R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2016, 02:25 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 59
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Team Associated B4.2 Buggy

Hey Guys,

Will likely be picking up a Team Associated B4.2 buggy RTR this weekend and this will be my first ever RC experience. I am wanting to get into oval racing (pavement/asphalt) with it. I will post the specs/requirements of the class at the end of the post.

However, if I am going to race this buggy, what do I need to improve on IT before heading to the track. Obviously my driving skills will be the first things I need to improve but what on the car are a MUST before putting it on the track. I will have close to $500 to put into it. $250+$100-$150+$30 (body) will have me at around $400-$430 before I can step anywhere else, not to mention paint for the body I will need to get for the class I will be racing.

So what will I NEED to improve on the car: Shocks, tires, Servo, what do yall think? There is ZERO banking in the turns on this track and the track is standard, parking lot asphalt.

Thanks guy!


Requirements-

1. 2wd 1/10 electric buggys with transmission - NO direct drive vehicles such as Pan Cars. Vehicles used must be originally 1/10 buggies. Must maintain buggy geometry, i.e. no truck arms etc..

2. 13.5t brushless motor, with the only exception is that the Reedy motor included in the Team Associated B4.2 buggy RTR is allowed.

3. 2 cell lipo (7.4v) battery, no capacity limits.

4. Either McAllister body #254, #240, #129 Street rod or RJS Legends bodies (coupe or Sedan) are permitted. No additional wings.

5. Rubber tires on 1/10 buggy rims
Ebaker54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:31 AM   #2
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: okc,ok
Posts: 373
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Tires for the track, and prob a good servo. Rtr cars usally have slow stearing servos
sgtlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:34 AM   #3
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: okc,ok
Posts: 373
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

We have that same class at one of the tracks I go to and the 3300 ready motor that comes in the car does real well.
sgtlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:03 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 59
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Thanks sgtlt,

I have been running around the forums and the servo concern is always at the top from what I can see. Then followed by tires, really I see them listed as 1A and 1B on most posts. I also see people talking about suspension upgrades, gear box, etc.

My local shop owner did say that the B4.2 RTR is very competitive in this class out of the box. I just want to be sure to upgrade the MUSTs first while I have the "extra" cash on hand. Thinking about getting a decent set of tools as well.
Ebaker54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #5
Tech Master
 
heretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: europe
Posts: 1,079
Default

For any application with decent grip, no matter what class you run, a rear (overhanging) motor car will be at a disadvantage compared to a car with the motor in front of the rear wheels. BTW 2wd buggies converted to oval duty have been mid-motor since the dawn of time. Maybe your shop is simply trying to unload his RTR crap that's been sitting on the shelf for too long. Not saying this is necessarily the case but I have seen this so many times, it's just infuriating.

Additionally, buying a RTR is a bad decision virtually every time. Not trying to be an ass, just trying to save you some money. The B4.2 RTR is ultimately a 2003 car, with a sub-optimal layout for your application, and with low end equipment all around. Nothing to see here.

My personal advice: buy a B5MID and a good radio (Sanwa MXV or MT4 come to mind), a good servo with metal gears (Sanwa has a digital low profile for like 65 bucks, look no further). Chassis, radio and servo are the areas where you must NEVER cheap out. And tires, of course.

After that, honestly, you can buy a cheap sensored ESC, cheap batteries and motor and you will not see any difference until you become reaaally good- if at all. Go to Hobbyking and have at it.

Honestly, the setup I recommend will cost a bit more money up front but you will have a MUCH better car and save TONS of cash in the long run.

HTH
__________________
I love wedge bodies. I love dish wheels.
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:25 AM   #6
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,856
Default

There is an oval forum on RCTech that may have more specific info for the class.

What I would do is get the car race legal, and run it as it is. There is so much that you will learn as you go along that there is no benefit in changing stuff before the car turns a wheel.

Tyres are a HUGE factor and if you are on the wrong ones you will be nowhere. I'm sure there will be some experienced and helpful people at the track who can guide you in the right direction (but avoid the ones who tell you you need the best of everything to compete... drivers win races, not cars). Just keep an eye on the mechanical and electrical stuff, a badly maintained car will not perform.

Oh, and be sure to enjoy yourself!
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:26 AM   #7
Tech Master
 
heretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: europe
Posts: 1,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebaker54 View Post
My local shop owner did say that the B4.2 RTR is very competitive in this class out of the box.
Red flag right here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebaker54 View Post
Thinking about getting a decent set of tools as well.
Very good investment. MIP are the very best I have tried (don't let the yellow plastic fool you) but there are plenty of brands to choose from.

Edit: here's a paper-napkin estimate.
B5M Factory Lite 280$ (A-main/ Tower prices)
Sanwa MXV 80$ (HK price)
Sanwa ERS-971 60$ (Rcmart price)
Accucell Ac/DC charger, 6amps 30$ (Hking)
Trackstar ESC with motor, sensored, 68$ (Hking)
Zippy 4000 mAh batteries x2 32$ (Hking)
Body 30$

Total 580USD sans shipping. You could maybe even get better prices on some stuff.
Seriously, considering how much more car you get for your money it would be insane to go for the B4.2. The B5M FL is an awesome, state-of-the-art car with mainstream parts availability, and zero hop-up needed. Jussayin.
__________________
I love wedge bodies. I love dish wheels.

Last edited by heretic; 04-20-2016 at 10:04 AM.
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #8
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretic View Post
For any application with decent grip, no matter what class you run, a rear (overhanging) motor car will be at a disadvantage compared to a car with the motor in front of the rear wheels. BTW 2wd buggies converted to oval duty have been mid-motor since the dawn of time. Maybe your shop is simply trying to unload his RTR crap that's been sitting on the shelf for too long. Not saying this is necessarily the case but I have seen this so many times, it's just infuriating.

Additionally, buying a RTR is a bad decision virtually every time. Not trying to be an ass, just trying to save you some money. The B4.2 RTR is ultimately a 2003 car, with a sub-optimal layout for your application, and with low end equipment all around. Nothing to see here.

My personal advice: buy a B5MID and a good radio (Sanwa MXV or MT4 come to mind), a good servo with metal gears (Sanwa has a digital low profile for like 65 bucks, look no further). Chassis, radio and servo are the areas where you must NEVER cheap out. And tires, of course.

After that, honestly, you can buy a cheap sensored ESC, cheap batteries and motor and you will not see any difference until you become reaaally good- if at all. Go to Hobbyking and have at it.

Honestly, the setup I recommend will cost a bit more money up front but you will have a MUCH better car and save TONS of cash in the long run.

HTH

So your telling him to buy another discontinued model? Smart advice
foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:22 AM   #9
Tech Master
 
heretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: europe
Posts: 1,079
Default

LOL. You are quoting a message from exactly one year ago. Get lost, troll
__________________
I love wedge bodies. I love dish wheels.
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:36 AM   #10
Tech Adept
 
losibarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 120
Default

Guys at my local track love it
losibarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:00 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net