Like Tree453Likes

Your Custom Paintjobs

Old 11-19-2001, 05:35 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by charlie_b
i actually use 2 kinds of airbrushes. for regular spray patterns,(fades and streaks), i use my Iwata Eclipse bottom feed. for Finer detail, i use my Tamiya Superfine..yes, for you guys who don't know, Tamiya does sell Quality Airbrushes and i love them!! the Iwata i got for $70 and the Tamiya i got for $120. In airbrushes, you really do get hat you pay for.

As for the badger, it shold work fine for what you want to do. make sure, for fine detail, lower the PSI and thin your paint more. It is better to work with layers than to cake the paint on all at once. when doing drop shadows and other fine detail stuff, go over teh graphic at least 5 times...it may not lok like it will show the first two passes but building your effect subtly results in a cleaner and more realistic effect.

Normal thinning is 1 to 1(one part paint, one part thinner)
for shadows and fine detail, go 1 to 1 1/2

Hope this helps..and email me anytime.

charlie b
1:1 paint to thinner ratio? isnt that kinda toooo high? im justing faskolor and tamiya airbrush to spray my bodies. i thin the paint with 5-8 drops pf water and the results came out really good...

Last edited by disaster999; 11-19-2001 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

oh ok...i was talking about regular paints that require thinner. (House of Kolor Urathanes,Pactra) For faskolor, YOU DO NOT thin the paints at all. It is made to be shot straight from the bottle. It is the same paint as CREATEX and can be used with out thinning. Thinning the paint with water only dulls the paint's color and lessens the sticky agents of the paint. Createx does, however make a REDUCER if you do want to thin your paint down if you are using lower PSI. This reducer is the same material as the paints with out the color. The Tamiya brush you have is equivalent if not better than the Iwata Eclipse..i am not sure of the needle size, but i believe it is about 2mm.

for best results i have found, using Faskolor or Createx, i shoot these paints with 40PSI
Hope this clears things.

charlie b
Old 11-20-2001, 05:32 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by charlie_b
oh ok...i was talking about regular paints that require thinner. (House of Kolor Urathanes,Pactra) For faskolor, YOU DO NOT thin the paints at all. It is made to be shot straight from the bottle. It is the same paint as CREATEX and can be used with out thinning. Thinning the paint with water only dulls the paint's color and lessens the sticky agents of the paint. Createx does, however make a REDUCER if you do want to thin your paint down if you are using lower PSI. This reducer is the same material as the paints with out the color. The Tamiya brush you have is equivalent if not better than the Iwata Eclipse..i am not sure of the needle size, but i believe it is about 2mm.

for best results i have found, using Faskolor or Createx, i shoot these paints with 40PSI
Hope this clears things.

charlie b
thats for clearing things up! i didnt know that faskcolor doesnt need thinning because it looks really thick from the bottle and i dun think that it would come out nice and smooth on the body, ill try your advice

whats 40psi? i assume its those compression thing...but i dont have one...i use the tamiya spray kit that includes a compresser.
Old 11-20-2001, 12:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The 40psi is probably the air pressure in the lines. Most air compressors have a regulator, that allows adjustment of the line pressure.
Old 11-20-2001, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Jeff is correct. 40PSI means the air pressure used to shoot air through your brush in which the compressor provides. most hobby compressors do not allow adjustable air pressure, so basically, you just have to use what you got. The average Psi for these compressors are between 30-35 Psi.

charlie b
Old 11-20-2001, 02:02 PM
Ty
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

PSI = pounds per square inch. Indicates air (or any other gas) pressure applied evenly across any surface. Real car tires are filled between 30 and 40 psi.
Old 11-22-2001, 04:42 AM
Tech Regular

Default what is agood air compressor to get??????

what kind of air compressor do you all use , i am just getting started.in airbrushing, and is the aztek airbrush any count or should i stay with something like iwata, or tamiya .thnks for the help...
Old 11-22-2001, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

I've been using a comp. I got at Walmart. It cost about a $100 and has a built in reg. it also has a 2 gallon tank that works great. I use a cheap badger, I think the model is a 350. I don't do much airbrushing, just for myself and a friend. I use the comp. more for blowing off the car after a race. But it seems to work well
Old 11-22-2001, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

carpet_killa,

It sounds like GT4-R Terror is describing the Campbell Hausfeld Quiet Air compressor. They're available at Wal-Marts for around $100, and come with a tank gauge and regulator. Great little compressor, I've got the same one here.

They're not really the most quiet compressors around, but for $100 they're hard to beat in terms of features. IF you were to buy a compressor at the hobby shop, you'd get a little diaphragm job that puts out -maybe- 30 psi, and is not adjustable, and has no tank, and you'd pay more than $100 most likely.

For a truly silent high end airbrush compressor with a tank and regulator, you'd spend $400 or more at an art supply house.

Go for the Quiet Air at Wal-Mart, it's all the compressor you'll need for a long time.

Trips
Old 11-22-2001, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

trips, yes that's the one. Works great..
Old 11-22-2001, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

i personallu use a Silent Air 50, but i think for the money, get an empty firextinguisher bottle, put an adjustable regulator on it and fill it up. compressed air works great! no condesation due to no heat produced by the compressor, it's portable and you don't have to plug into anything. my airbrush shop sells a pre made one for $225..but im sure you can get away by making your own for like $70.

charlie b
Old 11-22-2001, 02:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

I just finished a new body with Chrome Flames. Flourescent yellow in the back with red around the flames, and then chrome flames on the nose and up the sides. I will have pictures taken this weekend, and post some for you. I used masks off of rcxotic.com. Cya.
Old 11-22-2001, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Sweet!! can't wait to see it!
Old 11-23-2001, 08:58 PM
Tech Regular

Default My first paint job....

Okay.... my first attempt with 3 cans.....Black, Silver, Tint....
Tamiya Alfa 155 shell on the RC Lab 7even Evo1...
Attached Thumbnails Your Custom Paintjobs-7even0.jpg  
hicks451 likes this.
Old 11-23-2001, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Very clean look... I wish I could say my first bodies turned out that well...

Trips

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.