Wiki Posts
Search

rc10 l3 oval kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Cool rc10 l3 oval kit

i was wonder if any of you guys would know were i could get some parts for my oval car, its pritty old its a roller with a brushed motor everything looks nicebut what esc or servo should i use and that sort of stuff
Old 03-16-2011, 05:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Futaba 9650 is a typical choice for servos.

check the following websites for parts--
www.rc4less.com
www.lefthander-rc.com
www.windtunnelracingproducts.com

Also check www.hobbytalk.com for more info on oval. Everything else you want to know will depend on the classes being run at your track.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:12 AM
Tech Addict

Hey PJ!

I would go to to your local track and see what those guys are running. Typically, most tracks will have a "Sportsman" or "Breakout" class, which is good for those with older cars. That car's at least eight years old, but it'll still run pretty good PJ already recommended a servo for ya; I'd look into getting a Novak GTB2 or a Castle Mamba Pro 1s ESC (fairly cheap). You can find them pretty decently priced (used) on the Swap 'n Sell boards (PJ again recommended HobbyTalk; those are pretty good message boards over there). For motors, the ESC's mentioned will run brushed as well as brushless, but right now, pretty much everything's brushless anyways. Again, you can find good used stuff online fairly cheap.

I'd also look into getting at least three sets of tires. BSR, Jaco, RC4Less, TM are the major brands. Again, talk to the guys at your local track to see what they recommend.

You haven't mentioned bodies. ProtoForm is about the most popular; they have what's referred to as the old "Nationwide" style (non-CoT), a CoT, and a Truck body. McAllister has some greatlooking bodies as well, including Late Model type and the current Nationwide Mustang. They also put out a CoT style body.

Bottom line: see what's running at your local place
Old 03-16-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Angry

Reported
Old 03-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

thanks for the advise guys is it possible to turn this into a dirt oval car.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Tech Addict

No. The pan car chassis do not work on dirt oval tracks. You need something based off of a "buggy" or "offroad" type car (4-heel independent suspension, usually something like a 2.25:1 transmisson). The direct-drive, live-axle cars such as the L3 won't work on dirt.

If you're looking to go dirt oval racing, try the forums over at www.dirtoval.com. Lots of knowledgeable guys there to help you out.

The L3 is/was an asphalt/concrete/carpet chassis, originally designed for 4- and 6-cell racing. Nowadays, cars (the new chassis) are running 1-cell LiPo and brushless motors. The L3 wasn't really designed for the newer technology, but as I said, can be made into a decent "Sportsman" or "breakout" car if your track runs that type of class.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default L3

I run an L3 every Sat. It works perfectly for the oval parking lot that is setup at our local hobby town. Parts are getting scarce for them, so don't break it As far as servos go, I would purchase one that has high speed and double ball bearings. Look at the specs. We race 21.5 brushless motors in the pan car class with 2cell lipos, or 6 cell nicads. We also allow 19T brushed motors in the class. I personally use the mamba max pro and make use of the cheat mode. With out it, there would be no way to be competitive.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I just got an L3 that has the L4 chassis conversion on it. I will be running it on a high banked oval concrete track normally used for karts. We have a 13.5 brushless rule with 1s lipo and bsr spec rubber cap tires. I to will be looking for spare parts for this car, and any pinion gear info. I don't know where to start. Its 64p gears and the spur is 112, I put a 20t pinion to start. I have a Novak 13.5 SS motor and a GTB2 esc. Any suggestions on setup or gearing??
Old 03-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stickman!!
I just got an L3 that has the L4 chassis conversion on it. I will be running it on a high banked oval concrete track normally used for karts. We have a 13.5 brushless rule with 1s lipo and bsr spec rubber cap tires. I to will be looking for spare parts for this car, and any pinion gear info. I don't know where to start. Its 64p gears and the spur is 112, I put a 20t pinion to start. I have a Novak 13.5 SS motor and a GTB2 esc. Any suggestions on setup or gearing??
That is a good start for gearing but I would be willing to bet you will need to lots taller. We run a 150 foot line on carpet and I run a 88 spur with a 35 pinion and run time and heat are not a problem. With a 13.5 single cell, novak GTB esc.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well I found out the proper gearing. I got an 88/63 setup on it now and it worked great. Actually set the fastest lap and won the main. I really like this car. Turns out the car is an l4 and most all cars run the l4 front end parts, they are easy to find on associated's website. We were running 1S lipos with 13.5 motors and most everybody was in the 7.5 to 7.8 sec lap. The track is pretty fun.

If anybody is interested its in Brasleton GA right behind Lanier National speedway. Practice on Wednesdays, racing once a month on Sat's. They race go karts on the other Sats.