Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
I like it...nice...dont forget your numbers
Thanks! Don't worry, I won't. I left the meatballs blank intentionally so I can add whatever number I'm assigned by our local club for that particular race day.

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Hey RJ, I love the Texas license plates! Did you print those yourself?
Yessir, I did! I originally was talking about this with Tommy R who sent me a link to one of his crawler sources who makes some VERY nice, scale plates. They put them on aluminum, even so you can crinkle them to make them look even more scale. Too nice for my blood. Then Bill Delong started printing off his own and offered to make decals for local racers. He referred me to this site: http://acme.com/licensemaker/

But since the ACME generator didn't have the new (2012) Texas plates I ended up creating my own. I printed them to scale (1.2" x 0.6"). I didn't want just a sticker, so I mounted them up on some Lexan, cut them out and voila! Technically they're incorrect as there's supposed to be a Texas State shape in the middle, but oh well.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rodarbal
Not period-correct, but my '66 Mustang Coupe matches the rest of my racing livery. This color scheme has earned the nickname "Tony the Tiger" at our local tracks. LOL. I love Frosted Flakes and all, but it wasn't intentional. Obviously, I still need to raise the body posts to meet the 5 mm min. I also have a Tamiya molded driver to stick in there.

Could this paint scheme have run 'back in the day'? Sure. There are a several examples of real cars that had different or non-typcial paint schemes (based on the type of car). Personally I would tweak a few items (no fade on the blue/locate the meatballs in the center of the doors), but the scheme is a good one.

Thanks for sharing the idea for creating scale license plates (using scrap lexan & decals). I need to add this to the list of all the great ideas I've learned from this thread.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Thanks, Indy! Yeah, the meatballs were an afterthought. They're decals and none of my other cars have them. If they start getting on my nerves I might end up with other methods of showing my four numbers. I've used this scheme on several other cars including my USGT, 1/12, F1 and stadium truck. Wasn't sure if I was going to pull it off on a VTA car, but I'm happy with it.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Did the real Trans Am series require meatballs with numbers in the earlier years? It seems like some of the cars from '68 onward simply used large numbers on the doors with smaller numbers on the hood/trunk sometimes without white circles. A good example of large door numbers is the '68 Javelin (The body style before the Protoform Javelin). I really like the AMC red/white/blue scheme on the car below

1968 Javelin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/telstar/478439367/

The more typical blue/white/red scheme

1969 Javelin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimculp/2465232335/

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 03-11-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The "Blue Crew"
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dscn1056.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dscn1058.jpg  
Old 03-14-2013, 04:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
Here is a couple shots of the VTA cars that ran at my local track today.

Man thattrack looks awesome!! i wish i lived close enough tp run on that!!
Old 03-14-2013, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Indyonroad
The "Blue Crew"
Great looking blue. I've seen it in person. 1st class paint too.

The driver looks just right. Some guys mount them so it looks like a little kid is driving, and others so that Wilt Chamberlain is driving. Yours is just right.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

I would fall into the category of my VTA driver figure needing a booster seat to see over the dash...lol.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Great looking cars in this thread!! makes me want to get another body and get creative
Old 03-16-2013, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Fresh 'Cuda body in AAR style. Not my best paint work but this is a race body so I'll live with it.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:51 PM
Tech Master

Lookin good! I'm liking the flat black hood and the black wheels give it a sinister look.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

I iairbrush bodies on the side for extra hobby $. I've had times where I had several to do at once, but never THREE '68 Camaros at the same time! Ha! VTA heaven.

One was missing its window masks, so I had to make some for that body.

Pics of the finished bodies will be posted later this week most likely...

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-camarosxthree-.jpg  
Old 03-18-2013, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Default HPI 67 Corvette

Yes, I know its NOT LEGAL for USVTA! (But, I still wish is was.) I figured you guys would at least like to see it, even if its not a body that can be used for official races. This is an HPI 1967 Corvette done with Faskolor Purple. Its VERY purple!

We have a Hoosier Tire dealer right here in Brownsburg, IN where I live. They supply many oval track racers and other racing groups as well. They are always quick to help out the Scouts and the local Chamber as well with events and sponsorships. They gave me the "Hoosier Tire" sponsor decals and I thought they looked perfect on the Corvette. The wing is so that I can race this body in USGT if I want to someday. Its made for the Corvette body, so it matches the rear radius.

Going to take the finished car (TC3 Chassis BTW) to them today to show them the finished product. I'm sure they will like it. Have you ever noticed the "H" on the HPI tires is a match for the "H" in Hoosier Tire?

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-corvette67purple-022r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-corvette67purple-023r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-corvette67purple-024r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-corvette67purple-025r.jpg  
Old 03-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Took this yesterday. Out in front of the Hoosier Tires Truck. It was loaded and heading south to a race track with gobs 'o' tires!

Old 03-22-2013, 04:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I've been wanting to do something different for my USVTA body. I've been running Carl Seil's " Allen Green Chevrolet " scheme on the last 4 bodies.

I'm a huge NHRA fan and like the look of John Force's team cars. I sent Carl some pics via email and this is what I got back. As always he sized everything perfectly. I thought that the GTX High Mileage scheme fits a vintage class car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.