What brand Paint?????

Old 07-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default What brand Paint?????

Alright most of my R/C time ive used rattle cans all one color of the Pactra persuasion. But last time i used it the paint was flaking off during my race. Now ive got an airbrush kit and want to try and do more artistic things my q's are what brand should i use (Pactra has left a bad taste in my mouth), how do you thin the paint.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motojon
(Pactra has left a bad taste in my mouth).
Then your obviously spraying it in the wrong place.

anyhow, pactra flakes off if the body isn't cleaned properly, and it's not thinned enough. I do about 50% paint, 50% lacquer thinner. I also use spazstix paint for some cool candy colors, that stuff doesn't need to be thinned.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motojon
Alright most of my R/C time ive used rattle cans all one color of the Pactra persuasion. But last time i used it the paint was flaking off during my race. Now ive got an airbrush kit and want to try and do more artistic things my q's are what brand should i use (Pactra has left a bad taste in my mouth), how do you thin the paint.
You can try scuffing the body with a Scotch Brite pad. It will ruff up the surface to promote better adhesion. Also try multiple very light coats. Faskolor is by far the best to spray inside. It doesn't stink and is formulated to stick very well to Lexan. Createx is similar but is formulated to stick to multiple surfaces. Actually just an FYI Createx does not make Faskolor. Createx does help with the R and D for Faskolor though. I don't know if it is just me but I do not thin my paints. I never had a problem shooting the paints at 35 PSI through my HP-CR.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

yah ive always used an SOS pad to clean and scuff up the body. but thos will be the first time using airbrush paint and im just trying to make the trial and error a little bit more managable
Old 07-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Parma paint seems to be the most popular due to the lesser smell of WB paints. Pactra & other lacquer paints will yield a smoother pattern and are easier to use for most. The key to making any kind of paint work well is proper reduction coupled light even coats.

I use an AB with a .38mm needle have have found the following mixes to work well as a starting point.

Pactra solids: 50% paint, 50% reducer @ 15psi for detail, 20psi for coverage
Pactra candys & pearls: 70% paint 30% reducer @ 15psi

Kustom Kolors: 70% paint 30% reducer @ 10-15psi. base coats & 20psi.

Faskolor I think with a 50/50 mix of water & alchol with 1 drop glycern per 2oz.

Solids for coverage 75/25 paint to reducer @ 25-30psi.
Solids for detail 50/50 @ 20psi. Use semi-transparent paints for better transitions whenever possible.
flourescents 60/40 @ 15psi for detail or 75/25 @ 25psi for coverage
candys, pearls, fascents, & faslucents 75/25 @ 15psi for detail or 25psi for coverage.

Mark