Community
Wiki Posts
Search

protoform alfa 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 07:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

No, not yet. Soon though You couldn't make it today to Poway I guess. Mark and I had some good racing in the 19 turn class practicing for Hitec. It was so hot out there. Track temps were over 145F. But think I've got a strapped setup for Hitec.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I got stuck at work once again, sucks! I'm gonna have to practice for Hitec at SoCal on Tuesdays, then get my setup the night before and go to a hotter weather tire on the day of.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:25 AM

how does the the protoform alfa 2.0 compare to the losi alfa?

in handeling

Last edited by Calvin Ng; 07-18-2003 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

I just got my Alfa Romeo 2.0 in the mail and have gotten it all prepped for painting. I need to set up the air brush now. But I was wondering how adjusting the rear wing forward or backward made a difference. Will one of the positions be more aero dynamic than another so it will have more top end and less down force or somethng like that? Thanks for any input.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default ALFA 2.1

Well, the Protoform web site has the Alfa 2.1 (200mm) body listed in their line-up now!!

Just wondering now when it will hit the streets!?!?

Alfa Romeo 2.1 200mm Part #1461-00
Old 07-23-2003, 03:48 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by racerdx6
I just got my Alfa Romeo 2.0 in the mail and have gotten it all prepped for painting. I need to set up the air brush now. But I was wondering how adjusting the rear wing forward or backward made a difference. Will one of the positions be more aero dynamic than another so it will have more top end and less down force or somethng like that? Thanks for any input.
Any wing works best positioned in clean (not turbulent) air, it's one reason why F1 cars have the wing suspended below the nose. With a saloon car's rear wing you have to cope with the flow being distrubed over the roof section. To position the wing in the most efficient position you want it to be as far back and as high as possible, removing it as far as possible from the effects of the roof section. That is the reasoning behind the really high wing supports on the Protoform DTM Astra. Normally (At least under BRCA rules) the hight and rear overhang of the wing is restricted; it must be no higher than the top of the roof and overhang no more than 10mm over the bootlid.

The tuning vanes on both the Losi and Protoform Alfas should help to increase rear downforce and lessen drag slightly at high speeds. The faster the speed the more turbluent the air coming off the roof section. What the vanes do is to lessen the amount of sideways movement across the wing. The air is smoothed out and channelled in the fastest possible path across the wing. This helps to increase the Bernoulli effect across the wing's profile and lessen the flow separation over the rear of the shell.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the easiest way to tell the to apart is to look at the front end, the lois's lower front vents are broke up into sections and the protoform is a large single vent. , also the losi is way more radical in the back half of the car , the 2.0 is more conservitive.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by university_dave
Any wing works best positioned in clean (not turbulent) air, it's one reason why F1 cars have the wing suspended below the nose. With a saloon car's rear wing you have to cope with the flow being distrubed over the roof section. To position the wing in the most efficient position you want it to be as far back and as high as possible, removing it as far as possible from the effects of the roof section. That is the reasoning behind the really high wing supports on the Protoform DTM Astra. Normally (At least under BRCA rules) the hight and rear overhang of the wing is restricted; it must be no higher than the top of the roof and overhang no more than 10mm over the bootlid.

The tuning vanes on both the Losi and Protoform Alfas should help to increase rear downforce and lessen drag slightly at high speeds. The faster the speed the more turbluent the air coming off the roof section. What the vanes do is to lessen the amount of sideways movement across the wing. The air is smoothed out and channelled in the fastest possible path across the wing. This helps to increase the Bernoulli effect across the wing's profile and lessen the flow separation over the rear of the shell.
So basically what you're saying is to run the wing in the farthest back position? I'm a little confused here, mabey it's just because I'm tired right now so I can't make sense of it .
Old 07-23-2003, 02:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by racerdx6
So basically what you're saying is to run the wing in the farthest back position? I'm a little confused here, mabey it's just because I'm tired right now so I can't make sense of it .
For maximum downforce that's about right. However, you might find that the shell has a better aerodynamic balance with the wing farther forwards (thus generating less downforce).
Old 08-02-2003, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Cool

My new 2.1 Alfa..................
Attached Thumbnails protoform alfa 2.0-picture-189.jpg  
Old 08-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Wow! My Alfa 2.0 is the best handling body ever. I love it, although I don't really like how the front end looks, but its not too bad. This thing is great, and it holds up great. The last two bodies I had were both HPI's, and HPI bodies suck. They look sweet, but they're thicker, so they crack more, and they also have such defined detail lines that they crack on the lines. My alfa 2.0 doesn't have any damage on it, and that doesn't mean that I didn't hit anything, one time on the first night I used the body I got wedged up on the pipes and shot out of the track into the driver's stand, but no damage there either . So basically what I'm trying to say is that this is the best body Protoform has ever made .
Old 08-05-2003, 10:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Punisher- What colors did you use to paint your alfa 2.1? I really like that paint job.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Thanks!!

The color is pewter and flo. red with white.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thumbs up

Alex Lopez (XRay factory team driver) was running an Alfa body at the FSEARA race this weekend at MDI.