Wiki Posts
Search

Making decals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 01:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Making decals?

Does anyone know of some sticky clear paper that you can print on to make your own decals?
Old 03-12-2003, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Steve-

You can buy clear vinyl sticker sheets at an office depot as well as white vinyl that you can use with a laserjet printer...not sure if you can get one for injets yet. remember,printers do not print white..you'd have to put the stickers on a brightly colored part of your paintjob.

charlie b
Old 03-12-2003, 08:59 AM
FWR
Tech Addict

The ALPS MD-1000 has a white printer cartridge. You would have to really want to print white to go that route because, even though I have never used or seen one, I read that they are expensive and rather slow. They also have some metalic ink cartredges.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:31 AM
Tech Regular

The material you want is Avery 8665,which goes for about $25 a package of 25 sheets. It`s pretty flexible and can be used on the outside of a body but lately I`ve been printing in reverse and placing the decal on the inside of the body. To get the bright colors or to have white in your decal you`ll have to either place it on a white background or back it with a white paint before applying it. Inside or outside I first give it a coat of clear enamel to keep it from cracking the material.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Default Making decals?

Guys;

Is the Avery #8665 re-positionable Vinyl?

I'm looking for something more permanent to make Window stickers for my Full size Car that won't fall off when the windows fog up in the cool weather. The precut Vinyl letters look cheesy.

Thanks,
Old 03-13-2003, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

I dont think so Pops.

I think it is the same one that most companies use for printing the sticker sets for R/C Cars.

Charlie_b - It does work with inkjet printers but it requires a really small pixel size and you will need lots of memory or the computer will just freeze every time you try to print. I tried doing some a while back on my old computer (128Meg memory) and it kept freezing but I then upgraded to 1Gig memory and it had no problems.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

Is it repositionable? Not really ,especially if it`s rubbed down. It`s not what the big guys use as it`s not as flexible and their decals are silk screened anyway. When it comes to printing It`s playing with the design I`m trying to print rather than the actual printing process that can cause me trouble with my computer. The printer doesn`t care if it`s decal or paper it`s printing on once you get it that far. Just use the photo quality setting for the best color quality.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Default Making decals?

The sheets that I have now are made by 'Invent it!' and are Clear, Static Cling type with no adhesive.
I'll look for the Avery sheets. I can cut the letters out and use a straight edge to position them.

Thanks,