Wiki Posts
Search

tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 01:33 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default tires

anyone have any info as to how well the new 1/5 scale GRP tires hold up? can they handle the power of an electric?

Last edited by kongluc; 03-25-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kongluc
anyone have any info as to how well the new 1/5 scale GRP tires hold up? can they handle the power of an electric?
They're great on my FG. Should hold up with a brushless setup.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:47 AM
Suspended

sorry to not specify which ones but the onroad tires....
Old 03-26-2015, 11:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Those are the ones I'm talking about.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Suspended

not what I expected but hmmm....
Old 04-04-2015, 11:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

In what way are they not what you expected?
Old 04-05-2015, 09:48 AM
Suspended

they're a little stiff.. but for my application I was lookin for that... I probably should have gotten the super soft instead of soft... but in all it seems that I picked a good starting point.. being that they do flex but shouldn't balloon

just not expecting a cap
Old 04-12-2015, 07:49 AM
Tech Addict

GRP now has newer rubber. They designate them S1 Super soft, S3 Extra soft, S5 Soft and S7 medium. They also have a new compound called P3 which is used on tracks that have high traction and can be used all around. They all cost the same $45 a pair with discounts available on quantities.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:22 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tbaffer
GRP now has newer rubber. They designate them S1 Super soft, S3 Extra soft, S5 Soft and S7 medium. They also have a new compound called P3 which is used on tracks that have high traction and can be used all around. They all cost the same $45 a pair with discounts available on quantities.
i have the s5`s
Old 04-15-2015, 04:51 AM
Suspended

I'm not interested in longevity of the tires lifespan im looking for ultimate traction...any thoughts as to what compound to use?
Old 04-15-2015, 04:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kongluc
I'm not interested in longevity of the tires lifespan im looking for ultimate traction...any thoughts as to what compound to use?
If you want the best traction, you need the softest compound made. Warm them up very slowly on the track! If possible, after using tire warmers!

That way, the tires have less chance of ripping apart.
If you do this the the tires will generate very high traction but will wear very fast depending on the road surface.
The smoother tracks you need to use the slicks, rough surface tends to like the very soft treaded tires.
Rain tires tend to use the softest compound but be very careful using them!! They are that soft that they generate heat very quickly and will rip apart if your not gentle on them for the first few laps!! Even then, they may still over heat running them in the dry but then, you will have the best traction possible and your no longevity at all!!

That's what you want isn't it?

Regards
BM
Old 04-15-2015, 08:27 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by British Menace
If you want the best traction, you need the softest compound made. Warm them up very slowly on the track! If possible, after using tire warmers!

That way, the tires have less chance of ripping apart.
If you do this the the tires will generate very high traction but will wear very fast depending on the road surface.
The smoother tracks you need to use the slicks, rough surface tends to like the very soft treaded tires.
Rain tires tend to use the softest compound but be very careful using them!! They are that soft that they generate heat very quickly and will rip apart if your not gentle on them for the first few laps!! Even then, they may still over heat running them in the dry but then, you will have the best traction possible and your no longevity at all!!

That's what you want isn't it?

Regards
BM
exactly what i wanted....thanks
Old 04-15-2015, 09:37 AM
Suspended

I'm usually running on blacktop or tarmac...so the s5`s should work great then....
Old 04-15-2015, 11:34 AM
Tech Addict

I am posting the GRP fact sheet on 5th scale tires. They show the recommended tire for the track conditions listed. This sheet also shows the new P3 tire compond. As a rule Rain tires are designed to work on a wet track only. In the USA we do not run races when it is raining; in Europe they do. Just like Formula 1 racing rain tires destroy themselves in dry weather. The softest compound is S1 and it will provide the most traction with the highest wear ratio. This is exactly what full scale F1 racing experiences.
If the track is clean and the surface prepped with traction compound the S1 may cause traction roll. Most racers are using a harder compound on the rear. That's why S5 and S7 were the tires of choice for most racers. The softer compounds work great in qualifying.
Attached Thumbnails tires-grp-5th-scale-tc-sheet.jpg  
Old 04-15-2015, 05:07 PM
Suspended

got a chance to get a test run with them....side walls are toooo stiff...i need to change up the roll center...stiffen the front a little...they trac perfectly straight...the specs for these tires are dead on. make sure you get the ones recommended by manufacturer and they wont disappoint you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.