Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airbrush cleaning - Best method?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Airbrush cleaning - Best method?

I really enjoy painting, but I HATE cleaning the airbrush afterwards. I am sure my method is FAR from ideal, and has probably caused me more problems and frustration than anything else.

Here is what I do...
After painting, I fill the bottle with warm water, and basically spray an entire bottle of water through the brush adjusting the spray pattern back and forth through the whole bottle. Sometimes 2 bottles, until it is just spraying what looks like clean water.

How should I be doing it?

I was having all kinds of problems spraying the other night, very inconsistent paint coming from the brush, splatter, make minor adjustment, no paint, make minor adjustment, LOTS of paint, etc... So I took the airbrush apart and I could see that there was old paint (colors I haven't used in a long time) still in it in places. As of now, the inner parts of the airbrush are soaking in fingernail polish remover.

If I had an easy, correct way of cleaning the brush, I would try more stuff... As it is, I only use large areas of color on my bodies, because it isn't worth the trouble of cleaning the brush to just do a small area (thin stripe, etc) of a different color.

The airbrush is a Paasche single action if that matters...
Old 03-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rctoyguy
I really enjoy painting, but I HATE cleaning the airbrush afterwards. I am sure my method is FAR from ideal, and has probably caused me more problems and frustration than anything else.

Here is what I do...
After painting, I fill the bottle with warm water, and basically spray an entire bottle of water through the brush adjusting the spray pattern back and forth through the whole bottle. Sometimes 2 bottles, until it is just spraying what looks like clean water.

I was having all kinds of problems spraying the other night, very inconsistent paint coming from the brush, splatter, make minor adjustment, no paint, make minor adjustment, LOTS of paint, etc... So I took the airbrush apart and I could see that there was old paint (colors I haven't used in a long time) still in it in places. As of now, the inner parts of the airbrush are soaking in fingernail polish remover.

If I had an easy, correct way of cleaning the brush, I would try more stuff... As it is, I only use large areas of color on my bodies, because it isn't worth the trouble of cleaning the brush to just do a small area (thin stripe, etc) of a different color.

It's tedious, but really, there's no simple quick way to thoroughly clean the brush. I'm fairly lax and lazy about maintaining my brush. I generally flush it with water between colors, usually taking off the nozzle and blowing water through both the brush body and the nozzle head. If you only clean with water, however, the remnant paint will dry at some point and bind the brush up. About once a week, or whenever I'm starting a new body, I have to take the brush apart and clean the body, nozzle, head, and needle with lacquer thinner (strips dry acryllic very quickly) and q tips. You should do that daily after painting, but again, I'm a bit lazy and usually put that off until starting a new body.

Just spraying water will only dilute the paint, but there will always be paint left in there until you break the brush down and clean each piece individually.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rctoyguy

Here is what I do...

Man, I feel your pain. I have had the same problems you are talking about with my paasche VL too. If it weren't for cleaning, painting would be fun. I have learned that I wasn't thinning the paint enough (and using the wrong thinner at times) which were my biggest problems. Since I now have thinning figured out, the spray is much more consistant. The paasche works great for big areas but I really want to get a Iwata HP-C. A guy told me he got a used one on ebay for $60 but I haven't seen any even close to that. Kcdzim gave you good advice on cleaning, I can't really tell you any more than he did. But, they do sell things out there for quick cleaning but I haven't seen them in hobby shops yet. One I think is made by Testors and the other is Faskolor, I think. Well, Good luck.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

With faskolor, I flush the brush through under a tap, back blowing into the airbrush to blow paint back into the gravity cup to rinse out. Then I fill the gravity cup with some dishwashing detergent and warm water, spray that through, block the tip, blow back whats left. Then I splash in a little Airbrush cleaner designed for removing acrylic paint, spray, drop of water and it is done.

Sounds long but does'nt take more than 10 mins max...
Old 03-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JetMD
Man, I feel your pain. I have had the same problems you are talking about with my paasche VL too. If it weren't for cleaning, painting would be fun. I have learned that I wasn't thinning the paint enough (and using the wrong thinner at times) which were my biggest problems. Since I now have thinning figured out, the spray is much more consistant. The paasche works great for big areas but I really want to get a Iwata HP-C. A guy told me he got a used one on ebay for $60 but I haven't seen any even close to that. Kcdzim gave you good advice on cleaning, I can't really tell you any more than he did. But, they do sell things out there for quick cleaning but I haven't seen them in hobby shops yet. One I think is made by Testors and the other is Faskolor, I think. Well, Good luck.
I got mine used on ebay for 60, but I was looking out for one for months. Gotta snap it up if you see one.