Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Tech Adept

Here is my first attempt at painting a body. Not too bad for being a noob!

Old 04-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Good job baja. I like it.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

nice choice of bodies too!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Looks great Baja. The only thing I would have done different is to cut the body out first. Some of the instruction sheets show painting first and cutting it out second. That's fine if you are selling the body or don't know what chassis you are putting it on. But, every time I tried to cut out a body after I'd painted it, the scissors scratched the paint. You'll just have to be careful.

My son found this very cool 1970 Challenger on his Gran Turismo game! Looks good with the black hood and Dodge logo. Might make a good one to try to copy in the future I think.

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-challengergrantourismogreenvta-001.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-challengergrantourismogreenvta-002.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-challengergrantourismogreenvta-003.jpg  
Old 04-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Speaking of Mopars... Is there any way to get a flat finish while still applying the paint on the inside of a Lexan body...such as the hoods of many of these cars? I know the outside could be painted, but that'll get easily scratched off in impacts.

I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done to the hood area prior to painting to achieve a flat or even semi-gloss effect. I bet a light media blast would do the trick...but it might be risky!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tommy R
Speaking of Mopars... Is there any way to get a flat finish while still applying the paint on the inside of a Lexan body...such as the hoods of many of these cars? I know the outside could be painted, but that'll get easily scratched off in impacts.

I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done to the hood area prior to painting to achieve a flat or even semi-gloss effect. I bet a light media blast would do the trick...but it might be risky!
I"ve seen some try to sand with scotch bright pads, but it always looks uneven. I've been using Rustoleum's new "Matte" spray for plastic. It works great and is super flexible. Seems to stay stuck very well too. And, I figure at $4 a can, I can just retouch it if it ever gets messed up. I've raced a couple of VTA bodies with it on the hoods and spoilers quite a bit and its worked just fine. In our area, Lowe's didn't carry it, but Menard's did. So you may have to search a little. The Tamiya flat is super expensive and out of stock wherever I looked.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-matterustoleumspray.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-mattefinish1.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-mattefinish2.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-mattefinish3.jpg  
Old 04-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Tech Addict

That looks fantastic, Indy! So you just paint the black like usual and apply this to the outside? Looks really good! Thanks!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tommy R
That looks fantastic, Indy! So you just paint the black like usual and apply this to the outside? Looks really good! Thanks!
Yes, just like that. The other thing you'll notice is that I just sealed the decal/stickers right in. I'd test your stickers first, but the typical ones we use in R/C cars don't seem to be affected. The thin decal ones like are used on plastic models might be affected, so test first if you are using something like that. It dries really fast, so I used a couple of thin, light coats. Warning: Super stinky! If you want your wife to remain your wife, do not spray it in the house.

I also found that when I'm done racing, I can still use Naptha or denatured alcohol to clean the body and it doesn't hurt that paint a bit!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Tech Addict

Great info. Thanks again! I'm still quite pleased with my Sunoco Camaro, but my next body may include a flat black hood so I appreciate the tips.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
Looks great Baja. The only thing I would have done different is to cut the body out first. Some of the instruction sheets show painting first and cutting it out second. That's fine if you are selling the body or don't know what chassis you are putting it on. But, every time I tried to cut out a body after I'd painted it, the scissors scratched the paint. You'll just have to be careful.

My son found this very cool 1970 Challenger on his Gran Turismo game! Looks good with the black hood and Dodge logo. Might make a good one to try to copy in the future I think.

I too was just about to post these RM cars from Gran turismo 5, I have 2 Camaros, (with more on the way), a challenger, (also with more on the way), I could post these as soon as I take pics/upload them from PS3.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:36 AM
Tech Adept

I started to get the stickers placed last night. The AAR stripe really came out nice IMHO! My idea with the red to make it stand out more looks better than I thought it would!

Old 04-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default flat back in black

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-20130404_120224.jpghere is mine
Old 04-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sewerdog
Attachment 1052211here is mine
Reminds me of a Mad Max car with the flat black paint. I like it.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BajaSkidmark
The AAR stripe really came out nice IMHO! My idea with the red to make it stand out more looks better than I thought it would!

I agree. I would have looked at that red stripe on the sticker sheet and thought that it might not look good... but it looks great! Maybe because purple has red in it? Dunno, but I like it. You've got a sharp car body to run now!
Old 04-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There is a bit of art to creating a cool looking body. Having the foresight to paint the red specifically for the AAR stripe is truly inspired. Also a few well placed decals can elevate something from meh to wow.

Looking forward to a pic of the body completed and mounted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.