Search

hpi or king motors????

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jd267
well 800 shipped to me VR 1200 pluss shipping not to close if you ask me
I've seen 5Ts on eBay for $1,000 shipped.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

i here ya guys im just going to go with a hpi
Old 01-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

sure the Baja is just a toy, but the Ethics behine how the KM/Rovan baja came to be is an old tale, that has destroyed kingdoms.

would it still only be a toy, if tomorrow, China said USA< we want our money or your country?

lets look at it from a different angle.

you, yourself, develp a product. lets say its a new microwave, that works solely from stored UV rays.

you now develop, produce and market the item for 100.00 usd. good usefull american made product, at a fair price. considering it cost you around 85.00 to make, 15.00 profit from each unit sold is good money.

now enter the China Clone Company. the CCC profit devision bought this great item someone got in the USA, its a UV operated Microwave. they reverse engineer it, and figure out they can produce and sell the item for 25.00 usd. so they do. but they sell it for 75.00.

So not only do they now make your product without permission, or even paying the original company any royalties (YOU) they make 3.4 times as much profit on each item sold. So before long, you wont have a product to sell. Why you ask? well everyone that only cares about saving a buck will buy the chinese clone unit, and save 25.00.

meanwhile you sell 0 units, that is unless there are a few people like myself, that CARE about how they spend their money. If your fortunate, their will be Enough people like myself, maybe your company can survive. or MAYBE if their are ALOT more people like me, its possible the Cloner company wont survive (even with a less expensive product), because i care about where i spend my money and WHOS ass gets to got to Work in the AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

ok guys calm down lol i here what your saying money is just tight . dont need a history lesson
Old 01-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Suspended

hey, i can understand that just as much as the next guy.

when the baja first was released in june of 06. i had 6 plus months to save up some mulah for one.

all i am saying, is IF you can wait a few weeks, or a month to get the extra cash for the HPI, in the long run, it would be the best option, impo.

you have to buy what you have to afford. thats the way it is.
just keep the Big picture in mind. im afraid if we americans dont do that, we wont be american for long.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Timmahh
hey, i can understand that just as much as the next guy.

when the baja first was released in june of 06. i had 6 plus months to save up some mulah for one.

all i am saying, is IF you can wait a few weeks, or a month to get the extra cash for the HPI, in the long run, it would be the best option, impo.

you have to buy what you have to afford. thats the way it is.
just keep the Big picture in mind. im afraid if we americans dont do that, we wont be american for long.
nicely put man just going with a used 5t
Old 01-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Tech Rookie

I own a kmt1000 about 5 months old and yes all parts so far have been a direct hpi bolt on or after market compatable. As far as reliabilty the motor is by kings motors and is ok at best....i just replaced mine w/26cc cy from 5t kit from ebay....also as most rtr radios and servos i have replaced mine w/upgraded units....i have added most after market upgrades that even the hpi 5t needs and still have spent less than a new hpi w/same options....if i had to do over i would purchase a used hpi 5t and upgrade from there and probably have the same money involved plus be able to race in hpi sanctioned events,etc. As far as clone versus other i do understand but i could not have afforded a 5th scale otherwise.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

im a Big proponant of buying the HPI version.

when you buy the Cloned version (not a similar vehicle, not alot like a baja, but a clone, or nearly an exact copy) you are promoting and supporting open theft of intellectual properties.

remember, China, does not have to play fairly. and they dont. you may be saving some cash, but buy purchasing these Clone bajas, you are further saying, hey i dont care about my country, my family, or my or my neighbors job, i just care about saveing some money.

and if that is your bottom line (saving money) then go ahead, but when China is your government, dont expect myself to fight the war with them for YOUR freedoms as well as mine.
Don;'t get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for Timmahh, I started with a Genuine 5B in 2006/7 and he was one of the most helpful blokes on the Baja forums, since then I have had a couple of clones as well as my 5B, I have none at the moment due to issues running locally.

That said, I think people are way too political about this, If someone buys a clone, they're not trying to hurt America, or any other country, sometimes it's simply a case of what they can't afford compared to what they can. If someone buying a clone gets them into the hobby, and they decide to move up to a HPI later, how the f.. is this a bad thing?

There are plenty of fanatics on the net who will have you believe that if you buy a clone, you're a traitor who deserves to be hung drawn and quartered, which IMO is a load of bs. This is the sort of fanaticism that scares people away from RC as it takes the fun away.

Buy whats in your budget, World War 3 won't start because you bought a Clone and not a HPI despite what ppl like Timmahh will tell you.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nexxus : well said ! some of them just can't afford the original.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Suspended

well, again, as always, you have taken one small portion of my thread, and decide to build and entire case around it. which in the end, doesnt even really have anything to do with my overall statment. typical.

i ll make this simple. if your an educated buyer, and fully and willingly choose to buy items soley on bottom dollar cost, then you deserve what you have coming to you. and make no mistake, it will come.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

well, again, as always, you have taken one small portion of my thread, and decide to build and entire case around it. which in the end, doesnt even really have anything to do with my overall statment. typical.

i ll make this simple. if your an educated buyer, and fully and willingly choose to buy items soley on bottom dollar cost, then you deserve what you have coming to you. and make no mistake, it will come.
What he said.. Stick with the HPI. I assure you the quality difference will cost you the price difference in the very near future with King motor copies..
Old 01-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
Don;'t get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for Timmahh, I started with a Genuine 5B in 2006/7 and he was one of the most helpful blokes on the Baja forums, since then I have had a couple of clones as well as my 5B, I have none at the moment due to issues running locally.

That said, I think people are way too political about this, If someone buys a clone, they're not trying to hurt America, or any other country, sometimes it's simply a case of what they can't afford compared to what they can. If someone buying a clone gets them into the hobby, and they decide to move up to a HPI later, how the f.. is this a bad thing?

There are plenty of fanatics on the net who will have you believe that if you buy a clone, you're a traitor who deserves to be hung drawn and quartered, which IMO is a load of bs. This is the sort of fanaticism that scares people away from RC as it takes the fun away.

Buy whats in your budget, World War 3 won't start because you bought a Clone and not a HPI despite what ppl like Timmahh will tell you.
Buying a clone DOES hurt the original manufacturer which in turn hurts the people of the country of origin. In this case it is America. If you can't see that you are blind.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I have worked on both, with both and owned an HPI.. Actually several of them.. I can tell you that buying a clone is only hurting yourself. If you don't have the money to buy the real thing then find something else that you can afford or keep saving. I am serious when I say that the money spent in repairs will equal the difference on the initial purchase.

Last edited by RACETEK; 01-05-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default CLONES

There is a bigger issue to also take into consideration.. The CLONES hurt the industry that supports us, that's a fact.. But what bothers me more is the fact that if you do mods to anything baja you need to realize that most of the hop-up were designed, built and produced by good old hard working americans. People like u and me.. For instance, the Knobby looking tires that KM now sells are copies of HOSTILE's, the 2 speed is stolen from Baja Skunk Works, the Aluminum rear Hubs were stolen for Holstile, white arms, and wheels were stolen from Proline, they also stole the Trencher tire design from proline, rear dominator pipe was stolen from DDM.. The list goes on.. So they not only stole from HPI but now they continue to dig deeper into the pockets of the American Small business.. The reason they keep getting deeper into our world is because we American's are "just looking to save alitte money".. Well my advice is to SAVE alittle longer a get the REAL DEAL.. Mostly if you cant afford a 5th scale than just stick to 10th and 8th until u can.. Lastly,, We got to stop killing ourselves even if it JUST A TOY.. Thats the mentality that is killing the good'ol USA.......GOD BLESS AMERICA And Our VETERANS
Old 01-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

IMO.........HPI......GOOD CHOICE JD
Attached Thumbnails hpi or king motors????-image10142010143345.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.