Wiki Posts
Search

Losi Five-B build tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 03:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default Losi Five-B build tips

I'm thinking of putting togeather a bad ass Losi 5B and I need a little direction.
Engine
Pipe
Clutch
Servo(s)
Etc..

Please share your experience and links are always nice.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You looking to race it or bash it?
Old 10-30-2016, 04:38 PM
Tech Lord

Race

I went to a close by track (100 mile) they were having a 1/5 race and I got a chance to meet and chat with Chris Barlatone Josh Alton and Kevin Enriqez all super nice guys. There was quite a crew from down south there. I learned a lot. Still not sure on the clutches but in the buggy the dual spectrum speed servos seem to be the way to roll.

I snapped a few pics too
Man these things look fun.

https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?se...1&l=b558e165f3
Old 10-31-2016, 03:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes they are. Most guys are running either a 29.5 or 30.5 motor. I was running a 30.5 but needed some more top end. Building a 28.5 for it now. I run the Bartolone pipe and love it. I prefer the new Hitec 845 servos over the spectrums. Clutches I run a MIP but the stock one is good with a 9500 rpm spring. Stay away from turtle racing snapper. It just don't last.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:41 AM
Tech Lord

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:26 PM
Tech Rookie

I just missed that race Frank!! I want to build a TLR 5ive B as my first 1/5 scale. I'm in the same boat as you. I hope to see you in Madera soon.

Originally Posted by Frank L
Race

I went to a close by track (100 mile) they were having a 1/5 race and I got a chance to meet and chat with Chris Barlatone Josh Alton and Kevin Enriqez all super nice guys. There was quite a crew from down south there. I learned a lot. Still not sure on the clutches but in the buggy the dual spectrum speed servos seem to be the way to roll.

I snapped a few pics too
Man these things look fun.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
I'm thinking of putting togeather a bad ass Losi 5B and I need a little direction.
Engine
Pipe
Clutch
Servo(s)
Etc..

Please share your experience and links are always nice.
Thanks in advance.
I like the O'Neill Brothers engines. They have a specially ported one for the buggy. Great customer service.

Pipes I have the Booster pipe on mine. There are pros and cons to both the booster and Bartalone pipes. The booster pipe come straight out of the engine so it isn't as close to the throttle servo but it mounts to the rear shock tower. Mine is mounted with just one screw in the mount instead of 2 to give it more movement. The bartalone is nice and mounts to the engine but when it comes off the engine it curves towards the front of the truck and gets close to the throttle servo.

MIP clutch with no question. Easy to install and will last a long time. Clean the clutch bell with brake cleaner and scuff it with some emery cloth.

Ive seen a few guys run the dual servo setup but by the time you spend the money on 2 servos it may be cheaper to just get the large hitec. do some homework and figure out the weight of the 2 servos with horns and linkages versus the large servo with horn. remember twice as many screws as well. I personally run the large Hitec in my buggy. I'm running the Hitec D845WP servo for throttle and so far so good. In my buggy conversion I had the spectrum for Throttle and so far so good. I have also seen a lot of guys have trouble with these frying out and taking the recievers with them. In my truck I have a Savox and I must say it has lasted the longest of the savox that I have had. It has been in for about a year and a half but the other 5 didn't last as long.

Make sure you cut out the vent holes in the body including the windshield. I would also cut the engine opening out more and give it more ventilation. I put holes in my chassis guards on the sides as well for more ventilation.

Don't forget to get the MIP header lock kit.

Good luck to you on your build. I hope this helps.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Awesome, thanks for the info!!

Originally Posted by nitro neil
I like the O'Neill Brothers engines. They have a specially ported one for the buggy. Great customer service.

Pipes I have the Booster pipe on mine. There are pros and cons to both the booster and Bartalone pipes. The booster pipe come straight out of the engine so it isn't as close to the throttle servo but it mounts to the rear shock tower. Mine is mounted with just one screw in the mount instead of 2 to give it more movement. The bartalone is nice and mounts to the engine but when it comes off the engine it curves towards the front of the truck and gets close to the throttle servo.

MIP clutch with no question. Easy to install and will last a long time. Clean the clutch bell with brake cleaner and scuff it with some emery cloth.

Ive seen a few guys run the dual servo setup but by the time you spend the money on 2 servos it may be cheaper to just get the large hitec. do some homework and figure out the weight of the 2 servos with horns and linkages versus the large servo with horn. remember twice as many screws as well. I personally run the large Hitec in my buggy. I'm running the Hitec D845WP servo for throttle and so far so good. In my buggy conversion I had the spectrum for Throttle and so far so good. I have also seen a lot of guys have trouble with these frying out and taking the recievers with them. In my truck I have a Savox and I must say it has lasted the longest of the savox that I have had. It has been in for about a year and a half but the other 5 didn't last as long.

Make sure you cut out the vent holes in the body including the windshield. I would also cut the engine opening out more and give it more ventilation. I put holes in my chassis guards on the sides as well for more ventilation.

Don't forget to get the MIP header lock kit.

Good luck to you on your build. I hope this helps.