Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ASM
Scott - fantastic work on the front and rear of this body. All I can say is WOW!!
Thanks ASM! We were going to try to lightly spray some side scallops to match the Charger, but if it didn't look right, it would spoil it. So, we held off. He's thinking about a second one so that he can keep one nice body for display.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was with you until you said 1/8th.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I was with you until you said 1/8th.
Me to . . . . .
Old 04-05-2014, 03:28 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
Thanks ASM! We were going to try to lightly spray some side scallops to match the Charger, but if it didn't look right, it would spoil it. So, we held off. He's thinking about a second one so that he can keep one nice body for display.
Your work has insipired me to go ahead and start what I believe will be a pretty unique and period correct scheme for my Southern Nats body this year. I kinda tied in paint scheme that was used back in the early 70's at my hometown 1/8 mile oval track. Got paintinpete on the job

Thanks for the inspiration!!
Old 04-06-2014, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Finished this one today for a VTA racer. He wanted a "YENKO Camaro" which was a super high powered version of the Camaro you could buy. Some of you may remember from back in the day. If you google "Yenko Camaro", you will learn about the history. Real ones sell for a pretty penny now!

He didn't send along the decals or the rear spoiler. He said he didnt run the spoiler. I custom mixed the paint to match that era. I think I'm pretty close. Rockstar helped me with masks (thanks!).

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-yenkocamaro01.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-yenkocamaro02.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-yenkocamaro03.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-yenkocamaro04.jpg  
Old 04-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes sir that one is mine. I did not see any Yenko's and I know that they never raced in VTA. But they are so much a part of that era, so I thought why not......
I think Scott did a fantastic job!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Here is a question for the painters in the group. I am wanting to do a matte black paint scheme, but I want to paint the body on the inside. How do I make the finish matte?
(Yes, I know that painting it on the outside will basically do that, but that's not what I want to do)

Scott
Old 04-06-2014, 07:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
Here is a question for the painters in the group. I am wanting to do a matte black paint scheme, but I want to paint the body on the inside. How do I make the finish matte?
(Yes, I know that painting it on the outside will basically do that, but that's not what I want to do)

Scott
color on the inside; flat clear the outside.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yep. Tamiya has a clear frost that works well. If you use factory decals then you should decide if you want them to be matte finish or not. If you do then paint them as well.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Guys, he said he wants the paint on the inside. Honestly, I'm not sure what you could do to achieve a flat or satin finish on the outside with only paint on the inside. Maybe lightly media blast the painted sections on the inside prior to paint? I really don't know if you have many options?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Thank you for the responses. While TommyR is correct as to what I posted, I did get the answer that I was looking for. Thank you all. ☺
Old 04-07-2014, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You can also scuff up the areas you want to look flat with Scotchbrite or a lite sand paper. Then, flat black spray paint. This gives a decent flat look, but for best results, do this for both the inside AND outside. The inside coat hides the scratches that happen on the outside.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tommy R
Maybe lightly media blast the painted sections on the inside prior to paint?
Maybe a company that has a corn blaster. They use ground corn instead of sand to blast wood, jewelry and other delicate surfaces.

I have seen a method using a chemical that turned the glossy Lexan surface flat. I'm thinking it was something like finger nail polish remover? Sprayed on? Don't take my word for it. Hopefully someone else will remember. Basically, it melts the surface and then evaporates.

I know I've tried to use CA remover on Lexan before and it reacted with the surface. You'd have to spray it and hope you got an even reaction.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Good point, Indy! I once used Goo Gone to remove adhesive residue from a lexan body and it left the surface very hazy. Might be tough to get a consistent finish, however.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

IN MY EXPERIENCE...
Regular Goo Gone that comes in a plastic bottle does NOT affect lexan bodies.

On the other hand...
GOOF OFF that comes in a metal can DOES react negatively with lexan bodies.

I made the mistake of trying to clean off some sticker residue with Goof Off in a window area and it fogged up the lexan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.