Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
How do I paint my wheels without flaking?? >

How do I paint my wheels without flaking??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do I paint my wheels without flaking??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 03:29 AM
Tech Adept

Default How do I paint my wheels without flaking??

I want to paint my wheels the same colour as the body, I have rattle can paint but in the past the colur tends to flake off, I cant dye them s they are foam tyres premounted, so what do you do??
Old 05-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRFTIM
I want to paint my wheels the same colour as the body, I have rattle can paint but in the past the colur tends to flake off, I cant dye them s they are foam tyres premounted, so what do you do??
What kind of paint are you using? It's not the same material, it stands to reason that lexan spray paint won't bond as well to nylon.

Of course, it's not exactly a product that's designed to be painted either, so it's unlikely you'll ever get a really good result. And, it's going to scratch the second you hit a pipe.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kcdzim
What kind of paint are you using? It's not the same material, it stands to reason that lexan spray paint won't bond as well to nylon.

Its normal Polycarbonate paint so its not going to bond aswell i know that but is there an alternative except for dyeing it.

Of course, it's not exactly a product that's designed to be painted either, so it's unlikely you'll ever get a really good result. And, it's going to scratch the second you hit a pipe.
I disagree that its not a product to be painted, i think they look rather cool when someone has colour coded there wheels to the body.

Thanks anyway for the reply.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

I disagree that its not a product to be painted, i think they look rather cool when someone has colour coded there wheels to the body.

Thanks anyway for the reply.
I didn't say they didn't look good color coded. I said the product wasn't designed to be painted. As in, the company did not specifically design the wheel to be painted, which means the wheel itself may not be made of the best suited material for paint to adhere to.

That doesn't mean you can do it, or shouldn't do it. It means that the company isn't investing cash into making a product to be painted. They're just making a wheel that's economical to produce, high enough quality to be purchased, with a short enough life span for planned obsolescence and return purchase. Whether the customer uses paint on their wheels probably makes no difference to them whatsoever (and if there are logos on the wheel, it probably makes even more sense to make sure paint doesn't stick at all).
Old 05-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Tech Adept

Oh Right

So can it be done??

and with what?

I understand your point but really just wanted an answer on what to use, thanks again.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Oh Right

So can it be done??

and with what?

I understand your point but really just wanted an answer on what to use, thanks again.
Probably a primer and then an enamel. And, if you want a gloss finish, you'll probably need to sand the primer, give it another coat, and sand again. Or buy some clear coat too.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I've dyed wheels with foams on them before not sure if it hurt anything, but I can't imagine it would as long as you don't have the heat too high.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:48 AM
PB
Tech Apprentice

Not sure which colour your looking for, but I would give the wheels a light scuffing with some emory cloth and then try painting them with Krylon paint (it's stuff specifically for painting plastics, get it at home depot or walmart.) I would then cover it with a good coating (maybe 4 or 5 light coats) of clear to help protect the finish.

It won't flake off, but will be prone to scratches if you hit things.

PB
Old 05-05-2006, 02:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Go to any autoparts store that deal in automotive touch up paint. Buy a can of Self Etching Primer, it has to be self etching or it will not work. Spray the wheels with that primer, sand it smooth, one more light coat, let it dry, then paint it whatever color you want. It won't flake or chip, and, depending on what you hit, it won't hardly scratch either because the self etching primer actually bonds itself to the nylon...
Old 05-05-2006, 03:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

possom813 is on the right track, but if you go to the auto parts store that carries painting matterials, look for a color that you like in the interior dye section. I once turned a "CRAP BROWN" interior of a Chevy S10 into a very nice "Ford GRAY" and they had other collors too. I seen yellow, red, blue, orange, and anything that you can imagine. It is in a spry can and before I painted the interior, I had to wipe it down with a TAC (some kind of cleaner that removed all grease and stuff.) I would imagine that if you wanted to do it this way, use some of those rings that come with Fast Tires to protect the sidewall of the foam from being painted. It might be a pain, but the result would be better, or you could do what I did for a body last year. Use some Dye like what you can get at the grocery store. I turned some tires purple to match a body.

Good luck.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:39 AM
Tech Addict

if you are using WHITE wheels , just DYE them, go to the store and buy some RID clothing dye and put it in a pot and bring the water to a boil, then cut off the stove and stir in the dye, drop in the wheel and remove when the color you are looking for is done, and it wont CHIP OFF. i do it all the time. try it
Old 05-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ICEMAN
if you are using WHITE wheels , just DYE them, go to the store and buy some RID clothing dye and put it in a pot and bring the water to a boil, then cut off the stove and stir in the dye, drop in the wheel and remove when the color you are looking for is done, and it wont CHIP OFF. i do it all the time. try it
Cheers Guys

So if I put the Foams in the boiling water it wont do something to them??

Pretty good advice there, I just fancy a change from boring white.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

the dye method is for wheels only. you will most likely end up eating the foam inside premounts, and possibly boil the foam off the rim when doing foam tires.

not to say that it wont work, but i would try it on an old set of tires first before you go tossing that kind of $$$ down the drain.

The other issue is, weigh the wheels when you are done and compare to 'normal' wheels. racers might be curious about that.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ICEMAN

im agreed,

this is the best method that i've been doing for the last 2 years...
i dye my 1/8th buggy wing and also rims.

cheers
Old 05-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mason
the dye method is for wheels only. you will most likely end up eating the foam inside premounts, and possibly boil the foam off the rim when doing foam tires.

not to say that it wont work, but i would try it on an old set of tires first before you go tossing that kind of $$$ down the drain.

The other issue is, weigh the wheels when you are done and compare to 'normal' wheels. racers might be curious about that.

I tried the dye method on an old set rustler wheels and tires...I didn't check the weight before and after, but I was going for a lime green, and ended up with a kind of camo od green and blue that was different shades, it looked pretty slick, but not what I wanted...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.