1/8 HPI Gas R/Cs

Old 02-01-2012, 06:21 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Layloo9136
It cant be fake with all the different sites reporting on it. Just seen an article on yet another site but Im not allowed to post links yet.

All you elitest Nitro heads saying Nitro isnt hard is either exactly what I say, elitest, or ignorant. How many people have bought Nitro cars and not been able to start them and then take them back to the shops? I have lost count and see it pretty much most months on forums.

You can call them stupid or whatever but the point remains if people become dissheartened then its not good for the hobby is it?

In 07 I had pull start Hyper ST and a Savvy, and they were both great and quite easy to get going and break in. However, when I bought my Losi 8ight, sweet jesus that thing took me 2 days and around 9 hours to get going! I am hardly a newbie but I admit I am no seasoned veteran either.

Therefore if this engine makes it easaier for people, then more people will stick with the hobby and surely that is nothing but a good thing? If it doesnt accellerate as quick as Nitro - so what. The vets can stick with their £300 plus Rossi engines - but the point is for new people into the sport, an easy engine is nothing but great news and I hope it takes off therefore bringing more people into the hobby.
Not necessarily fake, but possibly won't make it to mass production. HPI is usually a little hesitatnt to release new ideas. It tries to feel out the market and that's probably a safe thing to do. I agree that easier is good for the market.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

It cant be fake with all the different sites reporting on it. Just seen an article on yet another site but Im not allowed to post links yet.

All you elitest Nitro heads saying Nitro isnt hard is either exactly what I say, elitest, or ignorant. How many people have bought Nitro cars and not been able to start them and then take them back to the shops? I have lost count and see it pretty much most months on forums.

You can call them stupid or whatever but the point remains if people become dissheartened then its not good for the hobby is it?

In 07 I had pull start Hyper ST and a Savvy, and they were both great and quite easy to get going and break in. However, when I bought my Losi 8ight, sweet jesus that thing took me 2 days and around 9 hours to get going! I am hardly a newbie but I admit I am no seasoned veteran either.

Therefore if this engine makes it easaier for people, then more people will stick with the hobby and surely that is nothing but a good thing? If it doesnt accellerate as quick as Nitro - so what. The vets can stick with their £300 plus Rossi engines - but the point is for new people into the sport, an easy engine is nothing but great news and I hope it takes off therefore bringing more people into the hobby.
Well put! I dipped my toe in the nitro world once before with an HPI RS4. Only got it running correctly a few times, and when it was running it was pretty cool. The other times where I got burned, couldn't get it started, broke the pull start, messed with the tune, etc etc.... just was too much of a bother.

So I went back to electric, where I could drop in a battery and go. If these new gas engines can bring that level of ease to RC racing I'd be happy to try it again.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

HPI posted this info on Facebook. they have them at the nuremburg toy fair. I can't wait to see how they run. May change thing up in the rc world.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Nitro isnt hard. Sorry. I am all for trying these gas engine, but i still stand by the fact that nitro isnt hard.

Its not good for the hobby for a non mechanical-minded person to try a nitro when they have no idea what they are doing. But the problem is the fact that they didnt do their research before they bought. If they cant handle nitro, run electric, problem solved...
Old 02-01-2012, 07:43 AM
Suspended

+1
Old 02-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Suspended

Cadimman aka cat man do..

You have got to be one of the most negative posters ever.. every time I see you pop up in a post its something negative.. How about just saying (that'd be great if they end up making them because gas would expand the hobby to more folks) would that be so hard? but then again that'd be less nitro cars for you to nit pick after you receive it so that you can get a partial refund
Old 02-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinballdude
Cadimman aka cat man do..

You have got to be one of the most negative posters ever.. every time I see you pop up in a post its something negative.. How about just saying (that'd be great if they end up making them because gas would expand the hobby to more folks) would that be so hard? but then again that'd be less nitro cars for you to nit pick after you receive it so that you can get a partial refund
READ above. I did. Nastystroker is a stalker...
Old 02-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I for one would love to see these coming out. They sound awesome!
Old 02-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I'm in for an 8th scale gasser. I only run Baja's and nitro and agree Nitro isn't hard. A couple turns with a screwdriver and I can be running all day...now try and talk to me about lipo batteries, can sizes, kv and c rating, turns, and all the heating issue with gearing on Electric cars and I'm completely lost
Old 02-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Okay, I want to know if there is a conversion for the dubbed SCavage! That thing looks sweet!

On the gas powered engine though, I am hoping it will be a direct drop in for the Savage. By the looks of the pictures, it almost is. Other than some few changes. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by I Speek W00kie
Okay, I want to know if there is a conversion for the dubbed SCavage! That thing looks sweet!

On the gas powered engine though, I am hoping it will be a direct drop in for the Savage. By the looks of the pictures, it almost is. Other than some few changes. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!
I'm pretty sure that is the chassis for the 4wd 5SC that is supposed to be released soon
Old 02-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cummins Driver
Nitro isnt hard. Sorry. I am all for trying these gas engine, but i still stand by the fact that nitro isnt hard.

Its not good for the hobby for a non mechanical-minded person to try a nitro when they have no idea what they are doing. But the problem is the fact that they didnt do their research before they bought. If they cant handle nitro, run electric, problem solved...
That's extremely short sighted. When I want to kick back and relax the last thing I want to do is WORK. I consider myself pretty handy and have even been known to follow directions from time to time! But I still had a problem getting my nitro to run consistently and correctly every time. There is little reason that nitro should be any harder than starting your lawnmower or 1/1 car at this point imho.

Remember that everyone needs to start somewhere and we were all newbies at one point. If we want the hobby to grow we need understanding and a willingness to help. If not our hobby will disappear. Heck with an attitude like your's in 20 years nitro will be gone!
Old 02-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkiiina
That's extremely short sighted. When I want to kick back and relax the last thing I want to do is WORK. I consider myself pretty handy and have even been known to follow directions from time to time! But I still had a problem getting my nitro to run consistently and correctly every time. There is little reason that nitro should be any harder than starting your lawnmower or 1/1 car at this point imho.

Remember that everyone needs to start somewhere and we were all newbies at one point. If we want the hobby to grow we need understanding and a willingness to help. If not our hobby will disappear. Heck with an attitude like your's in 20 years nitro will be gone!
If someone has legit questions about nitro or needs help getting going, put me in line to help. Im all for it if they are willing to learn. But the people who arent willing to put the time in and can stand working for their gratification instead of getting instant gratification honestly dont need to fool with nitro. There is a little bit of a learning curve, but it is not hard if you are willing to put the time in.

The guy specifically stated that anyone who thought nitro wasnt hard was simply an "elitist" or "ignorant" of which I am neither. I was replying to his stereotypical response. Some of us find it easier than others.

Originally Posted by mkiiina
There is little reason that nitro should be any harder than starting your lawnmower or 1/1 car at this point imho.
There is a big reason. The power that comes out of these engines for their size is amazing. These are tiny engines. The fact that they run as well as they do, last like they do, and make the power they do is astonishing really.

Have you ever seen a top fuel drag car that was easy to run or didnt require work? They rebuild them after every single round. They go, what? 300mph in 4 or 5 seconds? That is about 38 mph if you put it into 1/8 scale. There arent many good nitro's that wont do 35+mph in 5 seconds. So essentially you are driving something with the power to weight ratio of a top fuel dragster, but that costs much less, and is much simpler, and will go 0-40mph hundreds of times instead of needing rebuilt after every pass.

The reason we havent seen an easy to run GAS 2 stroke in 1/10 and 1/8 r/c's yet is because we are limited on size and a gas engine, while more reliable, cant make the same hp per cubic inch (or centimeter in this case). If these new vehicles from HPI are real and come out, they will be extremely popular if the price and reliability are good. Id love to have one for fuel costs and simplicity alone. However, I still feel that nitro's arent hard to run with a little patience.

Last edited by Cummins Driver; 02-01-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Suspended

Nitro isn't that bad especially these days. I started as teen with some Tamiyas that I built moved up to a nitro buggy and loved it. Was easy for me to grasp it even being about 14 at the time. Not quite as simple as plugging a battery in, but yea. After that nitro I moved up to the no longer made, but truly awesome Traxxas Monster Buggy....talk about a BEAST especially at the time.

I just spoke with an affiliate of mine at HPI Europe about this engine, couldn't give me to many details, but soon my friends soon we will have a 1/8 Gas from HPI!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Tech Adept

http://www.rcdriver.com/rcd/index.ph...cc-gas-engine/

So we spoke with one of the HPI guys, ok, the owner of HPI about the new gas engine. They have been putting in a huge effort to develope the engine. But what we all want to know is… How does it perform. We were told that its just like a Baja engine maintainence-wise, it runs for about 40 minutes on a tank of fuel and pumps out power comparable to .26-.27 nitro engines. HPI is working on getting these fitted to many of their existing platforms. We can’t wait to see this mill in

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.