Wiki Posts
Search

R/C cars and the mainstream media survey

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default R/C cars and the mainstream media survey

If I may have a moment of your time....please bear with me.....

Long story short, I'm taking a class at school which is based around one project of our choosing that lasts All Year. I am doing my research and project on none-other than "R/C car racing" and how to bring it into the mainstream media. One phase of the research is the "survey" part.

I have a few (Yes/No) questions and a very short... "short" answer question that I would very much apprecieate if you all could answer. Any help is greatly apprecieated!

Thanks!

Years in the R/C car hobby:

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present):

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes/No

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? Yes/No

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Yes/No

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes/No

What are some ways you think the R/C community can create an awareness of the hobby?

Thanks again!

-Chris Woods.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Years in the R/C car hobby: 10

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): 12

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes/No Yes

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? Yes/No Yes

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Yes/No Yes

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes/No Yes

What are some ways you think the R/C community can create an awareness of the hobby? Well what most of us do already is help the new comers. Try to make things not so confusing for people. Tell non rc friends about rc's. Anything that would promote the hobby.

Peace Aaron
Old 01-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: R/C cars and the mainstream media survey

Originally posted by mafiaracers
If I may have a moment of your time....please bear with me.....

I have a few (Yes/No) questions and a very short... "short" answer question that I would very much apprecieate if you all could answer. Any help is greatly apprecieated!

Thanks!

I hope you put this somewhere else too - I don't think you'll get much response otherwise!

Years in the R/C car hobby: 10

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): 10

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes/No Solid Maybe - depends on how. If it's exposure of HPI's RTR sport versions, no.

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? Yes/No YES

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Yes/No Probably not, but then I don't read newspapers so I don't care.

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes/No Probably not - they don't cover big Motorcycle Sidecar races, big Dirt Oval races. . .

What are some ways you think the R/C community can create an awareness of the hobby?

Get a good program on Speed or even public access which has true advice (not Chris Chianelli crap) and true reviews and true race coverage (with real camera work, not the crap I've seen on DVD's lately. . .). Then we can actually recommend that people watch it.

Get some places at tracks for people to SIT AND WATCH. . . How can we get people to watch when there aren't any bleachers?

Produce races like Nascar or ALMS are produced - good announcement, perhaps even a "tutorial" brochure for people who don't understand an IFMAR start. . .

Thanks again!

-Chris Woods.
No problem!
Old 01-25-2005, 11:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Years in the R/C car hobby: 19

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): Currently, 1, past, can’t remember but at least 15.

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes/No Yes – if it’s presented as a legitimate hobby/sport – not a bunch of kids playing with RTR junkers.

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? Yes/No Yes, but again, only if we’re exposing the masses to “real” RC cars, not a Tamiya tub of plastic RTR.

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Yes/No No, not enough people care beyond those whose names would be printed and a tiny 6-point newsprint mention buried deep inside a newspaper won’t have any tangible effect on the hobby as a whole.

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes/No News programs here in LA barely acknowledges the existence of NASCAR and ignores, F1, CART, and every other form of motorsports so I don’t think “toy car racing” would ever get a mention. So, put me down as a “no” there.

What are some ways you think the R/C community can create an awareness of the hobby? What Boomer posted.

FWIW, for roughly what Trinity spends keeping RCCA afloat each month, they could fund a half-hour "time-buy program" (i.e. an infomercial) on SpeedTV. It all depends on what the major companies in the industry want to spend their money on. Preaching to the choir or expanding the choir.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Years in the R/C car hobby: 4

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): 4 hobby grade (Corally SP10, RC10T3 RTR, RC10L, RC10TC3) and two Radio Shack buggies

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes/No Yes. I for one have wanted to see RC on SPEED or ABC or ESPN or what have you

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? Yes/No Oh yeah! If it was some 8th scale buggies launching off motocross style jumps or good door banging onroad action (electric or gas)

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Yes/No No. As much as the exposure would do some good, that is just a little bit much

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes/No (I think they should give em equal time
Old 01-25-2005, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Years in the R/C car hobby: 20

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): over 20

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes/No Yes(mainstream media has the access to the hobby, we have to access the mainstream media to use it)

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? Yes/No

Yes, Sales would increase but would it actually help the HOBBY? No.

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Yes/No

Yes, but it is upto the RACE organizer to solicit it. Don't depend on the MEDIA to find YOU.

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes/No
YES - Local News/Local Stories - BIG event..maybe on a SPORTS channel.

By holding more events in conjunction w/ fund raising efforts, events in PUBLIC places where people can be exposed instead of hidden far out of the way locations.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Years in the R/C car hobby: 22

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): more than 70

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? no

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? no

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? no

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” no

What are some ways you think the R/C community can create an awareness of the hobby? Why does awareness need to be created? The hobby is bigger than it has ever been, and still growing. Getting exposure of this "hobby" still looks like grown men playing with toys. To any non-hobbiest, it will always look like a childish way to spend money and free time.