Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Jato The Mudboss

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I got my custom wrapped Mudboss body. Unfortunately, it had shipping damage. He shipped the wrapped paints jammed together in a padded envelope. I hate that common sense is a dying skill. Of course the panels rubbed together and gouged the side panels. He also messed up the left side of the body. The #2 and the bull are skewed forward for some odd reason. He said he would fix the body if I mailed it back to him, but he couldn't guarantee that I'd have it back in two weeks for the next race. What kind of customer service is that? So I asked him to print the vinyl and send it to me and I'd install it myself. For now, here is the body assembled and installed. I think everything is ready and I will be racing next Sunday unless something changes.

I'm also having some issues with the truck. All of the wheels spin true except the left front. It's badly warped. The aluminum "upgraded" bellcrank also has lots of play. Traxxas is being difficult in standing good for it so we will see what happens.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

I was quite annoyed when I bought an "air cleaner" from Kipps and it turned out to be a juice bottle cap with some chrome wrap on the top. I was so annoyed, in fact, that I designed and printed my own. I'm biased, but I think mine looks much better.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:31 AM
Tech Elite

I finally had a chance to race my Mudboss this weekend. I started with something close to the Mudboss suggested setup for a loose track. I'm not a fan of that setup at all. In practice I could not get my car to turn unless I slowed down a lot for the turn and I was off the throttle or at least only using partial throttle. Because of this I started getting hard on the brakes into the turn to get the rear end to slide out. I spun out a lot learning this. After some tweaks the car seemed better, but I still wasn't happy with it.

In the first heat I started 9th out of 10 and finished 4th. Not bad considering it was my first time out with the car and I wasn't happy with the way it was handling.

I made some more tweaks before the second heat. The car seemed to get worse. The severe push had returned so I resorted to braking hard again. I spun out a lot trying to slide the car because it simply wouldn't turn any other way. I finished 4th out of 4.

With those results I didn't make the A Main. I made some more changes before the B main. I am not a setup guy. I typically setup a car and learn to drive it. I told myself to just drive the car that way it had to be driven in the main. I decided I was going to brake before the turn, get slow for the turn, and drive out hard. I also decided I was going to brake on the straight so I didn't spin out in the turn. I pushed hard, tried to stay focused (difficult for me), and tried to stay consistent. I started in 3rd and about 10 laps or so into the race I took the lead and never looked back. I was happy with a B Main win for my first outing.

I got bumped up to the A Main where I started 6th out of 7th and that's where I finished. My new battery didn't seem to have any pep.

I need to try to get the car to turn. Before the main I put a larger spring spacer on the left rear shock and the next smaller sizes on the right rear shock. I was thinking this would lean the car forward and put more weight on the front wheels while also putting more weight on the right rear tire. I think it helped a little, but not as much as I wanted. What suggestions do you guys have for getting the car to turn better? Thanks.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

I forgot to mention that my 3D printed wheel covers from Shapeways held up through practice and one heat. They did not break nor did they pop off despite contact with other cars and the wall. I was please with that.

I changed wheels and tires to the other style Traxxas Slash wheels. I did not have wheel discs available for those tires, but they are up on Shapeways. I'm going to order a set and have them printed.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Love the wrap, but I don't see where it was damaged at all. Nice mods too and I plan to add the blue rear carriers soon, maybe the front parts as well.

Here is a picture of my Slash 2wd Mud Boss. I have the Hot Racing aluminum steering arms in black, Traxxas LCG chassis, Traxxas blue alloy shock caps, Pro-Line Split Six Bead-Loc rims (2715-04 rear, 2714-04 front) painted blue, JConcepts Goosebumps (green compound), Hobbyking 80A ESC, Thunder Power 13.5T motor, Airtronics 92524 receiver, MX-V transmitter, Duratrax 2S lipo, stock Traxxas steering servo and servo saver.

I was out last Thursday for my first race ever and qualified 2nd in the Amain. I finished 2nd in the Amain a few seconds behind the winner and on the same lap. We run an 80 lap main.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:30 AM
Tech Elite

I turned this back into a stock Traxxas Slash / Raptor so I can drive it. I bought Proline Slingshot paddle tires for the rear and Mohawk tires for the front and mounted them on F11 beadlock wheels with blue STRC rings so I can fling some snow. Here's a short video I made from driving in today's fresh snow.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.