Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Old 11-10-2013, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Finished up this body yesterday. Its the 4th of 5 I'm doing for the same racer. This one is the classic Mark Donahue "Sunoco Camaro" that most think of when they think of Vintage Trans Am. He wasn't sure about numbers, so that will be a decal.

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-sunococamaro01r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-sunococamaro02r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-sunococamaro03r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-sunococamaro04r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-sunococamaro05r.jpg  

Old 11-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

very nice!
Old 11-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
Finished up this body yesterday. Its the 4th of 5 I'm doing for the same racer. This one is the classic Mark Donahue "Sunoco Camaro" that most think of when they think of Vintage Trans Am. He wasn't sure about numbers, so that will be a decal.

Excellent job!! The Donahue Sunoco Camaro was always my favorite Trans Am car!
Old 11-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks guys. The hardest part, as you might guess was getting that 1/16" yellow pin stripe mask in place and straight inside the body. That tested my patience. I wanted that to be paint because it sure wouldn't last on the outside of the body if it was actual pin stripe tape.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Tech Legend

Its called "Wing Joining Tape" and it comes from Great Planes or Carl Goldberg. Most shops carry it. 1", 2", 3" widths x 5'-0" long. Plenty for lots of bodies for about $4.00.
Just to confirm, this is the stuff right?

Great Planes Fiberglass Tape Heavy 1"x5'

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK254&P=7
Old 11-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cain
Just to confirm, this is the stuff right?

Great Planes Fiberglass Tape Heavy 1"x5'

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK254&P=7
Yes indeed! You will see a big difference in durability!
Old 11-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Tech Legend

cool thanks. I just finished painting up some challenger bodies so was looking to do some strengthening, will order.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Finally got the fifth VTA body done for the same racer in CT. This is Parnelli Jones' Boss Mustang. I tweeked the yellow a little to get it to match the real car. This is the HPI Boss Mustang. Rear spoiler is very cool. I did use the HPI black decals on the hood and sides. Applied those with Windex to make sure there were no wrinkles. I couldn't dupicate those as well with paint.

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-parnellijonesbossmustang01r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-parnellijonesbossmustang02r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-parnellijonesbossmustang03r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-parnellijonesbossmustang04r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-parnellijonesbossmustang05r.jpg  

Old 11-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Very cool, especially with your color mod.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Finally got the fifth VTA body done for the same racer in CT. This is Parnelli Jones' Boss Mustang. I tweeked the yellow a little to get it to match the real car. This is the HPI Boss Mustang. Rear spoiler is very cool. I did use the HPI black decals on the hood and sides. Applied those with Windex to make sure there were no wrinkles. I couldn't dupicate those as well with paint.

Excellent job!! Looks like the real thing!
Old 11-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
Excellent job!! Looks like the real thing!
Thanks guys. The custom color was not to hard to do. Just a little red mixed in to the yellow. I added a touch of white to bring it back up a little in terms of brightness. The Boss Mustang body really stands out and looks super scale. I'm surprised I don't see more of them on the track.

All of the VTA bodies I did are nestled together in a box on their way to the Northeast now. Sure hope they get there in good shape! The new owner and I have gotten to know each other over email. Good dude. So, they are going to a good home.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by redline511
Hey guys i have 2 races on my protoform (Trans Am) body and it is holding up quite well. I do however have a crack on the front fender but that is my fault. I ran the last 2 mins of my main after the hinge pin fell out and i dragged the front end around for a while. lol I still finished 3 too lol. I did shoo goo and tape the nose on and it is holding up well so far. What do you guys think of my paint job I painted everything but the stickers that came with the body. i could only get 2 pics up i will try to get more.
Looks really nice Redline! I'm working on one now for a local racer. First one I've airbrushed. Anything you'd do different on attaching the nose if you could? Wheel wheels are pretty small. I'm thinking most racers will have to trim those out a little for their chassis.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is the new body I just finished. Hopefully it will last through the season!

Old 11-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

That looks awesome. I want to use this body to make a copy of the BFG Tire Bird and use SW Tour's headlight and taillight decals, but I haven't been having any luck getting in touch with him recently.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Not the best pic. Here is one I helped a local with. Finished the rims and decals while he painted in my shop.

Looks good Josh!

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-image.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.