Paints Question

Old 04-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Paints Question

Hello, I am about to order soem paints, and liquid mask for my first body, I just have 1 question.

If I go with faskcolor water based paints, do I need to thin them out with water? and if I don't, how long does each bottle last for? like 1/2 a body 1 body 5 bodies?

I remember the spray cans only lasted about a body and 1/4 but that can was packed with propellant, I'm using an airbrush so it should last longer right?

Also the liquid mask I am buying the 16oz bottle since you need like 3 coats of liquid mask, but you can thin that out with water, how long does a bottle of liquid mask last? with 3 coats to a body what is the mixture ratio for liquid mask? like 2 parts mask 1 part water? or such.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rcrevolution

If I go with faskcolor water based paints, do I need to thin them out with water? and if I don't, how long does each bottle last for? like 1/2 a body 1 body 5 bodies?

Also the liquid mask I am buying the 16oz bottle since you need like 3 coats of liquid mask, but you can thin that out with water, how long does a bottle of liquid mask last? with 3 coats to a body what is the mixture ratio for liquid mask? like 2 parts mask 1 part water? or such.
Liar, that's more than one question!!!

NEVER thin fascolor with water. Thin with Windex (or rubbing alcohol, or both). The amount you should thin varies between paints: pearls need the most, fluorescents need the least (if any). As I've never painted a body one color only, I don't know how many bodies a single bottle can cover. I would guess around 5 at least, depending on color. A fluorescent yellow wouldn't last as long as black.

As for LM, unless you're spraying it, you don't need to thin it. A 16 oz bottle should cover (in my estimation) 7-9 tc bodies, depending on thickness of coats. If you use multiple methods of masking (tape for expansive areas) you can stretch that to a whole lot more.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

ok

so I most likely have to thin faskcolor anyways?

I am getting mostly the regular colors and then pearl blue, all the other colors are base colors no flourescents or anything.

and windex works fine? not gonna distort the color or anything?

can LM be thinned with water? or should I use windex as well?

and VERY last question, when thining paints how much should I mix? I know this will come naturally to me with experience, but for my first body should I mix very little windex with the paint?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rcrevolution
ok

so I most likely have to thin faskcolor anyways?

I am getting mostly the regular colors and then pearl blue, all the other colors are base colors no flourescents or anything.

and windex works fine? not gonna distort the color or anything?

can LM be thinned with water? or should I use windex as well?

and VERY last question, when thining paints how much should I mix? I know this will come naturally to me with experience, but for my first body should I mix very little windex with the paint?

You don't NEED to thin fascolor unless you're not satisfied with the spray from the airbrush. if you're trying to advanced fades, you need thinner paint. If you're just painting a single color block, it's pretty good the way it is.

As for thickness, I generally don't thin fluorescents and with other colors aim for that consistency. Like I said, the amount varies, but for a thick pearl it's probably 30% windex/rubbing alcohol to 70% paint.

Windex should have minimal effect on the paint tone. I wouldn't use it in a yellow (but I've never needed to thin yellow or fluorescent yellow). People who have thinned white with it have said that the white appear brighter. In my opinion, I would guess that this is because the white IS IN FACT very very faintly blue which will make it appear as a cooler (as opposed to warmer) shade and will pop more in bright lighting.

Thin liquid mask with water. However, I repeat, unless you are spraying the liquid mask there is not really any reason to thin it as you need probably 3 thick coats unthinned (at least, that's what I use) and if you thin it, you'll need more coats, which takes longer to dry.