Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap paint material? Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 09:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Cheap paint material? Suggestions

My LHS sells a small can of paint for like $7. I mean enough to paint one car if a thin coat is applied.

Where else can i go for alternative products that will give me same result? What do i look for? and it's gotta be Cheap.

Can I goto Local Paint shops like Frazee, Home Depot, or even Wally World (Walmart) or my local Automotive place, will any of those places carry similar products? What do i look for?

Any help/suggestions always appreciated.

Thank You
-Mo
Old 06-24-2003, 05:52 AM
Tech Adept

Cheaper paints. I have experimented some with fabric/textile paints that can be found at Hobby Lobby/Michaels/Garden Ridge for around $.99 a bottle. These paints need some help to get them to stick and hold onto lexan. They can be mixed with a small amount of ModPodge (a thick creamy white glue used for all kinds of crafts from Paper Mache to Applique). These paints are acrylic and need more pressure than lacquers to shoot through an airbrush. One drawback to textile paints is there are few pearlescents and metallics. There are at least 10 shades of every color plus probably a hundred organic colors as well. There are some metal colors but they do not shine like Pactra or Faskolor metallics do.

I can suggest this, but I have not done enough testing for me to switch to this paint instead of Faskolor as of now. I would recommend test painting on liter bottles or other polycarb surfaces.