Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Old 12-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NutDriver
I want to get a skull like Indy's son's car so I can put a turban on it and make it Achmed the Dead Racer.
I literally stole it out of one of my kid's Halloween bags. It is super light weight. Just ran a body post through it and put a small screw through the top of the skull into the post top.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

If you haven't seen the new RPM faux blower/intake yet, here are some pics of my VTA Camaro with it mounted. I love the way this looks! I'm a hot rod guy from way back. Can't help it!

Its not Vintage Trans Am. I get that. Its more NHRA or street rod, but the attitude it gives your car is amazing. The RPM unit bolts through your hood. 2 hex heads with a reinforcing place from the underside. Those bolts pass through the blower unit into the scoop where they thread into the heavy duty RPM plastic.

Its a durable unit. Comes in chrome or black. Weight is about 20 grams and it causes drag of course. The front edges of the scoop are rounded, not sharp, so it shouldn't hurt carpet. The perfect scale add-on for just about any body you want. Rock crawlers, trucks, etc.

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-rpmblower68camaro01r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-rpmblower68camaro02r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-rpmblower68camaro03r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-rpmblower68camaro04r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-rpmblower68camaro05r.jpg  

DMD likes this.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I like it!
Old 12-31-2014, 03:47 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

In progress. Big flaw in the paint at the front of the stripe from the faskolor not adhering very well, but I decided to not fix it. It adds character. Lol.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-20141231_173106%7E01.jpg  
Old 01-01-2015, 04:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Not bad Dennis! I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DBM
In progress. Big flaw in the paint at the front of the stripe from the faskolor not adhering very well, but I decided to not fix it. It adds character. Lol.
Yeah, totally thought that was on purpose. The stripe looks great.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Did you wash the body first? I've never had a problem with Faskolor sticking great to lexan as long as it was washed squeaky clean.

Nice scheme!
Old 01-01-2015, 11:56 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

I washed the body thoroughly. I've only had this problem with white and black faskolor. Never with their other colors. Normally I use black pearl instead of straight black, but wanted to stick to straight black and red for VTA. Oh well....I kinda like the flaw. Haha.
As for the McAllister Camaro....I quite like it! Sleek, big splitter, 20g lighter than the pf firebird. I'll be trying it out in about an hour at practice.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The paint scheme looks great! It looks fast!!
Old 01-04-2015, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

I finished this one day before yesterday. (Ya, I have thing for orange.)

Its a PROTOForm J71 on my Associated TC3. It is a light body. When I run it, I'll need to add weight to get up to 1550 I imagine.

Interesting tidbit... you can switch back and forth from a HPI 68 Camaro to this body without having to re-adjust your body posts. Makes a quick change easy.

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-j71orangeblack01r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-j71orangeblack02r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-j71orangeblack03r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-j71orangeblack04r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-j71orangeblack05r.jpg  

DMD likes this.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Just my opinion, but I wish that the black was flat black.
Interesting info about the same body post heights for the J71 and 68 Camaro. Does that mean that the 69 Camaro does need different body post heights?
Old 01-04-2015, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Indy, how do you get such straight lines using liquid mask. Or when cutting the window mask. Mine never turn out that clean.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Just my opinion, but I wish that the black was flat black.
Interesting info about the same body post heights for the J71 and 68 Camaro. Does that mean that the 69 Camaro does need different body post heights?
I'm with you on the flat black. I'm thinking about making it flat. What I do for that is re-mask the outside and then shoot it with Matte spray. I use this Rustoleum Painter's Touch. Sticks great and a light coat will do it. Too cold in the garage to do it now!
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-image.jpg  
Old 01-05-2015, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Indy, how do you get such straight lines using liquid mask. Or when cutting the window mask. Mine never turn out that clean.
The black/orange lines were done mostly with green "Frogtape" which gives you nice crisp lines. As for the windows, you need a fresh cup of coffee, a bright light and then lay your X-Acto blade down as close to flat as you can go. That will make it track straighter than if you hold it upright. Try for about a 30 degree angle. You can practice on old masks. The more upright you hold it, the more wobble you will get.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Yes, there is a big difference with the 69 Camaro. It sits higher on the chassis than the 68 too. I still think the HPI 69 Camaro is the best looking VTA body. But that's just my bias.

Bad thing about the 69 is that the nose gets damaged a lot quicker than the 68. Just does. The lexan is thinner and the way it's formed is easier to squish. The 68 is really durable. That's why so many guys run them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.