Search
Like Tree1Likes

Airbrush Basics Video @ CFX!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Very nice Charlie, thanks for taking the time to put all that together
By the way, how long have you been painting? Seems like it all comes so natural to you. And do you really freehand those pinstripes?? If so, nice job, wish I had such talent.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scott S
Very nice Charlie, thanks for taking the time to put all that together
By the way, how long have you been painting? Seems like it all comes so natural to you. And do you really freehand those pinstripes?? If so, nice job, wish I had such talent.
Been painting since 1996, but always been artistic since i could walk. I graduated with a Bachelors in Science for Media Arts and Animation so i further honed my talents.

As far as pinstripes, you can see i used an Xacto knife to make the cuts
Old 01-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Any idea on whats the next segment is going to cover?
Old 01-17-2008, 03:54 AM
Tech Addict

Superb work Charlie, you make it all look so easy, and we all know that it isn't !!

The vids are just what all r/c painters have been waiting for, thankx from all of us !!
Old 01-17-2008, 04:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Nice tutorial. I'd pay for the dvd version
Old 01-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

nice vid!!

n00b question here.. but is your PSI set to the same pressue throughout the body, or is it lowered for certain sections....
Old 01-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Since there were no detail stuff, all PSi was at 40.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlie_b
Since there were no detail stuff, all PSi was at 40.
Thanks for your time..

You made that look way too easy.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by FlyByWire
Thanks for your time..

You made that look way too easy.
LOL...remember..even YOOOUUUUUUUU, can do a paintjob like that!
Old 01-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Im totally new to painting, dont have a clue where to start.

Im kinda interested in trying this out. What airbrush do you recommend that is cheap and can be used for r/c painting. Also, what compressor do you recommend to suit that brush.

I dont really know the whole deal with paints either. I know some need thinning and some don't (i think). What paint do you feel would be the easiest to work with for a beginner?

Thanks for your help
Old 01-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, but i will answer you regardless, but will ask questions to suit you as well.

1.Do you live by a local hobbyshop?
2.Do you live by a local Airbrush shop?
3.Do you only shop online?
4.How often do you plan on painting?

Answers:
1. If you do, most local hobbyshops carry paasche or badger airbrushes whicha re fine for starting out. If you are lucky enough to have a cool hobbyshop, buy an Iwata Revolution.
2. If you do, again, buy an Iwata Revolution. Best bang for the buck. If not, see #1 or #3.
3. If you do, i recommending buying at www.coastairbrush.com.
4. Like anything, airbrushing is an investment. If you do not plan on going into this long term, then don't spend too much. If you do plan on staying a while and seeing how good you can be, i recommend buying an Iwata Eclipse.

Thinning is not needed if you stick to KISS(Keep It Simple, Sir). You can buy Acrylic paints like Faskolor or Createx and 85% of the time you do not need to thin them down.

Now, here is an Article written by the great MAXX from CFX paintworks.
Whether this is your very first shell, or your third, there are a few basic supplies you'll need to get started and finish up your new paint job.
The very first thing you'll need is a pad of paper and a pencil, because you need to sit down and think, and make a list of the things you'll need before you start. You don't want to get half way through a paint job and have to stop to take a trip to the store. Besides, that pad and pencil will come in handy to doodle your new design on later.
Now that you have the first two items needed, grab your pencil and paper and jot this down. You'll need a fresh new shell. (Duh!) Yeah, don't think your the first to hit the garage with your bag of goodies only to stand there scratching your head wondering where you put that body. Oh yeah, you forgot to buy one! Doh!! That's what the list is for folks! Razz Don't forget the soap and water to wash the body out. Yes I've had to postpone painting just because I was out of soap! Next, you'll need some paint. Tamiya, Pactra and Spaz Stix all offer great colors in spray cans for polycarbonate shells. If your using an airbrush, Parma is an addition to the great colors you can use for your new paint job. Any of these paints can be found at most all Local Hobby Shops (LHS). Since your just starting out, you'll want to limit your color choices from one to three depending on how confident you feel. Next, you'll need some sort of masking material. 3M Scotch brand masking tape works great. The Tan color will work, but if you can find the Blue painters tape, it leaves little to no residue when peeled up. Next you need a hobby knife (and blades) if your design calls for any sort of cutting. You might also want to pick up a self healing cutting mat, but not a necessity. You can find these at any craft store or in the craft section at your local Walmart. You might want a Sharpie marker if you want to draw your design on the outside of the body. You'll also need a body reamer and some Lexan scissors to get that shell mounted. And don't forget a respirator or dust mask, preferrably a good quality respirator and paint in a well ventilated area like outside.

Your list should look like this;
Paper
Pencil
Shell
Paint
Masking Tape
Hobby Knife
Sharpie
Body Reamer
Lexan Scissors
Respirator

With this list you should be prepared for a new paint job.

Now, that you are commited to learning more, may i suggest going to http://www.cfxpaintworks.com/modules...viewforum&f=37

This is a section JUST for beginners at CFX PAINTWORKS. You may browse there at your heart's content and learn a few things or a few hundred...depends on how eager you are. Happy Painting!
Old 01-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

in looking for a compressor, is there a certain psi i should be looking for?
Old 01-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Most stantard oiless compressors you get at kragen or harbor frieght can goto about 90 psi. I really do not recommend diaphram compressors unless its an iwata. i bought a 3 gallon pancake compressor from Harbor frieght for $59. You want something that can go to at least 60 Psi.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

Any new vids coming Charlie? The ones you have posted are awesome, I was hoping there would be more!
Old 02-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi Charlie,

I'm trying to get into airbrushing and I already have an air compressor 125 psi. What else would I need and do you recommend the Aztek airbrushes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.