Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
Is 1/5 scale a bad class to get started in? >

Is 1/5 scale a bad class to get started in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is 1/5 scale a bad class to get started in?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Tech Addict

Default Is 1/5 scale a bad class to get started in?

There is a new dirt track being put together in my town. So far, more guys plan to run 1/5 scale than anything else. The track is being sized for 1/5 vehicles.

This was my first encounter with 1/5th scale vehicles and I haven't been able to find out very much info about them.

Is there anything up front to getting started that I should be aware of compared to a battery powered ride? Any general commentary on 1/5 scale offroad that you would like to share?

It looks like there might be less cost++ costs since I don't need to buy batteries or a charger, but the ride itself is a bit more, so the gap might not be as big as I first thought in terms of cash outlay.

These are all 2 stroke gasoline engines- is there temperement more finicky like nitro or more reliable like my lawnmower? Does the motor get hard to start after a few years, and is there a ballpark estimate how many hours these are good for? I was never a fan of nitro.

Trying to decide between a 1/5 fuellie or a 1/8 electric. Does it matter if the track is sized for 1/5 but you are running a 1/8 on it, in terms of wear and bad landings? I am not sure if the small size means it will handle the jumps more lightly or if it lacks the mass to reliably survive them.

The 1/8 that got brought out was faster than the 1 /5, but the size and character of that big buggy has me seriously interested.

Regards,
Old 07-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You'll find 1/5 scale is VERY easy to tune your motors. They run MUCH better than Nitro--not nearly as finicky!! For a beginner RC off road --I'd pick up a HPI Baja or Truck. You'll find them used on here--for less than $1000--stay near stock--don't get sucked into a lot of upgrades right off the bat. Or--just buy new and start with that--complete RTR around $900--hard to beat for the quality and the price.
FWIW
T
Old 07-25-2012, 06:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

The losi 5ive T is the best all around 5th scale truck you can get but you will not be saving money running 5th scale. I have had a few baja's and the 5ive T, the 5ive is much more fun.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:19 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by aznewcastle
The losi 5ive T is the best all around 5th scale truck you can get but you will not be saving money running 5th scale. I have had a few baja's and the 5ive T, the 5ive is much more fun.
I shouldn't have phrased the money talk in the way I did. What I was trying to ask was is there any hidden costs over and above the kit? For example, with electric you at least need a charger, and even if a battery pack comes standard, you will likely want a second.

The common mod I see on everyone is a new exhaust pipe, beyond that they are ran pretty stock.

One thing I thought of is, how much do they wreak of gas when you put them away? I don't have a truck and would have to put this in the trunk of my car to transport it to the field.

Last edited by Devin; 07-25-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

29cc motor and pipe are the only real upgrades that are needed. I use my car to transport the 5ive and as long as you don't spill gas all over it it does not smell at all.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:26 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by aznewcastle
29cc motor and pipe are the only real upgrades that are needed. I use my car to transport the 5ive and as long as you don't spill gas all over it it does not smell at all.
Cool, that's great news on the smell as that would be a deal breaker.

Seeing as how it's my first car in over 15 years, and my first off-roader, I don't plan on any upgrades until I am able to keep it on the track, but it's nice to know there aren't too many required.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

One of the upgrades I personally (and a lot of others who gave me the info) feel is a must is a Killer-RC style killswitch. This device will kill your engine in a variety of problem scenarios. You can also remotely kill your engine too with it. Considering the size of these vehicles and the potential for damage and injury they can cause at speeds from a runaway, you want this device.

Depending on what you buy, you will probably want a really powerful servo for the job. My first 1/5 was an MCD vehicle which uses a dual servo setup, personally, I felt that was the way to go with these heavy tires versus a single servo setup on 4wd.

I would talk to the guys who already have 1/5's they plan to run and get a feel for what vehicle types will be there. You don't want to be the only guy with say a baja against all losi 5ive-Ts.

I think something to really watch for would be cost of parts. ask around about the vehicles you are interested in and see what parts break and how much they cost. MCD for example has some items that break that are super pricey in relation to what you are actually getting.

All in all though, if true 1/5 scale racing was available out here, I would be in as the scale is very fun. For now for me, going with a 1/5 electric basher project
Old 07-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Tech Addict

Man, I did not know a kill switch was even an option. I thought that came stock on every RC. Awesome tip.

I also thought dual servo was the 5 scale standard, I'll keep that in mind to check it out though.

Not sure what is most popular ride yet, the track isn't ready. Not very many people brought their cars as lots of cargo space was taken up by the planes people had brought for the day. The demo 5 scale car was a Redcat buggy, and I know there is at least one very strong supporter of the HPI. I'll ask around further as to what the dominant vehicle type is.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I was surprised too how many do not have a killswitch.

The losi 5ive-T guys are / were having a good back and forth debate on the merits of a dual servo setup. Some company I think even make a conversion so you could put 2 servos on. Personally, I would recommend having a dual servo setup but thats me.

5th scale when I picked up my first one was a bit overwhelming. I would suggest giving a spin through some of the popular ones as far as there manuals go (or lack there of). MCD makes a championship winning buggy, but I was kind of put off by the manual and some of the things you had to do to just fit an engine in (ie- break these fins ...) But, it definitely felt great.

I am now going at it from a basher perspective, but who knows, could pickup one one day lol.

One other thing you can look into in general for the vehicles is outerwears filters for the engine and air filter. From what I have heard and could tell, worth the money.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Like nitro, you still need a battery and a charger to power up the servos. Gas is cheap, you can run for about 45 -60 minutes per tank. As far as bashing it, my experience has been that you can't bash a 5th scale as hard as an 8th just because of the mass of these things. They're still a blast though. I have a Baja 5b, XTM Grizzly (same as a Firehammer), and 2 Monster Buggy's. All 2wd, which kinda takes a while to get used to. Also, depending on where you run, the Outerwear engine cover and pull start cover are a must have. Otherwise rocks and stuff get into your flywheel, and that's the end of that. I'd also recommend the kill switch, because a runaway 5th scale can do lots of damage.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Where ya from Devin? If you are close you are welcome to wheel my Losi before you buy one
Old 07-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Best baja upgrades... Not sure about the Losi.

Killer RC Killer Bee as recommended above.
Killer RC Killer Kables to keep the suspension from over stretching the shocks and ripping them apart.

Phatdad's Angled Shreadstack to angle the carb up slightly to get more room for air filter changes

And some kind of metal clutch bell carrier to move the flex in the chassis, so you won't strip spurs.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:28 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Ridley
Where ya from Devin? If you are close you are welcome to wheel my Losi before you buy one
I am in the Sudbury, Ontario area. About 250 miles North of Toronto. I don't find myself being on your side of the lake (Ohio) anytime soon, thanks for the offer though.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:32 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rody63
Like nitro, you still need a battery and a charger to power up the servos. Gas is cheap, you can run for about 45 -60 minutes per tank. As far as bashing it, my experience has been that you can't bash a 5th scale as hard as an 8th just because of the mass of these things. They're still a blast though. I have a Baja 5b, XTM Grizzly (same as a Firehammer), and 2 Monster Buggy's. All 2wd, which kinda takes a while to get used to. Also, depending on where you run, the Outerwear engine cover and pull start cover are a must have. Otherwise rocks and stuff get into your flywheel, and that's the end of that. I'd also recommend the kill switch, because a runaway 5th scale can do lots of damage.
This seems decent, I am not a huge basher as I get bored by myself easily. That was the original draw to 1 5 scale, it being the most popular locally. That's for reminding me about the covers, one guy had that as his #1 upgrade to get, though running at our field isn't too bad, it is mostly sand and clay.

@Aaron2u - I will have to google your suspension tlak another time as I am not 100% following you.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:01 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

I would stick with 1/8 for several reasons. Better durability, better handling, and WAY less expensive. For the price of a new set of wheels and tires you could buy a 1/8 roller.

As far as the smell of gas, my experience was yes, it did smell. I didn't have the Losi, I had the HPI though, maybe that makes a difference...

1/5 was cool due to the size, at least at first. Parts prices, maintenance, finding places to run, etc., all add up to making the 1/5 scale too realistic to run. This might be different if you are running an oval, but for an offroad track, I would definitely stick with 1/8. Watch some videos of 1/5 racing. Definitely big and fast, but you will notice they are not in the same league as the 1/8 as far as durability and handling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.