R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More

Old 10-08-2014, 03:35 AM   #16
Tech Regular

i believe 1 guy at my track used a motor like 2650 on 6 and yes....126km/h I measured myself with handheld radar but it was probably not kind to the battery. and probably not at full speed by the end of the straight either.

feel free to chime in patto...if your reading. lol
jeff_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:47 AM   #17
M7H
Tech Elite

Patto? I "know" Paul, but he is playing guitar now.
M7H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:51 AM   #18
Tech Regular

and hes probably got that turned up to 11.. LOL
jeff_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #19
Sol
Tech Rookie

Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting a 977e but would like to use 4s, will this be possible and if so what kv motor should I use to get decent speed.
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post

together with a 16 and 17T pinion
16T for big rear tyres, 17 for 72mm and smaller.
The 14 put in the kit, is offcourse a bit on the safe side, for those people who will try bigger kv motors anyway......

I tested with Hobbywing Xerun 150A, and although I use there products in my 12th scale, and Pro10, in my tests with my 966e, I have not been happy with the Xerun 150A.
Even if you turn of every protection available in the ESC, it still does some sort of Low Voltage cut or something when running it on 6S.....

Maybe now with the use of better batteries, the problem is gone, but I am not sure about that.

I would most certainly NOT recommend to put in a 2650kv from Tekin, because the car will be a rocket then! and not for long I am afraid....

But if you do, be sure to make a video for us!
Are you running fans to help with the heat like we have to do in the GT cars?
D.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:30 AM   #21
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.a.v.e View Post
Are you running fans to help with the heat like we have to do in the GT cars?
Yes
Old 10-09-2014, 02:34 AM   #22
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting a 977e but would like to use 4s, will this be possible and if so what kv motor should I use to get decent speed.
I would suggest to go for a 2200-2250kv motor, and if you need more speed, just gear up.
I believe you can go up to a pinion of 22 in the 977e, but I have to check this!
Old 10-09-2014, 02:44 AM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

together with a 16 and 17T pinion
16T for big rear tyres, 17 for 72mm and smaller.
The 14 put in the kit, is offcourse a bit on the safe side, for those people who will try bigger kv motors anyway......

I tested with Hobbywing Xerun 150A, and although I use there products in my 12th scale, and Pro10, in my tests with my 966e, I have not been happy with the Xerun 150A.
Even if you turn of every protection available in the ESC, it still does some sort of Low Voltage cut or something when running it on 6S.....

Maybe now with the use of better batteries, the problem is gone, but I am not sure about that.

I would most certainly NOT recommend to put in a 2650kv from Tekin, because the car will be a rocket then! and not for long I am afraid....

But if you do, be sure to make a video for us!
Regarding your cut off issue, did you manually set the esc to 6 cell (setup item no. 12) instead of the "Auto Calculate" setting (default)?

The manual states "So in order to make the Low Voltage Cutoff Protection function always works correctly, please
set the “Lipo Cells” item manually"
Old 10-09-2014, 03:39 AM   #24
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkin View Post
Regarding your cut off issue, did you manually set the esc to 6 cell (setup item no. 12) instead of the "Auto Calculate" setting (default)?

The manual states "So in order to make the Low Voltage Cutoff Protection function always works correctly, please
set the “Lipo Cells” item manually"
Yes I did, and even then, the ESC gives you an amount of "beeps" when you switch it on, to tell you how many lipo's it counts.
You think I would fall for such a simple solution?...
I know, you can never be sure, but believe me, I know a thing or 2 about this subject.

No really, even with lipo cut off set to "off", it cuts.....

But this may have been because the lipo's I was using where not of a very high "C" rating, and when accelerating under heavy load, you get a bigger amount of "noise" which in return might destroy the build in capacitors.
Maybe that's why the ESC might still cut, in order to prevent this, I don't know.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:43 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Yes I did, and even then, the ESC gives you an amount of "beeps" when you switch it on, to tell you how many lipo's it counts.
You think I would fall for such a simple solution?...
I know, you can never be sure, but believe me, I know a thing or 2 about this subject.

No really, even with lipo cut off set to "off", it cuts.....

But this may have been because the lipo's I was using where not of a very high "C" rating, and when accelerating under heavy load, you get a bigger amount of "noise" which in return might destroy the build in capacitors.
Maybe that's why the ESC might still cut, in order to prevent this, I don't know.
Well, I'm no expert, but I had the same problem, only on 4s, and it helped to disable the lipo cut off, but on rare occasions I still had the problem. My lipos where 35C Hobbykings with a lot of ussage on them. Maybe new higher C lipos would have helped.

OK, another stupid suggestion, do you think running an external capacitor, or BEC (I ran the Castle 10amp bec) would help, maybe putting less strain on the esc's internals, helping it not to "freak out"?
Old 10-09-2014, 05:03 AM   #26
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkin View Post
OK, another stupid suggestion, do you think running an external capacitor, or BEC (I ran the Castle 10amp bec) would help, maybe putting less strain on the esc's internals, helping it not to "freak out"?
An external BEC, or Capacitor, are 2 totally different things.....

I don't believe the BEC will be in trouble, in an on road car. except maybe with those drivers who have not set there steering servo's end points correct. But they deserve this.

An external capacitor, will help to protect the internal capacitors, in case the system is used under heavy load (difficult to define), but it will never hurt, to install it anyway.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:09 AM   #27
Tech Rookie

has anyone tried this model?
claudiooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Yes. All of the people in this thread! Including myself. The car is fantastic. Feels just like driving my 977 nitro car except with the endless torque of the brushless motor on 6s. I still prefer my nitro 977 as I'm a total gas head but for practice and racing where noise is an issue the 977 electric is absolutely incredible. It's there anything specific you'd like to know?
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:22 AM   #29
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
Yes. All of the people in this thread! Including myself. The car is fantastic. Feels just like driving my 977 nitro car except with the endless torque of the brushless motor on 6s. I still prefer my nitro 977 as I'm a total gas head but for practice and racing where noise is an issue the 977 electric is absolutely incredible. It's there anything specific you'd like to know?
the center of gravity and ok with the lipo on the sides? I would start with motor 2200kv mamba monster esc 150 and 22t pinion do you recommend? thanks
claudiooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OK so seems lots of guys here are better at the maths than me so here's my plan will it work?? I've been running tekin rx8 2650 in my gte using 35c 5000mah 2s packs and having no trouble running 5 min heats and 8 min mains on my local club track. If run a tekin 2050 rx8 combo in this car will I get similar run times or do I have to run 6s. I know gearing is a factor but I'll probably be running 16-17t pinion.
Slash 4x4, Axial Deadbolt
scooby61 is offline   Reply With Quote