Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am the lucky owner of the #55 Petty-colored body and couldnt be happier with Dodgeboy's work, they are absolutely awesome bodies, he also did the red mustang #5 for my son...Another body he did won the HPI Challenge Concourse competition here in NJ, #88 Camaro...

All of his Vintage Bodies can be found here:
http://bodiesbybean.com/gallery.cfm?partyid=33
Old 09-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Dodgeboy, nice use of color - especially the Mustang. Am I correct in assuming that those bodies are mostly paint and not decals? (numbers, bumpers, etc)
Like Ray said they are 100% paint other then my license plate logo on the back of the cars
Old 09-13-2008, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Some have said that my paint scheme is a little outside of the "spirit" of the class, but I disagree. I think it looks cool, and i can't help but do flames on just about everything I paint.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Twiztid Rock
My Cuda. Some have told me that the paint scheme is a little outside of the "spirit" of the class, but I disagree. I think it looks cool.

Looks sweet either way - but I'd have to agree, just a little bit outside the "spirit", especially considering all were factory paint (ie, off showroom floor) other than the Javelin and Gurney's Cuda
Old 09-13-2008, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

The green used is Key Lime. It's very close to Mopar's Sub-Lime color, available in Cudas, although no car in the Trans Am series used the color. The flames are a diffrent story, and the racing stripe has a marble look. I did the body before reading that wild paint scemes and flourecents were "frowned upon." This is the second body I did for the car, the first was trash, and I'm not doing a third. I saw a lot of cars at The HPI challange with wild paint schemes, so I just painted it like I always do. I kind of wish I did something more simple, but I hat being boring, and I hate to have my car look like everyone else.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The green used is Key Lime. It's very close to Mopar's Sub-Lime color, available in Cudas, although no car in the Trans Am series used the color. The flames are a diffrent story, and the racing stripe has a marble look. I did the body before reading that wild paint scemes and flourecents were "frowned upon." This is the second body I did for the car, the first was trash, and I'm not doing a third. I saw a lot of cars at The HPI challange with wild paint schemes, so I just painted it like I always do. I kind of wish I did something more simple, but I hat being boring, and I hate to have my car look like everyone else.
Well the car is beautiful. But I had to learn the hard way. There is a particular theme they are going for in the Official USVTA series. They want the whole race to look like a scale model of an actual Trans Am race from the early Seventies era. If you fail to realize that, you will get your feelings hurt while trying to defend the look of your car. The guys that are die hard fans of this series are serious about preserving the look of the race. While guys who just think its cool to race 4 cell classic muscle cars,(like myself) tend to conflict with that.

Like I said I think your car looks great, and I like the street look too, but when you realize what they are looking for, its a lot easier to pick out a color from the era and stay simple on graphics, like a Shelby stripe. Throw your numbers on there and make it look like a race car.

Some one here will try to be diplomatic about it. Others will go out of thier way to make you mad.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

No one will make me mad telling my my body is too colorful and creative, like I said, I didn't read that part until after painting it. The local races I run no one has a problem with it, and in truth it's not illeagal, it's just "frowned upon." I love that term. When I do a new one I'll make sure it's era corrct, and boring... ... I mean realistic.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

No Problem. I just wanted you to know where they were coming from. They really care about the look of the whole race. Now that I can see where they are coming from I dont mind doing it their way, but for some reason I find myself to lazy to paint my next shell.

Oh yeah, Just so you know where Im coming from, heres mine with its unconventional color, carbon fiber hood. I did switch to legal tires and wheels before racing.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No one will make me mad telling my my body is too colorful and creative, like I said, I didn't read that part until after painting it. The local races I run no one has a problem with it, and in truth it's not illeagal, it's just "frowned upon." I love that term. When I do a new one I'll make sure it's era corrct, and boring... ... I mean realistic.
I think it looks good . If you want to try a different style paint scheme try using paint schemes from the '70 nascar era like I did .
Old 09-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Tech Master

Hey fellas,
Question: When you two tone, what kind of tape are you using to mask off? Is it the normal painters tape? I've NO skills when it comes to painting, usually just run with a one tone and slap on some logos. For Vintage I'd like to have a couple two tone bodies. The work on this thread is incredible.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Tech Champion

looks like Im a "JUNKIE" for painting bodies now...thanks alot...seems like Im doing one every week..lol..here is the latest Cuda...I wanted to do a yellow...but once I painted the rear bumper I noticed it looked like every other yellow car out there...so mix and match with a little bit of screw up and oh well...the gun metal hood and spoiler are a 1st for me..and I got a set of rims to match,,,,
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-wednesday-night-ta-001.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-wednesday-night-ta-002.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-wednesday-night-ta-003.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-wednesday-night-ta-004.jpg  
Old 09-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Tech Champion

oh yeah here is my dude that hasnt picked what car he is driving yet..lol
I think these add a nice touch to the real deal racing
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-wednesday-night-ta-012.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-wednesday-night-ta-013.jpg  
Old 09-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

formerly the Warr's Auto 70 Cuda out of SC now the Agent 99 Cuda out of Greensboro NC......1st race King NC 9-20....
Old 09-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
oh yeah here is my dude that hasnt picked what car he is driving yet..lol
I think these add a nice touch to the real deal racing
Hey DARKSIDE, where'd ya get your dude???
Old 09-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Ray Murray
Hey DARKSIDE, where'd ya get your dude???

I got it from White House Hobbies...its the Tamiya buggy driver...got two more ordered to put in my Chevy and Bat-stang...wish I had the part #, but trash already got done...

nevermind....part#0225001....and it has this also...Z part:58124...hope this helps....

www.tamiyausa.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.