Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

I mark the post locations, paint, cut, drill and mount. I find it easier to mask and lay out designs when the body is not cut out.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm reading all of your post about this and just thinking about the race when this pretty good sized fella fell out on to the track and my car. Since then the post have been wonky. I don't think can go through this body painting process again until I have some straight body post. They just play too big of a reference for me.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moparSRT
you like doing things backwards
I do everything backwards. It works for me. Lol
Old 05-09-2014, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fermanracer
I cut out and mount the body before I paint, just to ensure it will fit right and line up. overspray doesn't matter cuz of the film.
I always cut bodies out before I paint them too. You get a much better fit and post location. And, you can sand the edges (to reduce cracking) with out fear of scratching anything. Body scissors scratch up a finished paint job too. It's almost unavoidable on wheel wells
Old 05-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
I always cut bodies out before I paint them too. You get a much better fit and post location. And, you can sand the edges (to reduce cracking) with out fear of scratching anything. Body scissors scratch up a finished paint job too. It's almost unavoidable on wheel wells
you do things backwards to. but it works.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Posting pics for a New Member RATTLEKAN

Here ya go man!

Old 05-10-2014, 07:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

That McStang is looking pretty good!

Originally Posted by fermanracer
you do things backwards to. but it works.
Lol, I trim my bodies prior to painting as well. But I only do it if I have the chassis that it's going to be mounted on in hand. If I'm painting a body for someone else often I don't have that luxury.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Have a technical question. I'm trying to dye some rims. I just melted my first set and there is not realy any color on them.
How do I do this??
Old 05-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeboy
Have a technical question. I'm trying to dye some rims. I just melted my first set and there is not realy any color on them.
How do I do this??
They have to by nylon based.

Bring a pot of water to a boil, maybe about a gallon. Turn it down to just a simmer, add Rit dye color of your choice (powder and liquids both work), and drop your wheels in. I like to tie them on a string and hang them from a spoon on top of the pot so I can pull them out easily. Check them every min until they have taken the amount of color you want. Rinse them off in cold water when done.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
They have to by nylon based.

Bring a pot of water to a boil, maybe about a gallon. Turn it down to just a simmer, add Rit dye color of your choice (powder and liquids both work), and drop your wheels in. I like to tie them on a string and hang them from a spoon on top of the pot so I can pull them out easily. Check them every min until they have taken the amount of color you want. Rinse them off in cold water when done.
Ok thanks for the info. I'll try it with the set I screwed up already. ie melted
Old 05-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Tech Addict

I use the smallest glass (corning) dish that will hold the wheels. That way I can keep the dye to water ratio correct without wasting it. I use about half a bottle of the liquid eyes time I dye. I use glass because it can't be stained by the dye.

But I don't boil the water. No need. Just get it really hot. Dye takes just fine.

BTW, I've noticed different sets of HPI white wheels are different colors of white. There are some that are bright white and some a little more yellow. I only dye wheels that start off the same because they won't take the color the same.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

I've always wondered if you could dye a lexan body, then paint it. Would look nice on windows. I used to dye RC airplane canopies all the time, but I don't know if they were lexan. Anybody tried this?
Old 05-11-2014, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
I've always wondered if you could dye a lexan body, then paint it. Would look nice on windows. I used to dye RC airplane canopies all the time, but I don't know if they were lexan. Anybody tried this?
I would think that dying a body might work, BUT......How could you mask off the areas the you do not want colored?
Old 05-12-2014, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

I don't think you could mask them off. You'd just have to compensate for the tinted color with colors that worked behind the tinted if that makes sense. In other words, you couldn't do bright white, but bright white would yield gray behind a charcoal tint.

You'd have to play with it and understand that backing a blue tint with red would give you a purple body with transparent blue windows.

Here's what a tinted R/C airplane canopy looks like. These are just soaked in RIT dye. I need to experiment and see what's possible sometime.

The other pictures are of a buggy I saw elsewhere. Transparent candies used there. You can use those on the windows only too of course. To set it off.

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-hanger-9-extra-300-9.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-blueb4candy1.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-blueb4candy3.jpg  
Old 05-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

I brought this up on the VTA paint forum about tinting windows, but I guess it probably belongs in the custom paint area more. Sorry about that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.