Wiki Posts
Search

Baja Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 06:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Baja Racing

Anyone race their baja? I'm planning to run a few races at a local track this coming season and wondering what are good tires to get. Also as far as durability, what parts should I carry as spares.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:09 AM
Tech Regular

Hows Proline's Bowtie tires

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-LIne-Bowtie-...f07d02cb3#shId

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-line-Bowtie-...item3f07d02cb2
Old 03-05-2011, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Glad to hear more are contemplating racing these - they're a BLAST on the race track in my opinion!

Durability wise, I've carried a LOT of parts over the years and broken very few. Arms are always a good idea, drive train parts are always a good idea - spur gears and an extra set of dog bones is not a bad idea either. Shock shafts sometimes bend. BUT, for the most part, you will be impressed by the durability of the Baja.

Tires are totally track specific - it's all about the compound and to some extent tread pattern. ProLine Badlands are a good starting point to see where the compound is at with your track - if the Baja pushes, obviously you're getting rear grip and then look through the ProLine catalog and match the front compound to the rear. In my case, I had a worn set of Badlands (2 years ago when there were not quite as many tires available) that I sectioned a .75 or so piece out of the middle of the tread and made a custom set of fronts that were amazing. Still have those too!

I'm very anxious to try the HotBodies white compound tires - they feel soft and VERY grippy.

Hostile makes several different tires - their soft compound is very grippy too and they make lots of different tread patterns.

As a rule of thumb, if theres a lot of loam, you need big, MX style knobs to DIG, if it's smooth and dusty, a lesser tread usually works well BUT there needs to be somewhere for the dust to go; slicks don't work anywhere that I've seen. And, there's lots of room for experimentation too - add sipes one direction or the other depending on if you are looking for forward bite or side bite.....

Enjoy the racing!!
Old 04-07-2011, 05:37 AM
Tech Addict

Hey guys have only raced my baja once but it is a blast!!! i have run hotbodies Kaos white compound they are fantastic!! best traction i have ever had with the baja so far, but i havn't tried prolines yet, but am about to test hotbodies double blades this weekend to see how they go. As for parts to change, the only things i have had to change so far has been front steering turnbuckles as the standard ones bend very easily, rear drive shafts, they broke at my first race meeting, the front hub E-Clip removal mod, had one of my front wheels come off mid race! and rear shock droop limiter straps to stop the rear arms dropping to far and popping out the drive shafts . Nice to haves are rear adjustable turn buckles, windows and yamadude style linkage setup, rear hub extenders to stop the wheels from rubbing on the arm, and a good setup!!!

Cheers and have fun racing.
Scott