Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hotrodchevy14
I know that if you use faskolor flourescents, do not back them with the canned white overcoat..it will crack. not sure about the rest.

I have never had that happen. Maybe one of the pro level painters will chime in on this. How bout it. Doug, Dodgeboy, Andy H, Charlie B?

Edit: I have never use the Fasflourescents. But I have never had that problem with the regular Faskolor.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I know that if you use faskolor flourescents, do not back them with the canned white overcoat..it will crack. not sure about the rest.
Usually that's caused by the base coat, in this case water based, not being fully dried. The water will eventually escape, and cause the over coat, in this case solvent based, to crack. Since the flourescent colors tend to be very light, and take several coats to get even coverage with enough depth of color, it only makes it worse.

Also, since the rattle bombs tend to spray rather thick coats, you run the risk of also trapping the propellant in the thick layer of paint, which, along with thick coats, can cause cracking.

I've been painting slot and RC car bodies since the mid 90s, never had a cracking issue related to paint that I didn't cause.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

The white Pactra fluorescent white back-coat WILL shatter and crack if you use it behind Parma Fasfluorescent. It's the ONLY cracked paint I have had in 27 years of painting since I did my first body with Testors model enamels in 1984.

There really isn't any reason not to use Faskolor white behind Faskolor fluorescent paints.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by squarehead
There really isn't any reason not to use Faskolor white behind Faskolor fluorescent paints.
I personally like to use Pactra white behind all Faskolor/createx colors. For 1 I think it coats better and 2 it easy. The Pacta spray fluorescent white is junk...stay away from it.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

I bought one of the new Z28 Camaro bodies. Can decide whether to try to match the orange they had that year, or just go black. This photo makes me want to go black too!

If I go orange, anyone been able to get a decent Faskolor orange? The standard one is blah. Maybe hit it with a little yellow and neon orange to brighten it?
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-69camaroblack.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-69-z28-01.jpg  
Old 03-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Tech Champion

I am feeling that black Camaro. Go have a look at Testors Custom Laquer System Grabber Orange. You can use the Testors CLS paints but dont use The Testors Enamel. Anyway look at the Grabber orange and I think there are at least two other oranges that you might like.

Edit: Link http://www.testors.com/category/1369..._Lacquer_Paint
Old 03-04-2011, 06:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I am feeling that black Camaro. Go have a look at Testors Custom Laquer System Grabber Orange. You can use the Testors CLS paints but dont use The Testors Enamel. Anyway look at the Grabber orange and I think there are at least two other oranges that you might like.

Edit: Link http://www.testors.com/category/1369..._Lacquer_Paint
The Testors Laquer colors are nice, but make sure that you use a green scrubbing pad to scuff the lexan and clean the body well before using, or it will flake. It sprays nicely, and lays out very even, and doesn't take much to cover and coat completely, but it's not as flexible as some of the other paints on the market.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Tech Champion

I never scuff and have never had a problem, but I do make darn sure that all of the mold release is washed off before I spray. I could have been doing it wrong the whole time and just been lucky, but thats my experience.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
I bought one of the new Z28 Camaro bodies. Can decide whether to try to match the orange they had that year, or just go black. This photo makes me want to go black too!

If I go orange, anyone been able to get a decent Faskolor orange? The standard one is blah. Maybe hit it with a little yellow and neon orange to brighten it?
I had a very similar color on my last Camaro- I started with 1 coat of Createx Flourescent Orange, then backed by 2-3 coats of Deep Red, Finished with White. It ended up a nice reddish-orange tone.

Last edited by BadSign; 11-17-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Try mixing the Faskolor orange with the Faskolor candy orange. A little Florescent orange may also help.

I love the Parma paint. It is so easy to mix custom colors.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think it's time to ditch the rattle cans and get an airbrush. I have two compressors, one big and the other small. Can I use one of these with a special regulator, or do I have to buy the air brush compressor? Also, please recommend an airbrush.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by woodys3b
I think it's time to ditch the rattle cans and get an airbrush. I have two compressors, one big and the other small. Can I use one of these with a special regulator, or do I have to buy the air brush compressor? Also, please recommend an airbrush.
Get a regulator and a moisture trap. For airbrush I like the paasche type H .You can also get a dual action airbrush from harbor freight for around $20 if your on a budget.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Get a regulator and a moisture trap. For airbrush I like the paasche type H .You can also get a dual action airbrush from harbor freight for around $20 if your on a budget.
I agree. I have a craftsman pancake type compressor and I shoot in the garage with a big drop cloth. But, you MUST have a moisture trap. Makes a big difference. I've got a dual action Paashe. Cleans pretty easy. And an old hairdryer will speed you up if you use Faskolor.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BadSign
I started with 1 coat of Createx Flourescent Orange, then backed by 2-3 coats of Deep Red, Finished with White. It ended up a nice reddish-orange tone.
It looks great. Where do you buy Createx?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by woodys3b
I use an Iwata HP-C and love it. I tried the bottom feeder types, but there's more parts to clean. It was a real hassle

It looks great. Where do you buy Createx?
The regular airbrush paints can be found at a lot of Craft / Art Stores: United Art Education, Hobby Lobby, etc. They are pretty much the standard. And cheaper than the Parma stuff, which is just re-badged.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.