Wiki Posts
Search

Painting problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Painting problems

I'm using Pactra paints and am having a few problems. I've completed 2 bodies but the 2 I'm working on now are giving me problems. I've previously used Enamel paints without any problems but the Pactra paints having worked OK to start with are now not spraying. I've stripped the airbrush down twice and cleaned it, and tried thinning the paint more but this doen't seem to work. I'm thinning with normal paint thinner. SHould I only use Pactra thinner ?

Also, I've noticed that my compressor is depressurising as soon as I press down on the air, and goes down to about 12psi. Can anyone shed any light on my problems ?
Old 04-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Tech Addict

yes- use only the pactra thinnner.

pactra laquer paints are acrylic laquers, and will not thin properly with regular laquer thinner.

thin most of the pactra paints about 50/50 as a good starting ratio, with metallics/metal flakes requiring a bit more, and transparent candies a bit less.

Also, metal flake and metallics will jamb up an air brush real quick if the tip is too small.

hope this helps.. J.S.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:57 PM
Tech Addict

Make sure that you're using Lacquer thinner. Also, check all of your seals in your air delivery system. When I spray lacquer paints, I only use about 15 to 20psi tops so 12psi should still be spraying it OK.. If you're using the wrong thinner though, the paint could be clumping up or congealing in the bottle or the siphon tube.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the help guys. The guy in the hobby store said that ordinary thinners would work. I'll get off and buy a bucket of Pactra thinners.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

yes, make sure that everything is sealed off in your airbrush. If u still have problems, u may have a gash inside ur brush.