Wiki Posts
Search

Buying my first 1/5 scale

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Buying my first 1/5 scale

I am going to buy my first 1/5 scale truck. I have ran all the popular 1/8 scale monster trucks and want something bigger. I have always liked the looks of the HPI baja 5t but have came to the realization that I can not afford one. So I have been looking at the Redcat Racing XT and MT(v3) trucks on eBay and Redcat's website. They both are both 4wd and come with a 30cc motor, steel gears, and aluminum chassis and various other options depending on the dealer for under $600 shipped. Is there anyone that can give me any feedback good or bad on either of these trucks or can point me in the direction of another similar price/quality truck that I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1/5 scale trucks is where its at.

Hpi baja trucks are expensive thats for sure but once you have seen and played with one you soon forget about the price ,just finished building the new sc/ss kit ,great build worth every cent . the short course body over the wheels is huge. cant stop bashing this thing about.
All the bits from intergy are cool, hydrolic front brakes ,2speed tranny.
All i can say is that it is hpi quality at its best ,and for those cheap china town 1/5 scalers are exactly that, cheap and probably break everytime you get it wrong . 13 kg truck. good luck.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You guys both need to realize the HPI trucks are NOT expensive. They have quality parts and equipment in them and perform very well in their stock form..Lot's of hop-up parts available--but not necessary. And my experience is--you can buy quality once---or buy cheap and buy twice!!!
FYI
T
Old 05-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default fg all the way

i have owned a baja5b and it was pretty good RC, but i also own a few 1/6 fg marders and IMO there is no comparison. the fg handles way better geared better imo, very tough, new there very expeincive but you can pick up a good used one on fleebay for 350-800. I would say there not as pretty as the hpi baja but outperform them by far. I have read many posts on the redcat and bang for ur buck there not a bad choice. I actually thought about buying the mt 4x4 i think s its around 1200.00 but it sure looks mean
Old 05-21-2011, 02:40 AM
Tech Elite

My god, you should see all the upgrades you can do to the Baja. You can build the car from the ground up, with aftermarket parts alone.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I owne a few HPI bajas and love them.....but FG makes awsome cars too
Old 05-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Tech Initiate

IMO, one should thoroughly research the kit one wants. Like the common items that are needed to operate safely and common items that break. Also factor in the availability of parts at local hobby shops or internet sites. Also another thing I like to look at is the cost of running it.

I was actually looking into getting a Losi LST XXL. But, I chose to go with the HPI Baja 5T.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Tech Rookie

save a bit more money and get the hpi i have a 5b and its awesome
Old 05-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

There are a Lot of companies that make aftermarket parts for the 5B/5T. No one baja is exactly the same, unless you leave it stock. I would suggest going with the SS kits if you do buy into a baja.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks for all the input! I think I am going to go with the one of the Redcat trucks, most likely the XT. It seems to be more attractive to me as almost all my other trucks are monster trucks. Plus it is 4wd and isn't as long as the baja style trucks. Been thinking about having to park a truck that is almost 40 inches long versus one that is just over 30 inches long in my small house and hauling it around when I go camping and playing. Maybe after I get into 1/5 scale a bit more I can work on getting a baja truck. Thanks again!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Great, just make sure you don't break anything.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:08 PM
EJF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (98%+)

Red Cat= POS

i guy i work with has redcat stuff, all of his cars and trucks constanly break and has to order parts, some stuff the parts are hard to come by.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have not heard anything about positive the red cat an the new ones I have seen do not look any better.my opion..

If you are going to get into 5th scale you will do your self a favor and buy one from a company that can support what you pick..hpi baja,mcd,fg hurrax, too name a few all seem to be good they all have thier weak parts and issues but you should now this if you have other r/c's ..

I personally did not research and bought a fscen[copy of a old mcd] which has been a good truck but it took a while to get it there..now it is one of my favorites..easy to work on ..but support comes and goes here in the U.S. ..

either way post up what you decide on...will be good to see