Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iwata revolution needle help....

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Iwata revolution needle help....

I wanted to do finer details on my airbrush but the line is too thick. Do I replace the needle or any other parts? If yes where cam I buy them thanks>>>
Old 06-21-2007, 05:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

What kind of paint are you using and how are you thinning it?
Old 06-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by KoBe24
I wanted to do finer details on my airbrush but the line is too thick. Do I replace the needle or any other parts? If yes where cam I buy them thanks>>>
what equipments are u using? what size needle? what paint? what viscosity? what psi? how fine do u want the line to be? i have an iwata revolution model and the needle is .03mm and it can achieve hairlines easily.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

Since the revolution only has one needle that's not your problem. try turning the air pressure down, and get as close as you can without it smearing. You should get about 1/8 in. or a bit smaller line with most faskolor. Hope that helps!
Old 06-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by KoBe24
A little more detail on your part would make it easier to help you.
First of all let's break down what you asked. You want to do finer detail. How fine is finer? What's your definition of fine? You want to free hand streaks, or paint a skull on a flea's rear end?
You say the line is too thick. How thick is too thick? What's your definition of too thick? Wider then a pencil line or covers a door panel in one pass?
Which parts do you replace and where to get them? The parts to replace would be the needle, nozzle and nozzle cap, but that depends on what model of Revolution you have. You can get these parts at www.coastairbrush.com or www.dixieart.com
Other helpful details would be, which model of Revolution do you have? They come in .3mm and .5mm needle size and gravity and siphon feed styles. The AR and BR model are both gravity feed and .3mm size. This is as small of needle size you can get in the Revolution. The CR is also a gravity feed, but is .5mm size. You can get the .3mm conversion for this if this is the brush you have. The BCR and SAR are also .5mm, but siphon feed. With a siphon feed brush you need a higher PSI and and it doesn't quite atomize paint as well as a gravity feed, which is needed for detail. The TR series comes in both .3mm and .5mm size.
Also knowing what type of paint your spraying and kind of compressor your using along with at what psi your spraying at would be helpful.

I use a CR and with reduced Faskolor at 10 psi I can easily spray a pencil line, which exceeds most needs in RC paint work.
The HP CR is a great starter and work horse for RC work as it comes with a .5mm needle which works great for shooting thicker paints like water based Faskolor and can be converted to a .3mm size for finer detail work. You can also get a pre-set handle for it which also comes in handy for detail work.

I hope this information is helpful.
Maxx
Old 06-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

maxx, how do you do the 3mm conversion on the hp cr.. I have one..and am curious, one other question, what does it mean when you spray and you get that dust like spider web that comes out, is it wrong thinning, and or air presure issue? Thanx
Old 06-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

You'll need to order a needle (#15), nozzle (#3) and nozzle cap (#2) for the HP AR or BR, which are .3mm and will fit the CR just the same.
I'll be posting a tutorial on how to hop up a CR next week.

You didn't state which paint your spraying, but the spider webbing is most common with Pactra lacquers. This can be caused from many different issues depending on paint type, air pressure, type of airbrush, compressor and weather, but with Pactra paint it is usually a matter of reducing the paint with the proper reducer ( a good quality solvent) and air pressure. I would start with reducing the paint with either Pactra reducer or automotive solvent, MEK or even Acetone will work.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

My bad, yeah im useing pactra laquers, and its only the black i have issues with when im trying to shadow.. the other colors seem fine..I usually spray at around probably 22-25 lbs, and try a 50/50 mix with thinner..
Old 07-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Tech Master

Maxxthrasher,

You say to use a good quality solvent. I have used mostly the pactra laquer thinner. I have also receintly bought a quart of laquer thinner at Home Depot. The 2 thinners smell very different. I haven't used the quart yet because I'm not sure it will work as well. Will they both work, or is the pactra thinner better.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

If it's just plain lacquer thinner, the Pactra will be better. As I stated, good quality meaning automotive grade. You'll have to pick some up at a local auto paint dealer, or the MEK or Acetone will sufice. You should be fine with the Pactra thinner. If you still have probs, I'd try the others.

The two smell different, and are different. No two solvents are the same. Just because it says Lacquer Thinner, doesn't mean it will work the best with all lacquer paints. Pactra thinner is specially formulated to work with Pactra lacquers.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Tech Adept

Here's that how-to conversion I promised.

http://http://www.cfxpaintworks.com/...ewtopic&t=1440
Old 07-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Maxxthrasher

The link doesn't work, can you re post?

Thanks
Old 07-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Tech Adept

Try again,
http://www.cfxpaintworks.com/modules...ewtopic&t=1440

If it still doesn't work you can find it on the site by going to "Shooterz" then "Iwata" then "HP-CR hop up".