Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
1/10 Sprint Oval What's BEST? What's out there? >

1/10 Sprint Oval What's BEST? What's out there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 Sprint Oval What's BEST? What's out there?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 06:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1/10 Sprint Oval What's BEST? What's out there?

I'm lookin at getting a R/C sprint car! I know the car of choice is mose likely the Losi Sprinter! I'm not a huge Losi fan and haven't been one to follow the crowd in the past, What other sprint car chassis are out there? What chassis do you think is the best?

I found this sprint car! What do you think of it? Would I be able to race this sprint car on dirt?

RJ Speed Outlaw Sprinter Kit

Description: its a Legends style chassis with 10" wheelbase, full molded roll cage and nerf bars. Go to www JRSpeed com for more info and pictures.

LMK what you think and thanks for your input!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I would suggest looking at Custom Works also.

Scott
Old 12-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Losi requires a lot of work and money to be even close to competitve with actual "race" sprints. We run them as a class of their own at our track.

The R J Speed is the old Bolink direct drive sprint with virtually no suspension. Works on carpet but cannot compete equally with the Cobra Nemisis (when set up as direct drive), or even other sprints without DD.

As far as dirt as the previous post says, look at Custom Works. There are some others like Dynotech, Cobra Nemisis (when set up for dirt), and others.

If you are going to an existing track, see what is being run and if you have parts support. It is easy to break arms and pivot blocks on sprint cars with the exposed wheels.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Check with the track that you plan on racing at. Ask around a little...talk to the fast guys...find out what is working and who is willing to help you out.

What type of surface? I know dirt...but are you going to be racing on a loose dirt track that is a buggy tire track? Or will you be racing on a packed dirt track that is a foam tire track? There are different cars available for different types of tracks.

There are actually quite a few choices for good sprint cars available. Their websites might not be completely up to date...but JRC, GFRP, Custom Works, Dynotech, and Putnam Propulsion all offer very good sprint cars.

Also...take a look at DODC...there is a lot of good info there.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

go to dirtoval.com and look in the forum there. you will find a lot more about other available sprints that are out there. Some are more money but you will get what you are paying for.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

If the track you'll run is a loose-dirt, buggy-tire track, the losi can be effective. If it's a hard-packed, foam-tire track, go with one of the other chassis.

The Losi chassis and suspension-arm plastic is not very rigid, so on a smooth track it flexes, instead of the suspension doing the work. On a loose-dirt track, they can be made to be quite competitive for not much extra investment. None of the big-bucks chassis have been able to consistently beat them on our loose-dirt track.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markd469
If the track you'll run is a loose-dirt, buggy-tire track, the losi can be effective. If it's a hard-packed, foam-tire track, go with one of the other chassis.

The Losi chassis and suspension-arm plastic is not very rigid, so on a smooth track it flexes, instead of the suspension doing the work. On a loose-dirt track, they can be made to be quite competitive for not much extra investment. None of the big-bucks chassis have been able to consistently beat them on our loose-dirt track.
Your 100% right!!

+1
Old 02-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

OK, I guess I better update this tread, now that Customworks came out with their loose-dirt sprint car chassis. I know I'll be racing against one next Saturday for the first time (if he shows up), so I'll let you know. It looks sweet, but costs a lot more than the Slider.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hyperdrive, and Custom Works have very competitive cars. They cost a bit more than a Losi, but I promise you...the Losi does not compare.

We are also working on a few prototypes for the BMS, and are having good results so far, however the BMS elecric stuff is probably nearly a year away from production.

If you want something now, and competitive I would highly recommend the Custom Works Outlaw.