Best time to remove mask?

Old 11-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Best time to remove mask?

Ive only done 3 bodys so far so im still trying to figure out whats the best time to remove the mask. Liquid mask and or vinyl? Should I do it before the paint fully cures or wait until its dried a few hours? I do use a hairdryer to speed up my sub coats and I usually spray 3 coats at least before moving on to a diff color.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My answer pertains to the use of lacquer based paints. I paint my colors, quickly clean my airbrush and prepare for the next color, then I pull off the mask for the next color. anywhere from 5-10 minutes is all I wait. Neon colors are a different story, they like to pull up with my mask if I don't wait long enough. so I trace my cut lines lightly with an exacto knife to prevent this instead of waiting a couple hours for it to dry!
Old 11-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

Always spray your colors in thin coats allowing each layer to "flash" over before applying another. 5-10 minutes is ample time, faster if force dried with a hair dryer. Times differ depending on colors and type of paint being used. Lacquers and Euros dry faster.
Once the paint has ample time to flash over, masks can be pulled up or it can even be masked over without problems.

Laying down thick coats (heavy wet coat) will always cause problems. It's like baking biscuits in an oven thats too hot. The outside will be crispy and the inside will still be raw dough.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Cool. Ill have to try it some more I guess.