Wiki Posts
Search

1/16 Slash Dirt Oval Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default 1/16 Slash Dirt Oval Racing

I am looking to drum up some interest in a spec class for the 1/16 Slash at the local dirt oval. They will run any class as long as there are three cars. So I am building 3 cars, one for me, one for my son (he is 8), and one "guest" car for either one of his friends or one of mine.

I went with the Slash because the dimensions are almost identical to the Losi Mini Late Model so there is a good selection of bodies that look like they will work. They are cheap (I just got two along with two complete sets of front and rear RPM arms from Tower for $400 after discount PLUS another $48 back in Tower Cash so about $150 each) and there are aftermarket parts available for them. The new XL2.5 has LVD and is LiPo ready (I have some Turnigy 2s LiPo's coming from Hobby King that were $12 each) which is a big plus.

I figure someone could get going in a class like this for sub $300 if they shopped around, including a McAllister 1/18 dirt oval body.

What do you think are the weak parts of this truck? I did a search but can't really find a thread on here for them. Anything I should do to make them more reliable? Any cheap MG servos that drop in? Should I pull the diffs apart and refill them and shim them? What weight diff lube would be good for something like this?

I've got one car in hand, bodies in hand (waiting to trim and paint them), and the other two trucks on order and the batteries coming soon. If there is interest I will post pics when I get one done.

Thanks,

-Joe
Old 05-21-2015, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

We have about a dozen of the 1/16 Traxxas Rally cars running on our dirt tri oval. They use Mcallister Batesville dirt late model bodies. Cars work great and we run the stock brushless system, they are very fast. In the winter we run the same set up on our indoor carpet track but set the ESC on training mode because the indoor track is smaller and can't handle the top speed. The only weak area we have found is the pivot ball section that adjusts camber. After running for quite some time the stock Traxxas plastic that captures the pivot balls become worn and loose. RPM makes a replacement that fixes the problem and last for a very long time.