depending on where the tank is mounted and than they use a zip tie and make a loop on the gas cap and hang it out the open window.

sorry no pics i don't race i just paint bodies so it's stuff i seen done on the race track.
purerockfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:25 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by purerockfury View Post
liquid mask is the way to go. easy to cut through, you can draw your design on the outside of the body since the lm dries a clear blue color. if you can lm is even better when you spray it through the right airbrush. did my first body the other day with it and it's been my best body yet.

fpvgtking: most guys that i see racing either have a hole cut in the windshield or the side window...... depending on where the tank is mounted and than they use a zip tie and make a loop on the gas cap and hang it out the open window.

sorry no pics i don't race i just paint bodies so it's stuff i seen done on the race track.
Liquid mask! +1

Done by using liquid mask
Old 06-09-2009, 07:30 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Liquid mask and Xacto.

Vinyl is greeat for logos and detailed work on flat areas, but I struggle to use it effectively on very "unsmooth" areas of shells. Too much effort in getting it transferred in smoothly and aligned. Plus I'm too cheap to buy a cutter!

Colors By Dave - I love to paint
Colors_By_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colors_By_Dave View Post
Liquid mask and Xacto.

Vinyl is greeat for logos and detailed work on flat areas, but I struggle to use it effectively on very "unsmooth" areas of shells. Too much effort in getting it transferred in smoothly and aligned. Plus I'm too cheap to buy a cutter!

+1

KYOSHO AMERICA.com -Peakmotors.com - kyoshoforum.com - Team SlantEyEs - Hardkore Paint - JBRL Off Road Series - JConcepts.net
nc-hopsing is offline   Reply With Quote