Wiki Posts
Search

Baja 5t Motor Issues - HELP !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Baja 5t Motor Issues - HELP !!

Okay so its a king motor t1000 29cc not a baja 5t but still before you flame and rant.. the baja doesnt fit into the budget bought this as a truck to take when we camping to the desert.

so i got it used from craigslist killer deal.. set my needles and started right up but it never seems to get to the top revs it just bogs around unless your half way down the street then it starts to open a little.

i started with the LSN adjusted that till i saw smoke coming from the tail pipe and it helped a tad but adjusting the HSN i dont even see a change i could lean it out to the max and it still bogs around. from a dead stop it doesnt even have enough power to spins the tires it just slugs around.

im thinking the clutch might need to be replaced but this is my first 5th scale so im not sure, the clutch bell shows some rusting spots but it def isnt anywhere near 45mph, before i buy a new motor i wanna make sure its not something that is fixable.

thanks for all your help and support.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Tech Adept

Not many large scale guys here, you'll probablly have better luck asking your question on a dedicated large scale site.

http://www.rclargescale.com/forum/

The first thing you'll want to do is set the carb to the factory settings, if that doesn't work, I'd start checking the engine, carb, and fuel system for air leaks. It could be as simple as a hole in your fuel line, or as bad as your engine is toasted.

Here's the FAQ page for gas engines at DDM, it should help you find your problem.

http://www.davesmotors.com/c.885035/site/rccar-faq.html
Old 01-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Its gas not a nitro, you don't need to tune to see smoke. I would reset the needles. Turn both needles in all the way then open the LSN 1.25 and the HSN 1.5, those are the factory settings with a stock exhasut. If you have an aftermarket pipe, set the HSN to 2 turns out from closed.

That should give you a good starting point.

From those settings, you can fine tune the needles. The LSN should be richened to get the lowest reliable idle. The HSN you can fine tune by going rich until it starts to bog, then lean it out by 1/16th of a turn until it doesnt bog any more.

If a your needles dont seem to make any difference in engine speed/performance, I would check for an air leak.

Also, make sure you have fresh gas mixed at 25:1

There's much more to check, but thats a good start.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ssnos
Its gas not a nitro, you don't need to tune to see smoke. I would reset the needles. Turn both needles in all the way then open the LSN 1.25 and the HSN 1.5, those are the factory settings with a stock exhasut. If you have an aftermarket pipe, set the HSN to 2 turns out from closed.

That should give you a good starting point.

From those settings, you can fine tune the needles. The LSN should be richened to get the lowest reliable idle. The HSN you can fine tune by going rich until it starts to bog, then lean it out by 1/16th of a turn until it doesnt bog any more.

If a your needles dont seem to make any difference in engine speed/performance, I would check for an air leak.

Also, make sure you have fresh gas mixed at 25:1

There's much more to check, but thats a good start.
+1 if you want to check for an airleak . while running spray all around the engine with WD40 if it stalls you got an air leak if nothing happens shouldn't be an air leak