Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by andyh
Testors Model Masters Custom Laquer System #28134 Flat Black.

You can use the entire line for Lexan, we (HPI) use it for 60% of our display bodies. They have some really cool GM, Ford, etc real colors also

http://www.testors.com/catalog_brand...br=4&ictNbr=95

Thanks,

AH

What color and brand of paint did you use to get the metalic red on this camaro and what color did you back it with? The paint job is very nice.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
If you back Pactra Candy Purple with yellow you can achieve a brownish hue. I found this out by accident, but you might be able to achieve an interesting result.\

this is what happen with the black...didnt like it...but will try white this time
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-wednesday-night-ta-025.jpg  
Old 08-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by shamu
What color and brand of paint did you use to get the metalic red on this camaro and what color did you back it with? The paint job is very nice.
Looks rich doesnt it. I would try Pactra Candy apple red then backed with Indy silver. That will get you in the ball park. The red on this car was done with Candy red on top then the backing layer fades from Indy silver to metallic red.

I may shade a 69 Camaro shell from the lighter red to the darker. I like the deep candy colors.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default ....

Originally Posted by shamu
Tamiya Frost Red PS37 backed with either chrome or bright silver (I've tried both and the chrome gives off a finer shine, unfortunately I don't recall on this one, the body has since been turned into a runner and it's mia ) We need to get Testors to make this color... Basically it's the king of RC/Lexan safe Candy Apple Red.

The Flat Black and white is Testors Custom Laquer System Flat Black and Wimbledon White (woo hoo Wimbledon White in a can.....yes after having to mix it nine million times over when we first came out with the GT350 )

We also always back all our photo/catalog bodies with black (...complicates things if there is a white section, you will have to make sure the white is 100% and backed with silver). Basically it looks much better in photos as you don't see the colors inside through the windows and also if there are angled shot by the wheel cutouts etc...

Thanks,

AH

Last edited by andyh; 08-30-2008 at 07:15 PM. Reason: added text
Old 08-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks Andy I have never tried the Frost Red from Tamiya. Maybe its the lighting but it sure looks deep in that photo.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:43 AM
Tech Regular

Yes it does look rich.Andy & Snoopy,thanks for the reply I was looking for a color change for my touring cars thanks again.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:15 AM
Tech Champion

thanks guys for the input on the purple....I took grape pearl and backed it with a light mist of metallic blue and tamiya silver....then shot the whole thing with sprint white...and one last coat of silver...came out 20x's better than the 1st one..thanks alot for the help
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-wednesday-night-ta-051.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-wednesday-night-ta-052.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-wednesday-night-ta-053.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-wednesday-night-ta-054.jpg  
Old 08-31-2008, 12:33 PM
Tech Champion

If you look at differrent silvers available, Tamiya has several in differrent shades and Pactra has more attention to the grain of the metal flake. But you can get more specific in what you want in a candy color by using differrent metal flake silvers underneath. I think you did well by using a metallic blue instead of just a blue. It was also good to use a silver then the white to back it with.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Gold is another choice to back up some "candy" colors, it gives a little more depth than silver does.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Nice purple 'Cuda Darkside! Never thought to do a purple/white body. Could you try to post a picture of your car taken outside. I would love to see how that body looks under natural/bright lighting conditions.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

ok try these...Im no photo guy but I try...lol
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-wednesday-night-ta-076.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-wednesday-night-ta-075.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-wednesday-night-ta-073.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-wednesday-night-ta-071.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-wednesday-night-ta-064.jpg  

Old 09-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Tech Champion

also my paint skill is on the rise...lol..this is 1 reason...ck it out

we would like to invite all to join us in Nashville,TN for

Music City Championship
Sunday, October 5th (9:00a - 6:00p)

http://www.coolspringsracing.com/Mus...mpionship.html

http://www.coolspringsracing.com/Home_Page.html

this will be the biggest on-road race of the Summer...we will have trophies for top 3 in each division,TQ,Best paint-modern muscle&vintage,driver of the year, free food, 3 seperate divisions, 4 heats and mains,and still only $15 to race with pre-registration...and lots more...

oh..did I mention...all coming more than 100 miles...you race for FREE...so if nothing else come eat for free & race free and have a really good time...you must pre-register...it ends Sept.28th.....goto the link fo all the details and if you still need any extra info call me or pm me...615-851-1876

Last edited by DARKSIDE; 09-01-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
ok try these...Im no photo guy but I try...lol
The purple looks better in some light. I like the orange "rustang", lol. What's with the spoiler, rules say no spoilers.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KE4PJO
What's with the spoiler, rules say no spoilers.
Actually, here's what the rules say:

Originally Posted by the rules
Body provided deck lid spoilers allowed (not wings).
Old 09-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

Thats true...but since some bodies come with some and others dont...we decided not to allow spoilers at all...it just keeps the confusion down..Im mostly to blame but I like the Mustangs better...but didnt come with any spoilers...so I made one ...it was no bigger than the factory ones...but it caused alot of negative vibe...so our RD decided to eliminate them all together which I think is very fair....

when it gets to race day it wont be there...thanks for the help on the pics.. Im doing one for the MCC now...and its for my TC5...YUMMY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.