Search
Like Tree1Likes

CUSTOM WORKS IS A JOKE

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 04:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)
Default CUSTOM WORKS IS A JOKE

Trying to build an updated Outlaw kit. The manual is so outdated that NONE of the updates are in the manual. Kit is missing hardware and spacers. The hardware that is in the kit is too short. The ballstuds don't even screw far enough into the lock nuts to reach the nylon. Thrust bearing and motor plate are different. I ended up using mostly my own stainless steel hardware to get this piece of crap assembled. I've been on the phone with CW the last three days trying to get this figured out. All they do is make excuses about how they're a small company and they have parts issues and running changes. That's great I paid $320 for a kit that I had to supply most of the hardware for and still can't finish it because I've just hit another snag with they're outdated manual. How hard would it to print a new manual or upload a new PDF file? On top of it all they offered me a free t-shirt. REALLY...you want me to advertise your product for you? Small company or not Custom Works should be ashamed for putting this product out.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pettyeagles
Trying to build an updated Outlaw kit. The manual is so outdated that NONE of the updates are in the manual. Kit is missing hardware and spacers. The hardware that is in the kit is too short. The ballstuds don't even screw far enough into the lock nuts to reach the nylon. Thrust bearing and motor plate are different. I ended up using mostly my own stainless steel hardware to get this piece of crap assembled. I've been on the phone with CW the last three days trying to get this figured out. All they do is make excuses about how they're a small company and they have parts issues and running changes. That's great I paid $320 for a kit that I had to supply most of the hardware for and still can't finish it because I've just hit another snag with they're outdated manual. How hard would it to print a new manual or upload a new PDF file? On top of it all they offered me a free t-shirt. REALLY...you want me to advertise your product for you? Small company or not Custom Works should be ashamed for putting this product out.
Nascar driver Tony Stewart owns Custom Works.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

They have been that way since day one. I'll give you $10 for the shirt
Old 08-21-2014, 09:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Pretty much all dirt oval kits are like that. Another brand late model I built required all kinds of mods to get the shock length right. At the next big race I talked to the owner about it and he said sorry but they never use the kit shocks so he didn't know how to get them right.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Tony does own it but I don't believe he has anything to do with the operation.

Unfortunately I think this is a common issue with the high end dirt oval cars. All the manufactures are small guys that make frequent changes and the cars are kind of a mash up of off-road Associated parts and oval pan cars. Experienced guys kind of put them together by memory but it leaves new people a left a little behind.

For what it is worth, you should be able to get lots of help and quick answers at a forum more heavily traffic'd by dirt oval guys. www dot dirtoval dot com or you local track where you're going to race it.

The car will be quick once you have it setup.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

Man, that is a lot of money to be having those kinds of problems....
Old 08-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Well after I wasted a week trying to build the Outlaw(got suspended from dirt oval.com), Rob from CW sent me all the parts to upgrade to the Pro Comp version and a free t-shirt. I will restart the build and see how it goes. I expect alot of issues based on my CW experience so far.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well after I wasted a week trying to build the Outlaw(got suspended from dirt oval.com), Rob from CW sent me all the parts to upgrade to the Pro Comp version and a free t-shirt. I will restart the build and see how it goes. I expect alot of issues based on my CW experience so far.
Yeah I noticed they deleted your thread on DODC.
Better buy some spare arms, they snap like peanut brittle.
Buy a Murfdogg next time! They are top of the line, very few plastic parts, all carbon fiber and machined delrin,titanium turnbuckles, ceramic bearings etc...No option parts to buy...Plus they come built with the teams baseline setup out of the box.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default custom works

This company you are talking about has been in business for many years and I have sold there products for years and not one time have I or any of my customers called and not got the problem solved right then. there not a fly by night company as you act like they are. I have sold cars by ever mfg out there and I don't recall any of the top of the line dirt cars even having a manual. As a matter of fact on of the leading companies in dirt cars started building the cars before they sent then out because of people just like you they would use the wrong part in one place and come up short in another place so it was just as easy to put it toghter to save all the time on the phone explaining how to do it . So don't feel bad your not alone I promise. I am not being a smart @@@ just stating the truth you will find out once you get your car at the track and see how the ones running up front are built you will agree but then it's to late .
hunterdawg likes this.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stevecox1957
This company you are talking about has been in business for many years and I have sold there products for years and not one time have I or any of my customers called and not got the problem solved right then. there not a fly by night company as you act like they are. I have sold cars by ever mfg out there and I don't recall any of the top of the line dirt cars even having a manual. As a matter of fact on of the leading companies in dirt cars started building the cars before they sent then out because of people just like you they would use the wrong part in one place and come up short in another place so it was just as easy to put it toghter to save all the time on the phone explaining how to do it . So don't feel bad your not alone I promise. I am not being a smart @@@ just stating the truth you will find out once you get your car at the track and see how the ones running up front are built you will agree but then it's to late .
It's hard to value the opinion of someone who butchers the English language and basic grammar.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It's hard to value the opinion of someone who butchers the English language and basic grammar.
I thought the same thing when I read that a couple days ago.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Old 09-08-2014, 02:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No wonder you could not put the car together what you going to do with it if you ever do you got someone that can drive it for you or I guess you mom might help you she got you this far.lmao
Old 09-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stevecox1957
No wonder you could not put the car together what you going to do with it if you ever do you got someone that can drive it for you or I guess you mom might help you she got you this far.lmao
Says the guy who's parents met at their family reunion. Lmfao
Old 09-22-2014, 06:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Same story....

While I think pettyeagles is a little harsh.. I got finished building an Outlaw as well and I was blown away that from step ONE the hardware did not match the manual! In the manual it states you will not have to take parts from other bags to complete assemblies I found this to be categorically untrue! I'm going to see if CW will match the offer they made to pettyeagles.

Go fast turn left! In the dirt!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.