Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Size of Onroad and Offroad Ovals?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Size of Onroad and Offroad Ovals?

Hello all..

Absolute virgin to ovals, and want to incorportate an oval on both onroad and offroad tracks that i am involved in building.

So.. roughly... how long are the ovals..

bitumen.. i had planned a 4 corner track of 50m x 30m = 160m (540ft) without banked corners.. is this too long? .. i will run an infield track to allow nitro tourers, elect tourers and 1/12ths which will be the staple.

Dirt.. i want to run sprint cars and late models but have no idea of sizing.. my plan is to build an offroad racetrack around the outside of the oval.. again the staple will be 1/10 elect offroaders ie.. 2wd, 4wd, truggy, sc

Trying to get as many classes available as i can... any help appreciated.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Stangas
Hello all..

Absolute virgin to ovals, and want to incorportate an oval on both onroad and offroad tracks that i am involved in building.

bitumen.. i had planned a 4 corner track of 50m x 30m = 160m (540ft) without banked corners.. is this too long? .. i will run an infield track to allow nitro tourers, elect tourers and 1/12ths which will be the staple.
50m = 164'. 30m = 98'.

That's absolutely HUGE for 1/10th scale and 1 1/12th scale electric (pan and touring cars) oval and on-road. You don't really need much more than about 100' x 48'. The run line for the oval (the "racing" line that the cars will travel) should be about 125-200' around the entire oval course. Anything more than that is just HUGE. Will this be outdoor or indoor? Carpet, asphalt, concrete?

Dirt.. i want to run sprint cars and late models but have no idea of sizing.. my plan is to build an offroad racetrack around the outside of the oval.. again the staple will be 1/10 elect offroaders ie.. 2wd, 4wd, truggy, sc

Same thing. Best suggestion to put the off-road in the infield of the oval; not the outside. That way, you can incorporate parts of the oval into your off-road layout as well (just like the on-road).
Old 08-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 145 (99%+)

Way too large. Like Jimmy Mark said you want around 125-175' oval
Old 08-31-2012, 06:30 PM
Tech Addict

thought as much...

trying to design a track to allow oval and touring with only 60m x 40m of asphalt

nitro tourers demand a 60m straight hence the length of the oval.. electric aint far behind.

with an oval the size you guys are talking, i wont have enough infield to create a good enough tourer track..

maybe infield and outfield?

Back to the drawing board

Cheers
Old 09-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Tech Addict

trying to design a track to allow oval and touring with only 60m x 40m of asphalt

nitro tourers demand a 60m straight hence the length of the oval.. electric aint far behind.

with an oval the size you guys are talking, i wont have enough infield to create a good enough tourer track...
Why not?

"Only" 60m of asphalt? That's nearly 200'.
40m = 131'.

All you need is about 120' x 48' (or, in metric, 36m x 14m).

For 1/10th scale electric, touring AND oval, that's plenty of room for a decent infield road course. The oval lanes should be about 10' (3m) on the straights and 12-15' (3.5 - 4.5m) in the corners. That should give you about a 90' x 20' (27.5m x 8.5m) area to design a decent road course for Touring Cars/World GT type pan cars in the infield, and using part of the oval. Use one whole straightaway of the oval, and at least one whole end corner to give the nitro guys some "speed".

Why do you say "nitro tourers *demand* a 60m straight"? It doesn't have to be all about who has the "fastest top speed at the end of the straightaways". Make these guys work on their handling and shorten it up (the straightaway, that is); put in some tight Esses (not something where they can just cut 'em "straight"), a decent sweeping corner, etc.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Tech Addict

the 60M straight was from the recommendations from the governing body... IFMAR

3.8 DESIGN
Track design must include both right and left turns and must have a straight of
minimum 60 metres/l64 feet..

This is for 1/8 and 1/10 Nitro..

27.5 x 8.5M doesnt seem enough room... the track we ran on (up until the shire rates booted us out and hence the new track) has a 60m straight as does the closest city's track.

I havent given up on the oval at all... i think it will be great.. but it MUST be primarily tourers as that is what everyone around here races.

I will need to draw some tracks up to scale to see for myself..

cheers for the input

Last edited by Stangas; 09-09-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hello all..

I currently race on an indoor hard packed clay low banked dirt oval with a 240 foot drive line. The other dirt oval track I race at occasionally is a 185 foot drive line loose dirt banked oval. Both tracks see 5 to 6 second laps depending on what we are running with the modifieds sometimes hitting low 4 second times. If you want information on dirt oval check out DirtOval.com. There is a wealth of information on that site.

If you are running paved oval then a track with a 540 foot drive line (roughly a scale mile) will see sub 8 second laps with 12th scale oval modified. About the same lap times with nitro or modified touring cars too.

Oval racing can be extremely fast and very exciting at those speeds.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Tech Addict

Cheers GP40X

so what your saying is that my original onroad size oval, give or take, would be ok.. long but ok

that size oval would give me plenty to work with for an infield race way

i would love to have some high speed runs around an oval
Old 09-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Cheers GP40X

so what your saying is that my original onroad size oval, give or take, would be ok.. long but ok

that size oval would give me plenty to work with for an infield race way

i would love to have some high speed runs around an oval
To get those speeds you will need some banking (at least 10° of banking but you could always incorporate one turn or the other as a high speed sweeper in your road course, like the 24 hours of Daytona race only on a much smaller scale.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Heres the sealed dirt oval we run on at Delta R/C in Antioch Ca. Not sure of the exact size but the 1/8 Nitro LMs are running mid 4s to mid 5s depending on if there modded or spec
Attached Thumbnails Size of Onroad and Offroad Ovals?-imag1669.jpg