Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
New to 1/5 BAJA 5B/5T HELP THREAD >

New to 1/5 BAJA 5B/5T HELP THREAD

New to 1/5 BAJA 5B/5T HELP THREAD

Old 04-30-2011, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default EVERYTHING 1/5 BAJA 5B/5T/sc HELP/Mod/Build THREAD

I am sure there is some "GENERAL" Baja thread, but I personally been having specific questions as I been moving along with my BAJA 5B and have been posting them on some other guys QUESTION thread. So here is my personal thread... But ANYONE is able to jack it with questions, tip or advice of there own that would help ANYONE with a BAJA.

NEW QUESTION...for me at least I am in the process of tearing down my BAJA to do a stroker kit to 29cc...But in fact, I just found out the kit I purchased will ONLY give me 28.5 since its just the head stroker and NOT the full stroker kit with stuffed crank. So, now that I have this BRAND NEW IN THE BOX...I am thinking of going a whole different route. I can either just buy the stuffed crank to complete a 29cc kit or "GO BIG OR GO HOME"to a Bigger STROKER KIT to 30.5cc (1 of 2 Part#'s cc253+dd312 or cc253+dd308) Does anyone know the exact difference between these two,advantages from to another, do's and don'ts, warnings or go for it!!! ? Anything would help from someone who is quite knowledgable in this area. The only difference I see in the descriptions on DDM is cost! And last, does anyone know how difficult installation of these kits are to someone who have just above medium knowledge of general engines. Thank You so much!

Last edited by *JayVee*; 07-19-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

there is info out there for large scale you wont find much here .or it will take awhile for someone to respond .
Here is a good thread post from another forum
http://www.bajaaddicts.com/showthread.php?t=6911&page=2

it may not work till you sign up
or try this one
http://www.wiseco.com/Calculators.aspx

lots of info out there just have too look around an do some reading.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 338lapua09
there is info out there for large scale you wont find much here .or it will take awhile for someone to respond .
Here is a good thread post from another forum
http://www.bajaaddicts.com/showthread.php?t=6911&page=2
Can u COPY and PASTE the actual info... I clicked on it and I would have to sign in as a active member to view the page.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

here you go from some of the discussion.
[quoted from biggiecamp]
[By that theory it would be a 27.4 with +2mm stroker crank instead of 27.2
The displacement isn't alway a direct addition. There's a formula for it. One of these guys probably knows it.
34mm jug (stock 26 cc) with....
stock crank =25.4
+1 crank = 26.3
+2 crank = 27.2

36mm jug with.....
Stock = 28.5
+1= 29.5
+2= 30.5]
Old 04-30-2011, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Ummmm yeah, Being that I am on the NEW side of things regarding fuel powered RCs... Not sure what that all means... But to play it safe, I may just do what is best of BOTH worlds and reliable... Part #dd310 Stuffed crank already purchased part #ca370 ... I actually thought the STOCK 26cc was quite nice... Fast and good TQ... So, I may just bump it it a notch just for the hell of it... Just wondering if anyone has had any experiences or tech notes/advice. I also noticed doesn't seem to be too many Baja or 1/5 alike here... Seesm to be more directed to touring and off road 1/10-1/8 scale... Which is cool to! I just don't have too many questions right now in those categories...
Old 04-30-2011, 08:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

well your 25.4 is your 26 with stock crank/26.3 + 1mm stroke/27.2+ 2mmstroke
36 mm is your 28.5/29.5/30.5 with the diff stroke for diff folks .lol

the only problem with this is head clearnace shimming ect. most often you can get a long block from a engine builder just as cheap or a few bucks more an us you pieces to run it.
heres a link to dog pile racing good products.
http://www.dogpileracing.com/scripts...?idCategory=24
Old 04-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

well your 25.4 is your 26 with stock crank/26.3 + 1mm stroke/27.2+ 2mmstroke
36 mm is your 28.5/29.5/30.5 with the diff stroke for diff folks .lol

the only problem with this is head clearnace shimming ect. most often you can get a long block from a engine builder just as cheap or a few bucks more an us you pieces to run it.
heres a link to dog pile racing good products.
http://www.dogpileracing.com/scripts...?idCategory=24
Yeah, I noticed most of the other kits and options said or NOTED Modification may be required for fitment and clearance etc... Thats why I think Ima go with the stock bolt on option with a lil more umphfff... Should be nice!

With the kit I am looking to complete ca370 + dd310 is there a significant difference from stock? And what way? Both Top speed and tq? or one of the 2?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

sounds like a plan .
I hope I helped a little .just didnt want to see you get the wrong combo of parts.
I did see some ported options offered at ddm an largescale rc.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

sounds like a plan .
I hope I helped a little .just didnt want to see you get the wrong combo of parts.
I did see some ported options offered at ddm an largescale rc.
Yeah... The combo is what I was opting for... part #s above... Its a complete options with RACE PORTED head and all...full kit...just drop and bolt on to case for approx. $200

I may still consider that. Just really would like a idea of what to expect...
Old 04-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

the long blocks are a good way to go .my next engine is going to be the 29.5 version in a long block. there a many guys running dpr mills and are vary satisfied an have bought seconds.

good luck a keep us posted on your project.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah, will do! And THANKS for all your help and responses... STAY TUNED...I am sure I will have more ?s this weekend...LOL! As for a full motor...LOL! Not yet...But maybe not to far from the future either...
Old 04-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

I just found out I have been calling it the wrong thing , so I just wanna correct my verbage. I don't have a "STROKER" kit... What I have is a CONVERSION kit... Pretty much modded stock parts just bumping up the compression to 29cc or in fact as the charting goes above 28.5... So a conv kit is cool with me From what I was told from someone who did the same thing locally is: "You will notice the difference BIG TIME in my "ROKKIE BAJA EYE AND FEEL!" ~ It will RIP! Shhhhhhhooooot! I was HAPPY with the stock cc's and performance

Either way u cut it... 26cc to 29cc is Nice Its will be the same as if swapping the motor from a 23cc to the SS 26cc... I am sure someone here knows what I am talking about and can relate... NEXT TIME, I will just buy a entire built motor combo = $450~500 ish...

Finally, moddin and build has started...Again Tell u what, I am getting pretty dam familiar with this car back to front... Here is a few phone pics and more to come along the way and progress.

THIS IS PRETTY MUCH HOW I STARTED...Just NOT as clean

Then... THE TEAR DOWN...

Oh YEAH... U see it!!! "HERE WE GO!!!" I was on my 4th during this time of disassembly

Yeah... That is NOT what u think!!! LOL...That came from under the motor and tank...LOL!

Whats NEXT!!!

More to come.............................................. ...
Old 05-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by *JayVee*
I just found out I have been calling it the wrong thing , so I just wanna correct my verbage. I don't have a "STROKER" kit... What I have is a CONVERSION kit... Pretty much modded stock parts just bumping up the compression to 29cc or in fact as the charting goes above 28.5... So a conv kit is cool with me From what I was told from someone who did the same thing locally is: "You will notice the difference BIG TIME in my "ROKKIE BAJA EYE AND FEEL!" ~ It will RIP! Shhhhhhhooooot! I was HAPPY with the stock cc's and performance

Either way u cut it... 26cc to 29cc is Nice Its will be the same as if swapping the motor from a 23cc to the SS 26cc... I am sure someone here knows what I am talking about and can relate... NEXT TIME, I will just buy a entire built motor combo = $450~500 ish...

Finally, moddin and build has started...Again Tell u what, I am getting pretty dam familiar with this car back to front... Here is a few phone pics and more to come along the way and progress.

THIS IS PRETTY MUCH HOW I STARTED...Just NOT as clean

Then... THE TEAR DOWN...

Oh YEAH... U see it!!! "HERE WE GO!!!" I was on my 4th during this time of disassembly

Yeah... That is NOT what u think!!! LOL...That came from under the motor and tank...LOL!

Whats NEXT!!!

More to come.............................................. ...

wow a lot of nice goodies you got yourself there
Old 05-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cndnitro
wow a lot of nice goodies you got yourself there
And the first pick...When I said how I started, I do want to clarify...The 1st time around when I bought several goodies tore it down from STOCK FORM, installed mods and re-assembled... What you see now is the 2nd tear down, mod and rebuild...
Old 05-06-2011, 02:21 AM
Tech Elite

well... since my last post or update, here is the most recent pics of my progress of my build. As seen in pics above, I installed the NEW Dom V2 pipe, Walbro #813 (chokeless) carb, 29cc Conversion, MSD Plug w/TAYLOR 8MM wire, TEAM CHASE Shock Tower risers, TR HD Clutch System, Cage risers, ATC H-Bomb support & quick cage release kit and iNTEGY front disc brakes. Since the pics were taken, some parts needed a lil tweeking here and there for proper fitment and function.

Last edited by *JayVee*; 05-06-2011 at 03:49 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.