R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More

Like Tree13Likes

Old 03-08-2017, 11:20 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default 1/5th Baja Oval Racing Discussion

OK ....Ive got the stock 5b ss 26 motor with just the 18/56 metal gears & factory shocks & rc4less springs / Hill Late model body .... What am I going to need to go race & be competitive ?
Bob Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:54 AM   #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I can help. Need to know a couple things. What size track are you running and what is the track made of? Loose dirt, sand, clay?
Could not do this without my sponsors: OBR/Turtle Racing Core Team, Oneill Brothers Racing, Turtle Racing Products, Axis RC, Detroit Performance RC, Booster Pipes, Ronshop Racing, MIP, Undertaker Custom Paints, Hilantronics, Hitec, Mattox Designs, Team Chase, Phatdad RC, Bodies by Hill, RedXRC
Packfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Ive heard its a go cart track and some of the guys are running 19/55 gears .... I looked and seems like i need to buy a new clutch to use the metal gears ....Also I heard Kaos tires but im not sure which compound ....
Old 03-09-2017, 01:51 PM   #4

Khaos work just about anywhere. They come in 2 compounds, white is medium and blue is hard. The harder the surface, the harder compound or you will wear them out fast.

I run the V2 Turtle Clutch setup. They are tough and last. Watch DDM as they have them on sale about every 2 months. There are other makers but I can only speak for the Turtle as that is all I have ran.
Use the Yellow Hostile Zero Growth Foams in the rear. I run stock molded foams up front.
Is your car an HPI? This will matter for what braces you want to update.
Best place for a lot of good info is 1/5 scale oval racers on Facebook. Lots of great people their with good info.
Not sure if a stock 26 will hang with modded motors. I run all OBR engines. Fast, reliable and the best service in the business. Again, that's my opinion as I have not ran any other engines.

Any other questions, feel free to ask and get ready to have a fricken blast racing these big badass fast cars.
Could not do this without my sponsors: OBR/Turtle Racing Core Team, Oneill Brothers Racing, Turtle Racing Products, Axis RC, Detroit Performance RC, Booster Pipes, Ronshop Racing, MIP, Undertaker Custom Paints, Hilantronics, Hitec, Mattox Designs, Team Chase, Phatdad RC, Bodies by Hill, RedXRC
Old 03-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Yes ...its an hpi 5 b ss .... Thanks for the link .... Im looking at the OBR Motors now ... So everyone uses F/B now instead of forums ?
Old 03-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #6

Facebook is the new forums....lol. Except here on Rctech.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
Tech Regular

I guess im old school ...I like it here .... So I looked up my 26 motor that came in the kit & its 2.5 hp :-( .... So the next step up is 6303 - 6hp Prostock Ported Zenoah G320RC 31.8cc Engine ... How many steps up ....LOL
Old 03-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #8

If you're going OBR, Call Dan and tell him you want the Jeff Special. I run 29.5CC Oval Modded engines with the stock 6000 RPM clutch and 990 carb. Can't go wrong.

A 32CC is not allowed at many of the tracks I ran at. 30.5 is usually the max allowed.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #9

1719 - CNC Ported Full Mod Zenoah 29.5cc 4 Bolt Engine - Billet Crankcase - Full Mod Engines - Engines - HPI Baja, etc.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:54 PM   #10

https://www.facebook.com/DeadendRace...7069351115278/

Not sure if the link will work. That's my Sprint out front with the 29cc engine geared 1 to 2 teeth lower than the rest of the field.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #11
Tech Regular

keep the info coming .... Im learning alot ..
Old 03-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #12
Tech Regular

I run 29.5CC Oval Modded engines with the stock 6000 RPM clutch and 990 carb ... Question ? Since im a newbe to the gas engine thing ....Do I still want the Turtle clutch for the steel gears ?
Old 03-10-2017, 06:08 PM   #13

Yes you want the Turtle setup. The pinion is steel but you want to run Hostile spur gears which are plastic.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:09 PM   #14

BTW if you order from DDM, use coupon code ddm and you get 5% off.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:14 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Default gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packfan View Post
Yes you want the Turtle setup. The pinion is steel but you want to run Hostile spur gears which are plastic.
I worry about plastic gear & heat ... I know their lighter & faster but they also strip ... With a 30 lb car will plastic gears hold up ?