Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
THATS HOT!!!!...Love that white trim on the outside
working on a white and gold one now
Old 05-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Decathalon
Does anyone know the part number of the wheels HPI have on their '78 Pontiac Firebird? By the looks of it they aren't VTA suitable rims? Sorry this may have been asked answered before but I couldn't find it.
I dont think they are out yet...but Ill be running the Works on mine
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-3297_004m.jpg  
Old 05-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dodgeboy

YEEEAAAAHHH BOIIIII thats what I'm talking about, epic Hot Wheels replica right there good job
Old 05-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I also have had good luck with actual automotive window film.
I've heard that suggestion before...how do you apply it, just cut a piece and stick it on? I've never used window tint before.

I also had nothing but problems with Pactra Window Tint, at least out of a rattle-can. I won't ever use that again!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Tech Champion

The stick on film is unforgiving when it comes to the surface being dirty. But you can get a huge roll of it for maybe $13-15 at WalMart. It might cost as much as $20 but it will last you forever. Clean your surface very well and then spray it with Windex. While its wet Peel your backing away from the window tint and stick it on there. Hold it in place and rub the windex and bubbles out from under the film. A small squeege is valuable here. Lots of times one will come with the tint kit. Let the remainder of the windex dry. If there are any specs or dust particles you will see them stuck under the film. Its not so noticeable from any distance at all. I went to a local tint shop and asked them for scraps. I actually took a shell down there and showed them my intentions. The guy just saved me what he was going to throw away. He thought it was cool to see what I did with it.

I use the Tamiya smoke for carbon fiber hoods. I will not ever buy the Pactra spray on window tint again. If I have it I might be tempted to use it and it always screws up my project. I love the other Pactra products, but they should do us all a favor and scrap the spray window tint.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Awesome, thanks for the info! I figured I'd share my experiences with Pactra Window Tint. I had all the car painted except the windows, which were previously masked. I then would spray on a coat of PWT and leave it, and came back 30 minutes later only to find all these little black pips all over the windows. I was like, "WTF?! I thought that surface was clean and dust-free!!" So, I wiped it off and tried again...I changed the filter in my home-made mini-paint booth, as far as I could tell, there was no dust coming from anywhere, and painted again. Within 10 - 15 minutes, there were pips again, all over the windows. I immediately wiped it, and this time, I got a clear garbage bag, put the body inside it, put my hand with the PWT in it inside the bag, enclosed my wrist...now, there's no possible way for any dust to get inside...and sprayed again. To my utter shock & dismay--pips appeared within 5 minutes of spraying the PWT!!!

I think it's a major flaw in the paint formulation itself, it tends to collect in globs for some unknown reason, no matter how clean the surface is...it doesn't matter, you end up with pips! The product is horrible.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CHARLIE BROWN
YEEEAAAAHHH BOIIIII thats what I'm talking about, epic Hot Wheels replica right there good job
Thank you I got a couple more coming from the same series.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Coelacanth
I've heard that suggestion before...how do you apply it, just cut a piece and stick it on? I've never used window tint before.

I also had nothing but problems with Pactra Window Tint, at least out of a rattle-can. I won't ever use that again!
If you air brush like I do, just use the regular pactra black and fog it onto the windows . I just use a light mist coat and it comes out just right.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:17 AM
Tech Champion

If you air brush like I do, just use the regular pactra black and fog it onto the windows . I just use a light mist coat and it comes out just right.
Do you thin it? Extend it? Spray it from a distance?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:26 AM
Tech Champion

my wife like the colors...
Old 05-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default My new creation

Here it is
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_20120524_112323.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_20120523_195431.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_20120523_195549.jpg  
Old 05-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Cool body JKyte5! Here`s a shell I did recently, I know it`s not VTA legal, but sorta belongs here I think.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Old Milwaukee..."Tastes as great as its name!" Nice job.

Super job on the Checker Cab too... Wow! We used to have a "Bomber Class" raced around Indianapolis. This would have been perfect for that!

BTW, I Old Milwaukee lost huge market share when their female employees forced them to stop using the "Swedish Bikini Team" marketing program. I now I fell asleep crying every night when they pulled that plug.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Sorry, I guess it was Stroh's Beer, not Old Milwaukee. Maybe it wasn't such a good marketing program. I remebered the Swedish Bikini Team, but not the beer brand! Here's the lawsuit if you are interested:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...pg=2561,354032

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!
Old 05-27-2012, 02:00 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Clean VTA roller up for sale now
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vta2-copy.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vta-1-copy.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.