Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyclone x
what window tint is that
Pactra rattle can........I don't like it. This is the second car I've used it on and it bleeds through. Not too bad on the Cuda but on my Datsun 510 it darkened the car color. I backed both cars with white before I used the tint. I prefer the Tamiya tint..........But it does look cool...........
Old 03-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've rarely heard of anyone who has been happy with the Pactra window tint (rattle can). I've seen many people post that Tamiya smoke (rattle can) is a good option for tinting windows.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I've always used Pactra candy colors for window tint, just didn't back them with anything.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Tech Adept

yep those pactra paints really workI always use tamiya window tint because it is always just right
Old 03-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Paint brands

I've used a lot of Pactra rattle cans, but not in the last 5 years or so, having had better luck with Parma Faskolor. The Pactra paint seems to be brittle and chunks off easily, even though I scuff the inside of my bodies. The Parma paint seems to stay flexible and doesn't come off even when the body is severely battered.

I can't get some of the colors that I want in Parma, though.

Anyone care to post why they prefer the brand they use?
Old 03-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

i use parma. easier clean up since you can use water (warm works better). and if you put paint somewhere you didn't want to, you can wipe it off with a damp paper towel. you can also make custom colors too.
did they thin out the paint or something? i used to have to thin it out when i used my airbrush.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trerc
Looks like outlaw black to me.
thats the pactra right and i airbrush but i dont like tamiya's smoke
Old 03-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Yep, Outlaw black is a Pactra Color, I was just saying they look painted black, not tinted. That was the big shit back in the day, we all use to murder out the windows.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Tech Adept

whats there not to like... is it too dark or flakes off? but if thats the case what is good smoke for windows
Old 03-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CHARLIE BROWN
whats there not to like... is it too dark or flakes off? but if thats the case what is good smoke for windows
I've been using the Tamiya stuff for years. It never comes off and you can control the shade, by building it up SLOWLY in light coats.
I always pre-warm my pressure packs in warm water, which helps get a more even finish.( with the smoke spray in particular)
Old 03-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I dont know what it is about the Pactra smoke but it will eat through all the previous work you have invested and bleed its way through. I have never had the Tamiya smoke do that. Therefore in my opinion the Tamiya smoke is a better performer than the Pactra.

I have nothing against Pactra. Their Indy silver is one of the best backing colors there is to use behind a Candy paintjob. I also like Pactra's Candy blue, but for a Candy red, I prefer Tamiya frost red. It has a deeper color. It's more like a dark cherry red. IDK its just deeper like the color of a red rose.

Parma Faskolor- Dont forget that you can use Createx from any Michaels or Hobby Lobby or Art Supply store. It is very similar to the Faskolor in makeup and is even compatible to mix with Faskolor to get differrent colors.

Testors Custom Laquer System - Completely compatible with lexan and available in several period correct colors for VTA. JUST DO NOT GET IT CONFUSED WITH THE ENAMEL TESTORS PAINT! Which is usually sitting right next to it in the store, and will not flex when the shell takes a lick. It will crumble right off the shell.

There are some others. Like Spazstix which is excellent but most of the time not worth the expense when Tamiya will do for about half the money. I think any laquer based automotive paint will work if you can buy it in small enough quantities to use for RC. House of color made something that worked for a while but they quit making it. I think you can still buy their automotive paints and use them.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:33 AM
Tech Adept

Check this out images52.fotki.com/v637/photos/8/1011428/8031...
Old 03-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

all I ever do is mist in black on the windows with the airbrush and pactra black
Old 03-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Tech Adept

Team Associated? Camaro!! forums.autosport.com/.../index.php/t121287.html
Old 03-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

That link goes nowhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.