Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FG EVo 04 conversion to FG 08-11

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Tech Adept

Default FG EVo 04 conversion to FG 08-11

Hello, I am interested on buying an FG EVO car and a friend is selling me his 04 model in good shape. I would like to know if it's possible to convert this model to the most recent FG EVO release or are there any components that will tie me down and prevent from upgrading to the newer chassis?

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by arix
Hello, I am interested on buying an FG EVO car and a friend is selling me his 04 model in good shape. I would like to know if it's possible to convert this model to the most recent FG EVO release or are there any components that will tie me down and prevent from upgrading to the newer chassis?

Thanks!
Its possible, no problem at all, but will be very expensive because parts sold separately will be more expensive than a new 2011 chassis complete. The only way is make purchase step by step, parts by parts, ie. brakes, front end, and so on.

The EVO 4 is a good warrior machine how it is, donīt worry about it, maybe just a better brakes kit will be enough....
Old 09-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Worrying about brakes is a thing of the PAST!! With the new servos we have running on 2s lipos--you can get over 500oz of torque!! I used standard MECHANICAL brakes in my FG Evo Comp F-1 car and they work VERY well. So well in fact that I used the car to win the Nationals last week in LA! They are lighter--and easier to maintain than my EVO 8 brakes on my STC car! And CHEAPER TOO!!
Hydrolic brakes were made to overcome the servo issue's of not enough power in the past---that's no longer a problem>
FYI
Tim
Old 09-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by potoco
Its possible, no problem at all, but will be very expensive because parts sold separately will be more expensive than a new 2011 chassis complete. The only way is make purchase step by step, parts by parts, ie. brakes, front end, and so on.

The EVO 4 is a good warrior machine how it is, donīt worry about it, maybe just a better brakes kit will be enough....
Nice to see my countryman Potoco is checking out this site too!!!!

Arix, Potoco is right, and so is Tim.

The latest is alwest the most desirable, but it does not necessarely mean that is the best. You should be fine with the EVO04 car and you can upgrade little by little, if you are so worried about having the latest and have money to spare, then get the 2011 version.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by LuisR
Nice to see my countryman Potoco is checking out this site too!!!!

Arix, Potoco is right, and so is Tim.

The latest is alwest the most desirable, but it does not necessarely mean that is the best. You should be fine with the EVO04 car and you can upgrade little by little, if you are so worried about having the latest and have money to spare, then get the 2011 version.
Thanks for the answers guys very helpful! I would love to get the 11' Evo Luis but funds are not available at the moment. I may be able to get a very well maintained Evo 04 and update it little by little, As far as brakes It comes with Magura 1 brakes which I think are nice, I am more concerned about the front end and the sliced chassis plate.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by arix
Thanks for the answers guys very helpful! I would love to get the 11' Evo Luis but funds are not available at the moment. I may be able to get a very well maintained Evo 04 and update it little by little, As far as brakes It comes with Magura 1 brakes which I think are nice, I am more concerned about the front end and the sliced chassis plate.
Hello Luis, how are you my friend?, I hope you are fine....

arix... I would not worry about the front end or the chassis plate at this time. I would put all attention on the brakes because Magura brakes are not very good, in fact they are difficult to make them work properly, specially in hot weather. I prefer Mecatech, especially the last version for FG with dual piston, they are really "free maintenace" and very durables. I do not like the mechanical brake as said Tin Neja because they need calibrate all the time, but in any case they are preferable over Magura 1.

The secret of the any 1/5 scale car are brakes and good tires, of course with the proper setup in order that the first two work fine....

Regards