Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Old 03-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Thanks Indy. I got all that but judging from this post he's still confused. Why would he still be looking for a 190mm vintage body ??
Have a look at the attached pictures. This is my HPI Camaro body on my Tamiya TA04 chassis. The wheel arches extend past the wheel by 6mm in the front and 8mm in the rear. With my TA05, its 6mm front, 7mm rear. That looks too big to my eye. About 5mm too big.

I didn't think this would be a big puzzle. VTA is electric cars. Electric cars are 190mm. I want a 190mm body for my electric car. The HPI vintage bodies are 200mm. That's too big. I don't want to buy a new chassis or mess up my geometry trying to close the gap. I want the body to fit the car. Do you buy shoes that are too big and then put on ten pairs of socks?

HPI makes lots of bodies both 190mm and 200mm, like the Saleen Mustang for example. Why not Vintage? Maybe because nobody asked.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-front.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-rear.jpg  
Old 03-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think part of the problem is the TA-05. I think it may be even more narrow than 190mm. Magnifying your problem.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by stevecor
Have a look at the attached pictures. This is my HPI Camaro body on my Tamiya TA04 chassis. The wheel arches extend past the wheel by 6mm in the front and 8mm in the rear. With my TA05, its 6mm front, 7mm rear. That looks too big to my eye. About 5mm too big.

I didn't think this would be a big puzzle. VTA is electric cars. Electric cars are 190mm. I want a 190mm body for my electric car. The HPI vintage bodies are 200mm. That's too big. I don't want to buy a new chassis or mess up my geometry trying to close the gap. I want the body to fit the car. Do you buy shoes that are too big and then put on ten pairs of socks?

HPI makes lots of bodies both 190mm and 200mm, like the Saleen Mustang for example. Why not Vintage? Maybe because nobody asked.
Just pick up some wheels with the proper offset and you are good to go.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Sorry stevcor, just thought it might be something about the offsets you didn't quite understand. BTW, most Tamiya electric chassis are 185mm. And yes, you can find offset hubs to correct the problem. Look on ebay.
I think we can assume that most of us are quite content with the bodies as they are and I'm sure you'll get yours figured out. Good Luck
Old 03-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Stevecor;
That little extra offset will actually work in your favor.

My son won the Chicagoland Asphault Assult series two years in a row, the 2009/2010 Hurracane series, and the 2010 VTA nats using a PARMA Barracuda.
Flat nose and back bumper, LOTS of tire to wheel opening as well.

What we found with the extra wheel clearance was that in side to side rubbing we didn't get the "tire to tire" rub and snag. This meant that he could do a pass that normlly would have snaged the tires using another body. The flat front and rear bumpers helped whith side bumper contact or uffset contact from the back or front. WE also added fifth body post just in front of the windshield to prevent the front of the body from flexing and cracking on a front impack. We tested a quite a few different bodies and this one worked the best!!! The camaro was the worst!!!!! The Pegeasess Mustang was the second best, but the body is thin. The PAMA Body is just a BRICK plus we also had a drivers figure in it. We would get some very strnge looks when seeing the body, but after explaining why we were using it ann then them watching race and seeing what I was talking about, they got the picture.

SOOO don't let the extra offset deture you from trying it in a race and see how it will actually helps.

Bob Oaks
Old 03-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stevecor

it looks fine...just pick up a set of the tamiya spacers (the red, silver, blue washer looking things) and you'll be in business...you don't want the wheel out to the very edge of body as you'll then be rubbing against the body

a 190mm body WILL NOT WORK WITH THE HPI VINTAGE WHEELS SINCE THEY ARE DESIGNED TO GO WITH A 200mm body...

take a look at everyone else at your track..you'll see everyone is all in the same boat...
Old 03-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I am feeling that black Camaro. Go have a look at Testors Custom Laquer System Grabber Orange. You can use the Testors CLS paints but dont use The Testors Enamel. Anyway look at the Grabber orange and I think there are at least two other oranges that you might like.

Edit: Link http://www.testors.com/category/1369..._Lacquer_Paint
The 69 Camaro orange was code #72 Hugger orange
Old 03-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

NEW Paint going to USVTA Nationals

69 Camaro

70 Camaro

Old 03-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Tech Champion

looks good hopefully the J71 will be in for the nationals, then I can add one of them to my collection
Old 03-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If Petty ran Trans Am

Old 03-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Anybody out there painting up a J71 for the Nats ??
Old 03-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

If i can get my hands on one in the next week or so, I will have one on my JRXS-R.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by squarehead
If i can get my hands on one in the next week or so, I will have one on my JRXS-R.
ditto here...however, i just heard that delivery dates to distributors might be pushed back to the 21st - so that might definitely limit the numbers at the Nationals...

i think i'm going to try an order one directly from Protoform and see I have some better luck that way

Hey Dale - any ideas why they are being so delayed?!?!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeboy
[SIZE="5"]If Petty ran Trans Am
Little known fact...Petty DID race in the Trans Am at least once (I'm thinking a couple times) in '66 or '67. He DID run a Baracuda but it was the original body style from a couple "generations" earlier. It was not in a STP livery.

That said...EXCELLENT WORK!!! This is what we "sticklers" are talking about when we say "period authentic".

Scottrik

Last edited by Scottrik; 03-15-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: correcting typing difficulty...darn tiny phone keyboards
Old 03-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Little known fact...Petty DID race in thamTrans Am at least once (I'm thinking a couple times) in '66 or '67. He DID run a Baracuda but it was the original body style from a couple "generations" earlier. It was not in a STP livery.Scottrik
I was thinking it was with one of the cars that they went drag racing with at about the same time. Would have been a 65/66 Cuda ...... may have to do some research in the Man Room!!!

Last edited by Grenade10; 03-15-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.