Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
Not sure why they even have you put numbers on your cars if you are using electronic scoring. My local tracks don't do it.

You are correct in that most local tracks don't do this for their club racing. However, at major events it's usually required so the race director or referee can easily identify a car if needed to call them out for unsportsmanlike conduct and other stuff. It is also a fall back if electronic scoring should fail as Rodarbal pointed out.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default car numbers

The numbers also add to the realism, as that was the standard in Trans Am. It certainly gives the cars a more authentic look.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
Does everyone run unique 'vintage' numbers? If so you may be able to convince your RD to go with those, especially if you have them in the 4 locations we are supposed to.
Tommy, the man's got a point here. You can ask our RD to give you #6 every week.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rodarbal
Tommy, the man's got a point here. You can ask our RD to give you #6 every week.
I'd thought about that, but didn't really want to be a bother to our RD. But if it's not a big deal to make such a request, I may give it a try tomorrow. BTW, I totally understand the need for temp numbers for parking lot tracks and for large scale events.

Oh, and I now have a different driver installed. I really liked the Losi SCB driver I'd been running, but all that weight hanging on the driver's side really made it difficult to corner balance it.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

When the track assigns numbers it is based on the timing and scoring system. You are car number x in the computer. Since many timing and scoring systems have a limit to how many cars can be in a heat, an assigned number will usually be 1-10.

As far as WHY we need numbers in VTA - scale realism. Fortunately all of the HPI bodies come with either a number that can be used (or modified), a white circle for the number, or both. Even if a body doesn't come with a number, there is no need to have to go out and specifically buy a vinyl number decal.

In a pinch I've used a few strips of battery tape and made my car #11. You could also use electrical tape as well. It would be easy enough to make a #1 or #7 (1, 7, 11, 17, 71) with just a a few pieces of tape (and a couple of minutes).

As far as the HPI '68 Camaro, it comes with (4) number 9 or 6. Because it is a block style number, you can use some scissors or a hobby knife to modify it to be almost any number from 1-9.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
When the track assigns numbers it is based on the timing and scoring system. You are car number x in the computer. Since many timing and scoring systems have a limit to how many cars can be in a heat, an assigned number will usually be 1-10.
Oh we all know that, but since it's usually the same group of us running the same classes week after week our RD is usually laid back enough that he can give us a number if it's not already taken.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

ATX racers just tell our RD what # you have and he'll put it in. I usually run #5 and all I have to do is let him know what # I run with. It also save on the costs of those #s.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pit-racer
ATX racers just tell our RD what # you have and he'll put it in. I usually run #5 and all I have to do is let him know what # I run with. It also save on the costs of those #s.
Thanks, Pit! That's awesome!
Old 03-30-2013, 03:22 AM
Tech Elite

This will be my entry ..... Modern ol skool
Old 03-31-2013, 02:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Three
Changing the name of this thread to the "Indy Hobbies paint" thread.
Your cars look marvelous, although I worry about some of the drivers you use.
His best work to date isn't a VTA car unfortunately. I'll post it here because I'm so proud of it as he painted it for me.

Mimics the original BMW art car.

He's done a Camaro with a similar scheme. When I get it mounted up I'll post a pic here.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:24 AM
Tech Regular

^^^ That looks awesome! So does the Mopar above it. Wow. My painting skills are very pedestrian..
Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by .crispy
His best work to date isn't a VTA car unfortunately. I'll post it here because I'm so proud of it as he painted it for me.

Mimics the original BMW art car.

He's done a Camaro with a similar scheme. When I get it mounted up I'll post a pic here.
Do.Want. I wanna see the camaro version too
Old 04-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CHARLIE BROWN
Do.Want. I wanna see the camaro version too
All in due time. He used a different yellow. So I had to dye up some vintage wheels in lemon yellow to match.

I'm saving it for the Southern Nationals.

It does NOT reflect the spirit of VTA!

"It is highly preferred that bodies are detailed in race type livery in period-correct paint schemes. Fluorescent colors, wild graphics, chromes and non-period correct paint schemes are frowned upon."

I guess "they" will have to frown...
Old 04-02-2013, 06:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

lol
Old 04-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Tech Rookie

does anyone here has used bodies to sell?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.